eNews Vol. II, No. 12

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2001
      Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 12

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter.
      Thank you for passing this eNewsletter on to others.

      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Please
      visit our Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com to see
      our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas, and
      stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Chris Glaser�s Travels
      2. �Come Home!�
      3. �Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts and LGBT
      Presbyterians�
      4. Dr. Truluck in New Orleans
      5. 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse'
      6. Chi Rho Press� Traveling Bookstore

      1. Chris Glaser Travels

      Chris Glaser is probably the best-known gay Christian
      writer in America today.

      The author of many best-selling books, including one
      published by Chi Rho Press (see next article), Chris is
      a powerful and important spokesperson for sexual
      minority people of faith. (Chris is also a contributor
      to Chi Rho Press� important anthology, �Called OUT! The
      Voices and Gifts and LGBT Presbyterians;� see article
      number 3.)

      Chris will be speaking at several events in June,
      including the Pride worship (they are expecting some
      400 people to attend) in San Jose, California, June
      8-10, and at a gay library center in San Francisco on
      June 10th.

      Contacts: for the San Jose events: Vaughn Beckman,
      VFBeckman@.... For the San Francisco events: Jim
      Mitulski, jmitulski@....

      Chris will also be attending the Presbyterian General
      Assembly June 12-16 in Louisville KY and doing a book
      signing there. Both �Come Home!� and �Called Out� have
      been ordered for this book signing. Contact Julie
      Moloney (jmoloney@...) or Annie McClure
      (AMcclure@...) for more information.

      2. �Come Home!�

      �Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community as
      Gay Men and Lesbians,� second edition, by Chris Glaser.
      first published in 1990 by HarperCollins, the second
      edition was published in 1998 by Chi Rho Press with the
      addition of five new chapters to the original 20.

      �Come Home!� is perhaps Chris Glaser�s best book. It is
      divided into five sections, each with five chapters.
      The five sections are entitled, �Welcoming God�s
      Acceptance,� �Receiving Our Inheritance,� �Discerning Our
      Call,� �Making Our Witness,� and �Declaring Our Vision.�

      Bishop John Shelby Spong called �Come Home!� �powerful,
      sensitive, and provocative. . . . Glaser stands inside
      his own humanity as a gay male and hears the word of God
      through the Bible. Christians, gay and straight, need
      this book if we are to be the body of Christ.�

      This is a brilliant and important book by perhaps the
      best-known Gay Christian writer in the U.S. today.

      The Rev. Carter Heyward called �Come Home!� �an
      enthusiastic compelling testimony to the power of faith
      in the lives of many gay and lesbian Christians.�

      Virginia Ramey Mollenkott said, �If courage, honesty,
      and insight are beautiful, then this is one beautiful
      book. . . . I rejoice that in this book all the gay
      men and lesbian women who have been robbed of their
      spirituality are issued an urgent invitation: Come home!�

      �Come Home!� by Chris Glaser offers a vision of faith,
      hope, and affirmation inviting gay men and lesbians to
      come home to their spirituality through Christian faith
      and community. Order your copy today!

      �Come Home!� is available for $19.95 each, $14.95 each
      for six or more copies, plus shipping and handling.

      3. �Called OUT! The Voices and Gifts and LGBT
      Presbyterians�

      Now more than ever, it is important to hear the voices of
      LGBT people of faith. Our first anthology, �Called OUT!
      The Voices and Gifts and LGBT Presbyterians� is a good
      place to start. Edited by lesbian evangelist the Rev.
      Jane Adams Spahr, Kathryn Poethig, Selisse Berry, and
      Melinda McLain, �Called OUT� is in its second printing
      with Chi Rho Press.

      Chris Glaser is just one of 40 gay, lesbian, bisexual,
      and transgendered Presbyterians whose stories appear in
      �Called OUT.� It is not just a book for Presbyterians
      however, but it is a book for all people of faith who
      are in the LGBT community, who are non-gay friends and
      allies, or who are struggling with the issue of
      homosexuality in the church. Read this book and get
      to know the real face of LGBT spirituality.

      You may order �Called OUT� on our web page at
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com using our handy shopping
      cart and paying with your credit card. �Called OUT�
      sells for $17.95, six or more copies are $15.25 each,
      plus shipping and handling.

      4. Dr. Truluck in New Orleans

      Dr. Rembert S. Truluck will meet the Rev. Mel White and
      other Soulforce activists in New Orleans to oppose the
      Southern Baptist Convention's historically unfriendly
      message to Christian sexual minorities in early June.
      Dr. Truluck is the author of 'Steps to Recovery from
      Bible Abuse,' published by Chi Rho Press.

      Dr. Truluck writes in his email newsletter announcing
      his trip, 'You and I and Soulforce . . . are part of our
      mission from God to bring truth, hope, freedom, and self-
      acceptance to all of our LGBT sisters and brothers
      throughout the world. There is no turning back. We have
      to take our stand.'

      Dr. Truluck will begin his ministry activities in New
      Orleans Friday, June 8, at the Faubourg Marigny bookstore
      where he will sign copies of his book. Employees at
      Faubourg have already received a positive response from
      customers eager for an opportunity to learn more about Dr.
      Truluck's ministry. This signing is one of many Dr.
      Truluck has held across the country to share his
      interpretation of Christian scriptures, a studied and
      unique perspective.

      Dr. Truluck's Internet ministry, http://www.truluck.com,
      has received more than 12 million visitors since 1997.

      Also while in New Orleans, Dr. Truluck will lead a workshop
      about spiritual healing after Reverend White preaches on
      Sunday, June 10, at the Metropolitan Community Church in
      New Orleans.

