Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 27, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 27, 2008

      Rediscover your passion and purpose for living

      "You are the light of the world."
      Matthew 5:14a

      A few years ago, I joined a lighthouse society and
      served as a lighthouse keeper with other volunteers,
      walking the rugged Washington coastline and spending
      many hours enjoying walks on the beach. One of the
      lighthouses is five miles offshore and determined
      hikers have a rigorous journey along the world's
      longest natural sand spit. For some, it is their
      Holy Grail. Hikers come from near and far, journeying
      towards its distinctive guiding light. One woman
      hiker said to me, "I came here because I wanted to
      rediscover my passion and purpose in living."

      Those who sail these mighty waters have nicknamed
      this area, "Cape Shipwreck." In the old days before
      there was a Coast Guard, when ships went down, the
      lighthouse keepers went out in small boats in
      dangerous waters to save lives often at great
      personal risk.

      Every lighthouse has a distinctive signature light,
      to help navigators at sea determine if they are
      heading towards dangerous waters. This particular
      lighthouse light flashes every five seconds, day
      and night. While serving as a lighthouse keeper,
      I noticed the flashing light became more visible
      and brilliant as each night grew darker. When foul
      weather blankets the area, a foghorn blasts every
      two minutes, an audible sound warning those at sea
      of immediate danger.

      The lighthouse is a universal symbol of hope and
      faith. We are called to be both keepers and senders
      of the light. We must always remember that there
      are many pilgrims locally and globally searching
      for sustaining, meaningful, life-giving, healing,
      and loving God-light. Many a sailor lost at sea
      has been brought home into safe harbor through the
      glimmer of a faint light in the distance.

      Share your God-light generously. By doing so, you
      will rediscover your passion and purpose in living.

      O Holy Light, shine brightly in our darkness and
      guide our way with wisdom. O Light Divine, teach
      us how to journey in Your light. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com