Chi Rho Connection, Vol. IX, No. 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2008

      Vol. IX, No. 2

      1. New 2008 Liturgical Calendar
      2. Three Devotionals for the New Year
      3. May We Suggest Two Lenten Studies?
      4. Stained Glass Sale
      5. Link of the Month
      6. "Christian with a Twist"

      This issue's Quote:
      "If the only prayer you say in your life is
      'thank you,' that would suffice."
      Meister Eckhart

      1. New 2008 Liturgical Calendar!

      The new Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is out!
      The new Church Year started with the first Sunday
      in Advent, December 2, 2007. Chi Rho Press' annual
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary for 2007-2008,
      Year A is now on the Chi Rho Press Web site and
      ready to ship. You may view and order it at this
      link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      The 2007-2008 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      is spiral bound so it can lie flat for easy use,
      in the popular 8 ½" x 11" format and sells for
      $11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.

      The Lectionary in the Liturgical Calendar is from the
      Revised Common Lectionary. Our Liturgical Calendar
      is packed with useful information for planning worship
      and preaching in the local church. It is intended for use
      by pastors, musicians, altar guilds, teachers, theological
      students, and anyone using the Church Year as a basis for
      worship or education.

      Featured in the Liturgical Calendar are these
      sections: A Heading that identifies the day in the
      church year (for example, the first Sunday of Advent)
      with alternative descriptions where appropriate.
      The Revised Common Lectionary readings are next,
      including a brief summary of each reading. (These
      are only a very brief overview not a thorough exegesis.)

      The First Reading is usually from the Hebrew Testament,
      but there are exceptions, such as the use of readings
      from Acts during the Easter season. This is followed by
      a Response, usually a Psalm. The Epistle Reading is next,
      also typically a series of key passages from the same book
      being read over a number of weeks. Finally the Gospel
      Reading follows the story of Jesus through the Christmas
      and Easter cycles, plus the teachings of Jesus the rest of
      the year.

      Next is a section called "Worship Planning," which
      includes suggestions for liturgical colors, decorations or
      symbols for special seasons. Rev. Witt has added lots of
      Notes in the Worship Planning section, which serve to
      explain in more detail information about the time of the
      church year, provide resources for further study and
      information, and develop liturgical themes to make
      your worship experience more rich and meaningful.

      Then comes a section called "Special Events," which
      includes any special events occurring that day or that
      week that you may wish to commemorate, such as World
      AIDS Day, and some special occasions for celebrations
      of diversity, such as celebration days for specific
      cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and special days for
      the GLBT community (e.g., a day of remembrance for
      Matthew Shepard).

      A special section, includes alternative readings for the
      five Sundays of Pride-Tide (June) prepared by the Rev.
      Gordon McCoy. The five sets of readings for Pride-Tide
      may be used at any time in the year that the faith
      community celebrates LGBT Pride. The standard
      Revised Common Lectionary readings are included
      for the five Sundays in June as well.

      The 2007-2008 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful
      aid for anyone involved in planning worship, as well
      as a useful resource for all who want to know more
      about the Church year and the rich liturgical life
      of the Church Universal. We think you will like
      this Liturgical Calendar.

      The 2008 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells for
      $11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling. Order the 2008 Calendar today
      at this new link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      2. Three Devotionals for the New Year

      It is difficult to believe that 2008 has already
      started. It seems just a short time ago that my
      friend Kevin and I watched 2000 come in with some
      anticipation and joy. With the new year already
      a week old, we thought it would be good to remind
      our faithful readers of three books of daily
      devotions that Chi Rho Press has to offer, "The
      Road to Emmaus," "Christian with a Twist," and
      "Living as the Beloved." Please order at least
      one of these excellent books, of all three, for
      your daily devotions. They also make excellent
      gifts throughout the year.

      We still have copies of the excellent daily devotional,
      "The Road to Emmaus." This was the first book of daily
      devotions published by and for the LGBT faith community.

      "The Road to Emmaus: Daily Encounters with the Risen
      Christ," is an inclusive devotional edited by Joseph W.
      Houle.

