Chi Rho Connection, Vol. IX, No. 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2008

      Vol. IX, No. 3

      1. Stained Glass Sale
      2. Three Devotionals for the New Year
      3. May We Suggest Two Lenten Studies?
      4. "Christian with a Twist"

      1. Stained Glass Sale

      Prices are going up everywhere. And our Stained
      Glass Bear has found that the prices of glass,
      copper foil, solder, and everything else are going
      up too. Reluctantly we are going to have to increase
      the prices of our five standard stained glass pieces.

      BUT, the new, higher prices are being held off until
      March 1! That means you can still purchase the Chi
      Rho Press stained glass at the same prices they have
      been at since they were first introduced over eight
      years ago.

      We have pictures of all of our stained glass products
      on our Web page. These pieces are all hand crafted
      in the copper foil and solder method. They have an
      attached loop so you may hang it in a window to catch
      the light.

      Check out the descriptions of our five stained glass
      below and on our Web page at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html.

      Stained Glass Crosses are simple, yet striking
      additions to any window. Made from five pieces
      of glass and measuring seven inches high and four
      inches wide, these crosses are hand crafted in the
      copper foil and solder method. The cross has an
      attached loop so you may hang it in any window to
      catch the light and remind all of the power of our
      faith. The arms of the cross are clear, frosted
      glass and the center square is red. $12.00 each
      until March 1, 2008 when the price goes up.

      Stained Glass Lesbian/Gay Rainbow Flags are a solid
      rectangle of bright red, orange, yellow, green, blue,
      and purple glass, four inches by six inches, with
      two loops for hanging. The rainbow flag has become
      an international symbol of Gay/Lesbian Pride. Show
      your pride! $18.00 each until March 1, 2008 when
      the price goes up.

      AIDS Ribbons In Stained Glass are made from three
      pieces of red, textured glass and measure three
      inches high. There is a loop for hanging this
      fitting reminder of our concern for all those
      affected by the HIV/AIDS crisis. $7.50 each
      until March 1, 2008 when the price goes up.

      Stained Glass Rainbow Cross is made of seven
      different pieces of glass (the arms have
      rectangles of red, orange, yellow, green, blue,
      and purple with a frosted clear center). They
      are handcrafted in the copper foil and solder
      method. They have an attached hoop so you may
      hang it in a window or from a Christmas tree as
      a holiday decoration. $18.00 each until March 1,
      2008 when the price goes up.

      Stained Glass Rainbow Star of David is made of
      seven different pieces of glass (the points are
      red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple with
      a frosted clear center). They are handcrafted in
      the copper foil and solder method. They have an
      attached hoop so you may hang it in a window.
      $18.00 each until March 1, 2008 when the price
      goes up.

      2. Three Devotionals for the New Year

      It is difficult to believe that 2008 has already
      started. It seems just a short time ago that my
      friend Kevin and I watched 2000 come in with some
      anticipation and joy. With the new year already
      a week old, we thought it would be good to remind
      our faithful readers of three books of daily
      devotions that Chi Rho Press has to offer, "The
      Road to Emmaus," "Christian with a Twist," and
      "Living as the Beloved." Please order at least
      one of these excellent books, of all three, for
      your daily devotions. They also make excellent
      gifts throughout the year.

      We still have copies of the excellent daily devotional,
      "The Road to Emmaus." This was the first book of daily
      devotions published by and for the LGBT faith community.

      "The Road to Emmaus: Daily Encounters with the Risen
      Christ," is an inclusive devotional edited by Joseph W.
      Houle.

      "The Road to Emmaus" is a valuable resource for those
      who wish to balance the frenetic pace of modern life
      with moments of recollection and spiritual refreshment.
      There is a Gospel reading for each day of the year and
      a meditation based upon it. Each meditation is a gentle
      invitation to become attentive to the presence of the
      Sacred in the ordinary circumstances of our lives and to
      open our hearts to the risen Christ in quiet reflection.

      As an inclusive devotional, "The Road to Emmaus" affirms
      the goodness of all God's children, the young and the old;
      the male and the female; the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
      transgendered person; heterosexuals; the single, coupled,
      and celibate; and people of all races, physical ability,
      and education. Its underlying message is that the Gospel
      is good news for all people.

      If you seek a deeper walk with the risen Christ, the daily
      meditations of "The Road to Emmaus" will speed you on your
      way.

