Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 17, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 17, 2008

      Peaceful moments

      "When it was evening on that day, the first day
      of the week, and the doors of the house where the
      disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews,
      Jesus came and stood among them and said, 'Peace
      be with you.'"
      John 20:19

      Listen to your body. Breathe. Sit. Feel.
      Listen. Relax. If you do this every day, you
      will experience amazing inner wellness and self-
      improvement. Consider a small smile while
      breathing.

      Thich Nhat Hanh is a remarkable Vietnamese Buddhist
      monk who was recommended for the Nobel Peace Prize
      years ago by the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
      Thich Nhat Hanh modeled great spiritual leadership
      for us through his refusal to take sides during the
      Vietnam War. His inaction lead to his own exile,
      but he worked diligently to bring peace by teaching
      people how to "be peace" (Hanh, Thich Nhat. "The
      Long Road Turns to Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditation,"
      p. 9.) to all they encountered. He suggests we look
      at our neighbors and smile gently at one another.
      Smile your peace at friends and strangers while
      breathing gently in a relaxed manner. You will be
      tremendously empowered.

      Be careful how you use this breathing meditation.
      It will change your life and the lives of others.
      Try it for thirty seconds to two minutes daily.
      These moments can be costly, however, as they were
      for Thich Nhat Hanh. Peaceful moments are within
      us, but others may not be receptive to our non-violent
      smiling. Know that the benefits of peaceful moments
      are worth the cost.

      Be spiritually empowered. Smile peacefully at all
      you meet today, including your enemies.

      God, teach us to smile peacefully today. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com