      "The Road to Emmaus" is a valuable resource for those
      who wish to balance the frenetic pace of modern life
      with moments of recollection and spiritual refreshment.
      There is a Gospel reading for each day of the year and
      a meditation based upon it. Each meditation is a gentle
      invitation to become attentive to the presence of the
      Sacred in the ordinary circumstances of our lives and to
      open our hearts to the risen Christ in quiet reflection.

      As an inclusive devotional, "The Road to Emmaus" affirms
      the goodness of all God's children, the young and the old;
      the male and the female; the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and
      transgendered person; heterosexuals; the single, coupled,
      and celibate; and people of all races, physical ability,
      and education. Its underlying message is that the Gospel
      is good news for all people.

      If you seek a deeper walk with the risen Christ, the daily
      meditations of "The Road to Emmaus" will speed you on your
      way.

      James B. Nelson writes, "Reading the devotions in The Road
      to Emmaus made scriptural passages come alive for me, often
      in new ways. Further, the writings prodded me to examine my
      spirituality more honestly. And, most importantly, they
      freshened my hope."

      Contributors to "The Road to Emmaus" include the Rev. Kathy
      Baker, the late Rev. Harold J. Burris, Adam DeBaugh, Sarah
      Fershee, Sr. Jeannine Gramick, the Rev. Louis Kavar, the
      late Joseph Houle, Virginia Miles, Fr. Robert Nugent, Jack
      Pantaleo, the Rev. Dusty Pruitt, the Rev. Andy Sidden, and
      the late Rev. Larry Uhrig.

      "The Road to Emmaus" is available at $9.95 each plus
      shipping and handling. Six or more copies are $7.50 each.
      Order on our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevRoadToEmmaus.html

      *****

      "Christian with a Twist: Reflections on Scripture
      that are a bit more inclusive, a bit more relevant,
      and with a bit of a bite," by William Gaston.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      $19.95 each, $14.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.

      We are confident that you will agree that this book of
      reflections is a work of mighty faith, great skill,
      and surprising good sense. It is also a very
      enjoyable read. So please break open the wonders
      and delights of this "Christian with a Twist." Read
      them all in one sitting, one a day, even one a week.
      We guarantee that you will be blessed.

      For a sampling of Bill's writing, please see article # 5 below.

      $19.95 each, $14.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.
      View and order this book on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      *****

      A powerful book of daily devotions, "Living as the
      Beloved: One Day at a Time," by the Rev. Dr. Sandra L.
      Bochonok. $20.95 each, six or more copies for $15.75
      each, plus shipping and handling. You can see and order
      the book on our Web site at

      Dr. Bochonok is the founder of the very popular Soul
      Food Ministry Web site (www.soulfoodministry.org), a
      special work of Metropolitan Community Church of
      Washington, DC.

      "Living As The Beloved" has a Scripture reading,
      meditation, and prayer for every day of the year.
      Dr. Bochonok's meditations are poignant, wise, and
      amazingly pastoral. Her many years of ministry as
      a military chaplain and pastor, and now as an Internet
      pastor shine through her every word. Her meditations
      are simple, basic Christian teaching, yet glow with
      power, grace, and beauty. These are devotions that
      will light your days for many years to come.

      Dr. Rembert Truluck, author of "Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse" writes:
      (http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html)

      "I welcome the opportunity to commend to you this new
      book of daily meditations by my friend Sandra Bochonok.
      The meditations are centered in a realistic practical
      understanding of love and recovery 'one day at a
      time.' Filled with personal experiences, helpful
      information and quotes from other sources, the book
      is easy to read. Dr. Bochonok draws upon her own
      personal spiritual pilgrimage and her loving listening
      relationships with many people in her own family and
      in her life as a minister and teacher at MCC DC. Thank
      you, Sandra, for passing on to us what you have
      discovered that has been helpful to you."

      Order your copy of "Living as the Beloved: One Day
      at a Time" today. Only $20.95, plus shipping and
      handling, six or more copies are $15.75 each plus
      shipping and handing.

      3. May We Suggest Two Lenten Studies?

      Lent begins in just a few weeks on Wednesday,
      February 6, and Chi Rho Press is very proud of
      our two books of Lenten devotions. Here is a
      description of each one.

