Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 24, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 24, 2008

      Solitude and community

      "Now during those days he went out to the mountain
      to pray; and he spent the night in prayer to God."
      Luke 6:12

      "Solitude is inner fulfillment."
      Richard Foster

      Solitude and loneliness are not the same. Loneliness
      is inner emptiness, but solitude is inner fulfillment.
      In his book Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster
      writes that solitude "is more a state of mind and heart
      than it is a place" (Foster, Richard J. "Celebration
      of Discipline. The Path to Spiritual Growth," pp. 96,
      108). Solitude can be maintained in crowds or while
      alone. It is an inner attentiveness. Foster calls
      this our "portable sanctuary of the heart."

      Many spiritual leaders have lived outward manifestations
      of this inward solitude. Jesus Christ is one example.
      He spent days fasting and praying in the wilderness.
      Sometimes he went to mountains and other lonely places
      for meditation and prayer. He returned to people with
      a renewed sense of mission and purpose.

      Thomas Merton has said, "It is in deep solitude and
      silence that I find the gentleness with which I can
      truly love my brother and sister." It was also his
      life experience that while in solitude he discovered
      his need and desire to contribute something to a
      community.

      Solitude without welcoming and affirming community
      leads to a lack of wholeness in our lives.

      God, help us find the inner fulfillment of solitude.
      Bring us into a beloved community where we can love
      our brothers and sisters. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com