      James B. Nelson writes, "Reading the devotions in The Road
      to Emmaus made scriptural passages come alive for me, often
      in new ways. Further, the writings prodded me to examine my
      spirituality more honestly. And, most importantly, they
      freshened my hope."

      Contributors to "The Road to Emmaus" include the Rev. Kathy
      Baker, the late Rev. Harold J. Burris, Adam DeBaugh, Sarah
      Fershee, Sr. Jeannine Gramick, the Rev. Louis Kavar, the
      late Joseph Houle, Virginia Miles, Fr. Robert Nugent, Jack
      Pantaleo, the Rev. Dusty Pruitt, the Rev. Andy Sidden, and
      the late Rev. Larry Uhrig.

      "The Road to Emmaus" is available at $9.95 each plus
      shipping and handling. Six or more copies are $7.50 each.
      Order on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevRoadToEmmaus.html

      *****

      "Christian with a Twist: Reflections on Scripture
      that are a bit more inclusive, a bit more relevant,
      and with a bit of a bite," by William Gaston.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      $19.95 each, $14.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.

      We are confident that you will agree that this book of
      reflections is a work of mighty faith, great skill,
      and surprising good sense. It is also a very
      enjoyable read. So please break open the wonders
      and delights of this "Christian with a Twist." Read
      them all in one sitting, one a day, even one a week.
      We guarantee that you will be blessed.

      For a sampling of Bill's writing, please see article # 4 below.

      $19.95 each, $14.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.
      View and order this book on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      *****

      A powerful book of daily devotions, "Living as the
      Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra L.
      Bochonok. $20.95 each, six or more copies for $15.75
      each, plus shipping and handling. You can see and order
      the book on our Web site at

      Dr. Bochonok is the founder of the very popular Soul
      Food Ministry Web site (www.soulfoodministry.org), a
      special work of Metropolitan Community Church of
      Washington, DC.

      "Living As The Beloved" has a Scripture reading,
      meditation, and prayer for every day of the year.
      Dr. Bochonok's meditations are poignant, wise, and
      amazingly pastoral. Her many years of ministry as
      a military chaplain and pastor, and now as an Internet
      pastor shine through her every word. Her meditations
      are simple, basic Christian teaching, yet glow with
      power, grace, and beauty. These are devotions that
      will light your days for many years to come.

      Dr. Rembert Truluck, author of "Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse" writes:
      (http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html)

      "I welcome the opportunity to commend to you this new
      book of daily meditations by my friend Sandra Bochonok.
      The meditations are centered in a realistic practical
      understanding of love and recovery 'one day at a
      time.' Filled with personal experiences, helpful
      information and quotes from other sources, the book
      is easy to read. Dr. Bochonok draws upon her own
      personal spiritual pilgrimage and her loving listening
      relationships with many people in her own family and
      in her life as a minister and teacher at MCC DC. Thank
      you, Sandra, for passing on to us what you have
      discovered that has been helpful to you."

      Order your copy of "Living as the Beloved: One Day
      at a Time" today. Only $20.95, plus shipping and
      handling, six or more copies are $15.75 each plus
      shipping and handing.

      3. May We Suggest Two Lenten Studies?

      Lent began on Wednesday, February 6, and Chi Rho
      Press is very proud of our two books of Lenten
      devotions. Here is a description of each one.

      "'You Need Only To Be Still:' Using the Hebrew Scriptures
      to Journey Through Lent," by Randy Jedele. Spiral bound,
      5½" x 8½", 100 pages. A book of daily devotions for Lent,
      in which author Randy Jedele takes us on a journey through
      the Old Testament. A lay Christian Education minister in
      the United Church of Christ in Iowa, Randy Jedele has drawn
      on his strong Protestant and Congregationalist background
      to enliven the Hebrew Testament for us in new ways in these
      Lenten devotions. View it on our Web site at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevYouNeedOnlyToBeStill.htm

      In "You Need Only to be Still," each of the 40 days of
      Lent, starting with Ash Wednesday, features a Hebrew
      Testament passage, followed by two questions for your
      consideration to bring the passage into our own lives.
      Then Randy provides his own "Thoughts for Meditating,"
      a few paragraphs reflecting on the ancient Bible story
      in which he offers some background information where it
      is needed and his own thoughts on the two questions.
      On the right hand page for each day in Lent there is
      space for the reader to write his or her own "Personal
      Reflections," an opportunity for the reader to respond
      and record thoughts and feelings. Each day concludes
      with a prayer, a personal moment between the reader
      and God. For each Friday, Randy has chosen a passage
      from the Psalms.

