Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 27, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 27, 2008

      Encouragement

      "The LORD opens the eyes of the blind.
      The LORD lifts up those who are bowed down;
      the LORD loves the righteous."
      Psalm 146:8

      Several years ago I enjoyed a brisk, invigorating
      morning run with a dear friend and her puppy. The
      sunrise was glorious. A dusting of snow lay on the
      ground. It was her birthday. "Yes," she said,
      "somehow I'm just not real excited about this year
      or my birthday. It's been difficult. I've been
      surviving. This year can only be an improvement."
      Surviving is a good thing. Her world turned upside
      down when someone outed her as a lesbian. The past
      year had been horrific with loss of income,
      retirement benefits, and economic security.

      Others I know struggle to simply survive with
      illnesses such as AIDS and breast cancer. For
      many it has been a time of multiple losses.
      Another friend wrote a letter, saying, "If you
      want a happy New Year, stop reading here." My
      friend went on to describe the year's losses of
      home, job, a beloved partner's deteriorating health
      due to AIDS, and the death of a parent. He ended
      his letter saying, "I know God is in this somehow.
      I am simply trying to survive."

      My beloved grandmother outlived all her children.
      She also attended the funerals of many of her family
      members and friends. Her husband suffered over a
      dozen strokes and she nursed him devotedly around
      the clock for years. Every day she would say, "One
      day at a time, dear Lord, one day at a time." Every
      night she would sit on Grandpa's bed and hold his
      hand. The strokes had taken his speech away, so
      Grandma prayed aloud for both of them. She would
      pray for those gone and those remaining. She prayed
      for her friends and family, thanked the good Lord
      for getting her through one more day, prayed for
      the church and missionaries around the world, gave
      thanks for the day's food, shelter, health, and
      medicine. She was a great woman of faith and courage.
      She knew how to bow down before God with her burdens.
      And God always lifted her up.

      So whatever your circumstances, please be encouraged.
      God sees. God cares. God will help you one day at
      a time. God will help you one moment at a time when
      the day feels overwhelming.

      One day at a time, dear Lord, one day at a time.
      Bless us with faith, hope, joy, courage, endurance,
      and love. Help us keep looking up. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com