Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 2, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 5:56 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 2, 2008

      Blessed rest

      "Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and
      all their multitude. And on the seventh day God
      finished the work that had been done, and God rested
      on the seventh day from all the work that had been
      done. So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed
      it, because on it God rested from all the work that
      God had done in creation."
      Genesis 2:1-3

      God worked six days and then set an astonishing
      universal precedent of holy rest for humanity. As
      human beings made in the divine image, we likewise
      need a rhythm of work and rest. Work and rest are
      good for our souls. As a North American, I realize
      this concept is counter-cultural. My society worships
      activity. Realistically, many must work longer hours
      to pay their bills in a troubled economy.

      But a dramatic biblical story beautifully illustrates
      a common need for Sabbath rest. The people of Israel
      were slaves without rest.

      Think about this. Rest dignifies and restores
      creativity. People need rest or they become enslaved
      by work. Consider your own life. Where are you in
      need of blessed rest? Are you enslaved by unhealthy
      and exhausting work rhythms? How and where can you
      make changes to enjoy a rhythm of sacred rest?

      Rest is a vital part of the creation mandate. Reclaim
      blessed rest and you will feel like a new person,
      renewed and refreshed in a hectic, often exhausting
      world.

      God, please bring us into moments of blessed rest and
      renewal as part of our soul care. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com