      The six Sundays of Lent in "You Need Only to be Still"
      have a very different format with two blank pages for
      each Sunday, one for "Reflections from the Past Week"
      and one for "Opportunities to Seek in the New Week."
      Randy writes, "I have chosen the Sunday format for a
      couple of reasons. First of all, I have chosen not
      to have a Scripture passage for Sundays because I did
      not want to interfere with the scripture passages used
      in the regular lectionary for the day. Secondly, it is my
      practice to do just as I have suggested on Sundays. I
      spend my devotional time on Sundays to reflect on the
      events of my past week and contemplate on opportunities
      that may lie before me in the new week. I think it is
      important for us to remind ourselves of the lessons we
      have learned, the joys we have known, and the pains that
      have pierced our hearts. It is also good for us to make
      plans for the days that come before us. Reflecting is truly
      a time of quiet meditation and being still before God."

      The title, "You Need Only to be Still," comes from
      Exodus 14:13-14, "Moses answered the people, 'Do not
      be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance
      the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see
      today you will never see again. The Lord will fight
      for you; you need only to be still.'" Randy Jedele
      writes, in the Introduction, "Too often we Christians
      ignore the Hebrew Scriptures and build our relationships
      with God on the New Testament. However, as I have
      journeyed through the Hebrew Scriptures through the
      years, I have always marked passages that spoke to me.
      It has not surprised me to discover a wealth of
      spiritual wisdom throughout the Hebrew Scriptures.
      It is my hope and prayer that those who use this
      devotional as they journey through Lent will also
      discover the richness of the God of the Hebrew
      Scriptures. Truly, there is much to be learned as
      we discover the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
      the God of Hannah, Ruth, and Esther, a God who was
      a powerful source in the lives of those who learned
      to seek the presence of the living God and to live
      in the stillness of God's grace."

      "Over and over, God calls us to be still, so that God
      can minister to our hearts and prepare us to journey
      each day as a new day. . . . I have envisioned that
      [this devotional] will mostly be a personally journey,
      a quiet time each day when the readers will, on their
      own, seek the stillness of God. . . . As you read,
      meditate, and pray through this devotional, may God
      bless and enrich your life. It is my prayer that
      each of you will find God in the stillness of your
      busy lives and that God will provide you with wisdom,
      fill you with peace, and shower you with love."

      We know you will be blessed by this book of devotions
      for Lent. You may order it on our Web site at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevYouNeedOnlyToBeStill.htm
      $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      *****

      Our other book of Lenten Meditations was "For
      Another Flock," written from a Gay Roman
      Catholic point of view. "For Another Flock: Rainbow
      Meditations and Study Guide for Lent," by Jeffrey Lea.
      ($10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.) View it on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevForAnotherFlock.htm

      Written out of the deep faith and learning of a
      gay practicing Roman Catholic and from a Catholic
      perspective, "For Another Flock" includes daily
      meditations for all the days of Lent and Holy Week,
      beginning with Ash Wednesday (which this year is Feb.
      9), and ending with Easter Sunday. Scripture readings
      are provided for every day in Lent and Holy Week followed
      by a reflection from a uniquely gay and Catholic point of
      view and a prayer.

      Following the daily meditations is a seven-week Lenten
      Bible Study Guide. Jeff Lea's introduction explores Lent
      as a penitential season, discussing penance and repentance.
      Each weekly Bible Study starts with a Gospel reading.
      There is a Lenten theme for each of the seven sessions.
      Week One is "An Ash Wednesday Ritual and Discussion of
      the Nature of Penance." Week Two is "The Nature of
      Temptation." Week Three is "The Meaning of Sin in our
      Lives." Week Four is "Faithfulness and Homosexuality."
      Week Five is "The Joy of Being Gay." Week Six is "The
      Meaning of Judgement." And the concluding session is
      "The Last Supper and the Mandatum" (New Commandment).