      Ambush, the New Orleans gay and lesbian newspaper, will
      also be featuring Dr. Truluck in an article about him and
      his book. Visit http://www.truluck.com or read Ambush
      for more details about Dr. Truluck's New Orleans visit.

      Dr. Truluck's visit to New Orleans will be the first
      time the author has officially teamed up with Rev.
      White's Soulforce, Inc., an organization dedicated to
      spiritual justice for lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and
      transgendered (LGBT) people. The Laguna Beach, CA
      organization bases its activities on the teachings of
      Mahatma Ghandi and Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.

      The Southern Baptist Convention is the largest non-Catholic
      religious body in the United States with membership of
      about 16 million people. Every year representatives of
      Southern Baptist Churches meet to in to decide on policies
      of the church. Southern Baptists have taken anti-gay
      positions for many years and continue their policies of
      misinformation.

      '[The Southern Baptists] believe sincerely that [LGBT
      people] are both sick and sinful; that the so called
      'gay agenda' threatens the American family; that our call
      for the rights/rites of marriage will undermine that
      'sacred institution;' that we should not be allowed to
      adopt or foster parent, to teach or coach children, to
      serve in the military, let alone be ordained for Christian
      ministry,' according to a recent Soulforce communication.
      The organization discusses specifics of its planned
      demonstration, scheduled for June 11-13, in a news
      release available on the Soulforce web site,
      http://www.soulforce.org.

      The Press published Dr. Truluck's book in January 2000,
      and the book is already in its second printing, It is our
      fastest-selling title (see following article).

      5. 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse'

      The second printing of one of our most exciting,
      important, and unique books is now available! We
      urge Southern Baptists especially to buy and read
      this important book.

      'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' has only been
      improved with the second printing! The cover is now
      laminated and much more durable. The back cover
      features a bar code for easier handling by bookstores.
      This printing also includes the Library of Congress
      Cataloging-in-Publication information. And lastly,
      the author has written a short update that readers
      will enjoy.

      Sales of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' continue
      to be very strong. Ads for Dr. Truluck's book have
      appeared in the Advocate, The Other Side, Open Hands,
      and Ambush and the Times Picayune in New Orleans.

      'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' continues to be
      our fastest-selling title. It is still available for
      only $24.95, or $18.75 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.

      6. Chi Rho Press� Traveling Bookstore Schedule

      Join us for these Traveling Bookstores.

      June 10 we are going to MCC Baltimore and their parish
      extension in Columbia, MD. The Rev. David Smith is our
      host. MCC Baltimore meets at 10 am at the Waxter
      Center, 1000 Cathedral St., Baltimore, MD.
      MCC Columbia meets at 6:30 pm at the Oakland Mills
      Interfaith Center, 'the end of Thunderhill Road,'
      Columbia, MD. http://www.mccbaltimore.org/

      June 23 and 24 we are visiting MCC Rehoboth, DE, opening
      up our Traveling Bookstore after the Sunday service, at 9
      and 10:30 am at their new location at 21 Midway Center,
      Highway One, Rehoboth Beach, DE.
      http://www.mccrehoboth.org/

      July 21 and 22 we are going to New Life MCC in Norfolk,
      VA. The Rev. Marty Luna and the Rev. Maria Wolfe are
      our hosts. The church meets at 10:30 am at 4035 East
      Ocean View Ave., Norfolk, VA.
      http://www.newlifemcc.org/

      We are available usually two weekends a month to travel
      in the nearby Mid-Atlantic region (since we drive to these
      'gigs'). Please write if you are interested in hosting the
      Chi Rho Press Traveling Bookstore at your local church
      or organization we are not limited to MCCs by any means!

      Let us know if you would like to have Chi Rho Press'
      traveling bookstore come to your church or organization!

      Summer is sneaking up on us here in the Washington DC
      area, and not a moment too soon! We are keeping very
      busy here at your Press. Editor/Office Manager Kevin
      Stone Fries is working hard each day on Dr. Sandy
      Bochonok�s book of daily devotionals, �Living as the
      Beloved: One Day at a Time.� We are working on other
      new publications as well, and awaiting two important new
      manuscripts.

      In addition, Kevin is working hard to reorganize our
      filing system. Data entry continues with our sales
      history. And other office work continues apace.

      Our Traveling Bookstores are a lot of fun and we enjoy
      meeting our friends and supporters when we are on the
      road. If you are near any of the cities we are visiting,
      please stop by and introduce yourselves!

      We hope you will visit our Web page and avail yourself of
      many of the excellent books we offer there. We are proud
      of our book list and hope you are as well.

      We had a lovely letter from the President of the HIV/AIDS
      Prevention Society of Vijay, in Delhi, India, requesting
      copies of our books on HIV/AIDS. We were pleased to be
      able to send him copies of 'Families Re-Membered: Pastoral
      Support for Friends and Families Living with HIV/AIDS' and
      "To Celebrate and to Mourn: Litugical Resources for
      Worshipping Communities Living with AIDS' by Rev. Dr.
      Louis Kavar, and 'I'm Still Dancing! A Gay Man's Health
      Experience' by Rev. Steve Pieters.

      I am constantly amazed how our titles reach people as far
      away as India. We are truly blessed to be able to provide
      resources for our sisters and brothers all over the world.

      As part of the Chi Rho Press community, you are indeed a
      part of a globe-girdling enterprise. We thank God daily
      for the opportunities for ministry God has provided us.

      Have a wonderful week! God bless you.

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of our eNewsletter to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com/. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@.... For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      eNews@....
      For all other correspondence, please write

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our
      Web page or through our Canadian distributor, MAP
      Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, Odessa,
      ONT, Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail:
      mailto:mapenterprises@...; phone or fax:
      1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message)
      1-877-245-9569.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....