      "'You Need Only To Be Still:' Using the Hebrew Scriptures
      to Journey Through Lent," by Randy Jedele. Spiral bound,
      5½" x 8½", 100 pages. A book of daily devotions for Lent,
      in which author Randy Jedele takes us on a journey through
      the Old Testament. A lay Christian Education minister in
      the United Church of Christ in Iowa, Randy Jedele has drawn
      on his strong Protestant and Congregationalist background
      to enliven the Hebrew Testament for us in new ways in these
      Lenten devotions. View it on our Web site at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevYouNeedOnlyToBeStill.htm

      In "You Need Only to be Still," each of the 40 days of
      Lent, starting with Ash Wednesday, features a Hebrew
      Testament passage, followed by two questions for your
      consideration to bring the passage into our own lives.
      Then Randy provides his own "Thoughts for Meditating,"
      a few paragraphs reflecting on the ancient Bible story
      in which he offers some background information where it
      is needed and his own thoughts on the two questions.
      On the right hand page for each day in Lent there is
      space for the reader to write his or her own "Personal
      Reflections," an opportunity for the reader to respond
      and record thoughts and feelings. Each day concludes
      with a prayer, a personal moment between the reader
      and God. For each Friday, Randy has chosen a passage
      from the Psalms.

      The six Sundays of Lent in "You Need Only to be Still"
      have a very different format with two blank pages for
      each Sunday, one for "Reflections from the Past Week"
      and one for "Opportunities to Seek in the New Week."
      Randy writes, "I have chosen the Sunday format for a
      couple of reasons. First of all, I have chosen not
      to have a Scripture passage for Sundays because I did
      not want to interfere with the scripture passages used
      in the regular lectionary for the day. Secondly, it is my
      practice to do just as I have suggested on Sundays. I
      spend my devotional time on Sundays to reflect on the
      events of my past week and contemplate on opportunities
      that may lie before me in the new week. I think it is
      important for us to remind ourselves of the lessons we
      have learned, the joys we have known, and the pains that
      have pierced our hearts. It is also good for us to make
      plans for the days that come before us. Reflecting is truly
      a time of quiet meditation and being still before God."

      The title, "You Need Only to be Still," comes from
      Exodus 14:13-14, "Moses answered the people, 'Do not
      be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance
      the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see
      today you will never see again. The Lord will fight
      for you; you need only to be still.'" Randy Jedele
      writes, in the Introduction, "Too often we Christians
      ignore the Hebrew Scriptures and build our relationships
      with God on the New Testament. However, as I have
      journeyed through the Hebrew Scriptures through the
      years, I have always marked passages that spoke to me.
      It has not surprised me to discover a wealth of
      spiritual wisdom throughout the Hebrew Scriptures.
      It is my hope and prayer that those who use this
      devotional as they journey through Lent will also
      discover the richness of the God of the Hebrew
      Scriptures. Truly, there is much to be learned as
      we discover the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
      the God of Hannah, Ruth, and Esther, a God who was
      a powerful source in the lives of those who learned
      to seek the presence of the living God and to live
      in the stillness of God's grace."

      "Over and over, God calls us to be still, so that God
      can minister to our hearts and prepare us to journey
      each day as a new day. . . . I have envisioned that
      [this devotional] will mostly be a personally journey,
      a quiet time each day when the readers will, on their
      own, seek the stillness of God. . . . As you read,
      meditate, and pray through this devotional, may God
      bless and enrich your life. It is my prayer that
      each of you will find God in the stillness of your
      busy lives and that God will provide you with wisdom,
      fill you with peace, and shower you with love."

      We know you will be blessed by this book of devotions
      for Lent. You may order it on our Web site at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevYouNeedOnlyToBeStill.htm
      $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      *****

      Our other book of Lenten Meditations was "For
      Another Flock," written from a Gay Roman
      Catholic point of view. "For Another Flock: Rainbow
      Meditations and Study Guide for Lent," by Jeffrey Lea.
      ($10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.) View it on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevForAnotherFlock.htm

      Written out of the deep faith and learning of a
      gay practicing Roman Catholic and from a Catholic
      perspective, "For Another Flock" includes daily
      meditations for all the days of Lent and Holy Week,
      beginning with Ash Wednesday (which this year is Feb.
      9), and ending with Easter Sunday. Scripture readings
      are provided for every day in Lent and Holy Week followed
      by a reflection from a uniquely gay and Catholic point of
      view and a prayer.