      Seven Appendices conclude the book: Solemnities and
      Feasts in Lent, Lectionary Cycle Calendar, The Books
      of the Old Testament of the Various Biblical Traditions,
      Small Group Study Guidelines, an Ash Wednesday Liturgy,
      a Maundy Thursday Liturgy, and a Bibliography.

      Jeff Lea writes, "Far too many gay women and men continue
      to view the primary Christian scripture, the Holy Bible,
      as a document hostile to people whose expression of
      intimate love is homosexual. Nothing can be further
      from the truth. While the Bible does condemn the
      ritualistic abuse of human sexuality it does not ever
      express a view of same-sex love as an abomination. In
      fact it affirms it in the love story of Jonathan and
      David.

      "The Bible's primary message is Love. To love God,
      ourselves, and each other as God has loved us. The
      Bible is not a handbook on how to hate sin. It is a
      transcript of the ongoing love story between God and
      the people of God.

      "Lent is the primary renewing and penitential season
      of the Church year. It is the time of personal
      examination and purification before we enter into the
      Paschal mystery on Easter Sunday. We are at the door
      to salvation during this time. Gay people are also at
      that door and we too have an experience of conversion
      and faith. These meditations present the point of view
      of a gay male Christian exploring the liminal experience
      of coming out gay, coming out Christian, and discovering
      affirmation in the Bible. The book provides both a
      daily meditation on the scriptural readings for Lent,
      and a seven-week group study that explores penance from
      a positive gay perspective."

      "For Another Flock: Rainbow Meditations and Study Guide
      for Lent" is spiral bound, 5 ½" x 8 ½", 104 pages, and
      sells for $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevForAnotherFlock.htm

      4. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our book of reflections,
      "Christian with a Twist: Reflections on Scripture
      that are a bit more inclusive, a bit more relevant,
      and with a bit of a bite," by the late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Checking or Savings?"
      from the Lent section of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read Matthew 6:1, 3, 5, 19-21

      Is Jesus trying to take all the fun out of doing good?
      To my mind Jesus is not so much forbidding our pleasures
      as he is just telling us like it is. He is saying you
      can do things one way and get immediate pleasure, and
      that is not necessarily bad. Or you can do it another
      way without instant gratification and prepare yourself
      for a better tomorrow.

      We worship in a beautiful church building that costs a
      pretty penny to operate. If we can afford to give our
      share to cover the expenses there is nothing wrong with
      feeling good about it. Giving more so that those who
      cannot give very much can none-the-less feel welcome
      is also good. Many of us give by check, keep an
      accounting, and take a tax deduction in April. Jesus
      would not condemn that.

      But Saint Peter will not be looking over our tax returns
      when he assigns us our cloud in heaven. What will be
      felt for eternity is the private joy we had in giving,
      maybe to our church, maybe to another church, maybe to
      a need that nobody else noticed.

      We do a lot of praying out loud here in church. Each
      Sunday several step up to the microphone to do that
      and several more open their arms in front of the church
      to those in need after the sermon. God notices and God
      is pleased, but it is the ways that these spoken prayers
      touch hearts and inspire private prayer that lives in
      heaven.

      There is also nothing wrong with enjoying the creature
      comforts of life. I expect Jesus would not mind staying
      in my apartment and riding in my Subaru if he were to
      visit Washington in the flesh. It is very likely if
      he came to do a revival weekend at MCC, someone would
      offer him a private room and bath in their larger home
      so he would not have to deal with my sofa bed.

      It is good to live well and give well. But we must
      not do either as if our lives depend on the details or
      amounts. Spend generously for yourself and others.
      Just be sure that the deductions in your checkbook
      bring memories and not regrets. And do not put too
      much stake in the deposits. You do not want God to
      have to pry your bank statements out of your hands
      when it is time to go. Actually God will not, but
      somebody else might. Be sure they do not break your
      heart in the process.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      I hope you will take advantage of the special on
      stained glass before the prices have to go up on
      March 1.

      *****

      The new Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is out!
      Chi Rho Press' annual Liturgical Calendar and
      Lectionary for 2007-2008, Year A is now on the
      Chi Rho Press Web site and ready to ship. You
      may view and order it at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      *****

      I really encourage you all to become Guardian Angels
      of Chi Rho Press. This will help us a lot as we
      prepare our next books for publication. Just $150
      for a year will make you an important participant in
      this ministry.

      Thank you!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,