Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 4, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 4, 2008

      Love your enemies

      Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'You
      shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.'
      But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for
      those who persecute you, so that you may be children
      of your Parent in heaven; for God makes the sun rise
      on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the
      righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love
      those who love you, what reward do you have? Do
      not even the tax-collectors do the same? And if
      you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more
      are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles
      do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly
      Creator is perfect."
      Matthew 5:43-48

      I heard a remarkable story about a military chaplain
      serving with the United States Marine Corps during
      the first Persian Gulf War in 1991. They had many
      prisoners of war (POWs) in the desert camps. The
      days were blazing hot. Cans of fluid were precious
      and wise soldiers carefully rationed them throughout
      the day. This particular chaplain was thirsty and
      tempted to drink his water early in the day. Instead
      he determined to save it for later. He would drink
      it before going to sleep. This thought consoled him
      as he went about his duties in the terrible heat of
      the day. His thirst grew hourly.

      Many of the American and Allied soldiers treated the
      Iraqi POWs harshly. War is war. Kill or be killed.
      And the prisoners were also thirsty. Fluid priorities
      went to the American soldiers as they guarded their
      prisoners. As the chaplain made his rounds, he
      noticed one Iraqi prisoner almost dead with thirst.
      His own thirst was powerful. It would have been so
      easy to look the other way. But he did not. His
      soldiers discouraged him, reminding him that he
      should take care of himself so he could take care
      of them. There was not enough water to go around,
      but the chaplain slowly knelt and held his can of
      water to the dying enemy soldier's lips.

      Love your enemies. "If your enemy is hungry, feed
      him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drinkĀ…
      do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with
      good" (Romans 12:20-21).

      God, help us love our enemies. Help us pray for
      those who persecute us with the love of Christ.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com