      Following the daily meditations is a seven-week Lenten
      Bible Study Guide. Jeff Lea's introduction explores Lent
      as a penitential season, discussing penance and repentance.
      Each weekly Bible Study starts with a Gospel reading.
      There is a Lenten theme for each of the seven sessions.
      Week One is "An Ash Wednesday Ritual and Discussion of
      the Nature of Penance." Week Two is "The Nature of
      Temptation." Week Three is "The Meaning of Sin in our
      Lives." Week Four is "Faithfulness and Homosexuality."
      Week Five is "The Joy of Being Gay." Week Six is "The
      Meaning of Judgement." And the concluding session is
      "The Last Supper and the Mandatum" (New Commandment).

      Seven Appendices conclude the book: Solemnities and
      Feasts in Lent, Lectionary Cycle Calendar, The Books
      of the Old Testament of the Various Biblical Traditions,
      Small Group Study Guidelines, an Ash Wednesday Liturgy,
      a Maundy Thursday Liturgy, and a Bibliography.

      Jeff Lea writes, "Far too many gay women and men continue
      to view the primary Christian scripture, the Holy Bible,
      as a document hostile to people whose expression of
      intimate love is homosexual. Nothing can be further
      from the truth. While the Bible does condemn the
      ritualistic abuse of human sexuality it does not ever
      express a view of same-sex love as an abomination. In
      fact it affirms it in the love story of Jonathan and
      David.

      "The Bible's primary message is Love. To love God,
      ourselves, and each other as God has loved us. The
      Bible is not a handbook on how to hate sin. It is a
      transcript of the ongoing love story between God and
      the people of God.

      "Lent is the primary renewing and penitential season
      of the Church year. It is the time of personal
      examination and purification before we enter into the
      Paschal mystery on Easter Sunday. We are at the door
      to salvation during this time. Gay people are also at
      that door and we too have an experience of conversion
      and faith. These meditations present the point of view
      of a gay male Christian exploring the liminal experience
      of coming out gay, coming out Christian, and discovering
      affirmation in the Bible. The book provides both a
      daily meditation on the scriptural readings for Lent,
      and a seven-week group study that explores penance from
      a positive gay perspective."

      "For Another Flock: Rainbow Meditations and Study Guide
      for Lent" is spiral bound, 5 ½" x 8 ½", 104 pages, and
      sells for $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevForAnotherFlock.htm

      4. Stained Glass Sale

      Prices are going up everywhere. And our Stained
      Glass Bear has found that the prices of glass,
      copper foil, solder, and everything else are going
      up too. Reluctantly we are going to have to increase
      the prices of our five standard stained glass pieces.

      BUT, the new, higher prices are being held off until
      March 1! That means you can still purchase the Chi
      Rho Press stained glass at the same prices they have
      been at since they were first introduced over eight
      years ago.

      We have pictures of all of our stained glass products
      on our Web page. These pieces are all hand crafted
      in the copper foil and solder method. They have an
      attached loop so you may hang it in a window to catch
      the light.

      Check out the descriptions of our five stained glass
      below and on our Web page at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html.

      Stained Glass Crosses are simple, yet striking
      additions to any window. Made from five pieces
      of glass and measuring seven inches high and four
      inches wide, these crosses are hand crafted in the
      copper foil and solder method. The cross has an
      attached loop so you may hang it in any window to
      catch the light and remind all of the power of our
      faith. The arms of the cross are clear, frosted
      glass and the center square is red. $12.00 each
      until March 1, 2008 when the price goes up.

      Stained Glass Lesbian/Gay Rainbow Flags are a solid
      rectangle of bright red, orange, yellow, green, blue,
      and purple glass, four inches by six inches, with
      two loops for hanging. The rainbow flag has become
      an international symbol of Gay/Lesbian Pride. Show
      your pride! $18.00 each until March 1, 2008 when
      the price goes up.

      AIDS Ribbons In Stained Glass are made from three
      pieces of red, textured glass and measure three
      inches high. There is a loop for hanging this
      fitting reminder of our concern for all those
      affected by the HIV/AIDS crisis. $7.50 each
      until March 1, 2008 when the price goes up.

