Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 3, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 3, 2008

      The best prayers

      "Why, O Lord, do you stand far off?
      Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?"
      Psalm 10:1

      "The best prayers have often more groans than
      ~ John Bunyan (Bunyan, John. From his 1662
      sermon, "I Will Pray With The Spirit … A Discourse
      Touching Prayer.")

      The question most frequently asked me as a minister
      and chaplain is this, "Would you teach me how to
      pray?" This seems to be a universal heart cry
      from people of all sexual orientations. I have
      heard this again and again, while on U.S. Navy
      ships, in inner-city hospices and hospital
      emergency rooms, as well as in prisons. Perhaps
      this is why we are seeing such a proliferation
      of Internet prayer chapels and prayer ministries.
      People have universally struggled for words to
      connect with the divine, wondering if God hears
      or cares. Often we do not know how to pray for
      ourselves, those we love, our enemies, and the
      world we live in.

      Please be encouraged and reclaim your prayer
      birthright. Our common spiritual heritage is
      prayer. Through the cries of our hearts and
      the groaning of our innermost being, we can
      experience God's loving heartbeat. Prayer,
      as I understand it, is simply conversation with
      God through a tender and intimate relationship.
      Sometimes our feelings are just too deep for
      words. Prayer is as simple as breathing our
      feelings to God!

      Other times written prayers can be spiritually
      empowering. They have stood the test of time
      for good reason. The Gospel stories are a
      good place to begin learning about prayer,
      especially if we have experienced toxic and
      abusive religion and Bible concussions. Jesus
      spoke against such spiritual injustice and
      brought a new and revolutionary understanding
      of what God's reign on earth can look like.
      We find this summed up in the revolutionary
      Lord's Prayer located in two Gospels (Matthew
      6:9-13 and Luke 11:1-4).

      The most important heart cry to God might be,
      "teach me to pray!" Consider reclaiming the
      Lord's Prayer from meaningless repetition to
      meaningful repetition. The Lord's Prayer can
      change the world, cause spiritual and physical
      revolutions, transform lives, bring hope, and
      usher in the Reign of God. Its boldness can
      also change us. There is a reason why John
      Wesley cried out, "O give me that book! At
      any price, give me the book of God!" (Quoted in
      Job, Rueben P. and Norman Shawchuck. "A Guide
      to Prayer for Ministers and Other Servants,"
      p. 34.)

      God, teach us to pray. Amen

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com