      Stained Glass Rainbow Cross is made of seven
      different pieces of glass (the arms have
      rectangles of red, orange, yellow, green, blue,
      and purple with a frosted clear center). They
      are handcrafted in the copper foil and solder
      method. They have an attached hoop so you may
      hang it in a window or from a Christmas tree as
      a holiday decoration. $18.00 each until March 1,
      2008 when the price goes up.

      Stained Glass Rainbow Star of David is made of
      seven different pieces of glass (the points are
      red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple with
      a frosted clear center). They are handcrafted in
      the copper foil and solder method. They have an
      attached hoop so you may hang it in a window.
      $18.00 each until March 1, 2008 when the price
      goes up.

      5. Link of the Month

      Free GLBTIQ Dating Service Launched

      Last week www.ChristianGays.com launched a
      completely free, faith-focused, full-featured
      GLBTIQ Dating Service.

      This is not a service where you sign up for free,
      but then have to pay to connect with people. It
      is not an introductory offer. This Dating Service
      is FREE now, and will remain completely FREE for
      ALL GLBTIQ’s.

      It is filled with more "extras" than most dating
      services, including the opportunity to have up to
      20 pics and 5 videos in your profile, instant
      messaging, contact others as soon as you register,
      and much more, but the main feature is the faith-
      focused compatibility questionnaire, 26 pages of
      questions which allows comparison of two profiles,
      calculating the percentage of compatibility overall,
      and in each section.

      Please visit the Web site at http://christiangays.com/osdate/

      6. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our book of reflections,
      "Christian with a Twist: Reflections on Scripture
      that are a bit more inclusive, a bit more relevant,
      and with a bit of a bite," by the late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Self Presentation"
      from the Epiphany section of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read Mark 1:4, 9-11

      I once heard a preacher begin a sermon on this passage
      by suggesting that we would wonder why Jesus would have
      to be baptized since he was without sin. This made me
      think so much about having never wondered such a thing
      that I pretty much missed the rest of the sermon.

      If I had been there with John at the Jordan River in
      those days I may have been surprised at seeing Jesus
      arrive. I may have been awestruck at his presence,
      but I do not think I would have been surprised to see
      him get in line for baptism. Likewise, if Jesus were
      to worship with us, I would fully expect to see him
      go up and take communion.

      Our own experience has a lot to do with how we relate
      Jesus to our own lives. All of us have heard that
      baptism is to wash away our sins, but how much washing
      we think we need depends on how we view ourselves.
      That, in turn, depends on the signals we have gotten
      from others.

      To me it seems that the word sin is far overused. I
      am sure I have sinned, but I do not think of myself
      as a sinner. Others do, I suppose, but not the people
      who loved me in my formative years. I cannot believe
      that God thinks of us as sinners either. I just cannot
      think that God says, "Well, I had better check on how
      the sinners are doing."

      I know I am neglecting the concept of original sin
      from which some think even a newborn baby must be
      cleansed. I remember hearing older women in church
      and family asking in hushed tones when someone died,
      "Was he saved?" and seeing the sigh of relief when
      the answer was yes.

      For me baptism was presenting myself to God in front
      of a faith community who shared the commitment I was
      making. It was not a turning away from a sinful past
      life, but rather a milestone in a life that I had come
      to appreciate more fully as God-given and God-guided.
      Sin was simply not on my mind. I was looking toward
      the future and I think God was, too.

      That Jesus presented himself before God as he began a
      ministry that would change the world seems the most
      natural of acts to me. Jesus had nothing to turn
      away from, but certainly much to move toward. That
      God’s voice was heard proclaiming, "You are my Son,
      the Beloved; with you I am well pleased," may have
      been miraculous, but it was as naturally motivated
      as our applause after one of our own comes up and
      is baptized.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      I hope you will take advantage of the special on
      stained glass before the prices have to go up on
      March 1.

      *****

      Our annual Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      now available!

      Please order now at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      *****

      I really encourage you all to become Guardian Angels
      of Chi Rho Press. This will help us a lot as we
      prepare our next books for publication. Just $150
      for a year will make you an important participant in
      this ministry.

      Thank you!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,