Chi Rho Press' eNewsletter, Vol. II, No. 11

    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2001
      Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 11
      May 19, 2001

      *************************

      �Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal.
      My strength lies solely in my tenacity.� Louis Pasteur

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter.
      Thank you for passing this eNewsletter on to others.

      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Please
      visit our Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com to see
      our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas, and
      stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Dr. Truluck in New Orleans
      2. 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse'
      3. Chi Rho Press is On the Road!
      4. Adam's Last Word: Writing Weekend

      1. Dr. Truluck in New Orleans

      Dr. Rembert S. Truluck will meet the Rev. Mel White and
      other Soulforce activists in New Orleans to oppose the
      Southern Baptist Convention's historically unfriendly
      message to Christian sexual minorities in early June.
      Dr. Truluck is the author of �Steps to Recovery from
      Bible Abuse,� published by Chi Rho Press. Dr. Truluck
      writes in his email newsletter announcing his trip,
      �You and I and Soulforce . . . are part of our mission
      from God to bring truth, hope, freedom, and self-
      acceptance to all of our LGBT sisters and brothers
      throughout the world. There is no turning back. We have
      to take our stand.'

      Dr. Truluck will begin his ministry activities in New
      Orleans Friday, June 8, at the Faubourg Marigny bookstore
      where he will sign copies of his book. Employees at
      Faubourg have already received a positive response from
      customers eager for an opportunity to learn more about Dr.
      Truluck's ministry. This signing is one of many Dr.
      Truluck has held across the country to share his
      interpretation of Christian scriptures, a studied and
      unique perspective.

      Dr. Truluck's Internet ministry, http://www.truluck.com,
      has received more than 12 million visitors since 1997.

      Also while in New Orleans, Dr. Truluck will lead a workshop
      about spiritual healing after Reverend White preaches on
      Sunday, June 10, at the Metropolitan Community Church in
      New Orleans.

      Ambush, the New Orleans gay and lesbian newspaper, will
      also be featuring Dr. Truluck in an article about him and
      his book. Visit http://www.truluck.com or read Ambush
      for more details about Dr. Truluck's New Orleans visit.

      Dr. Truluck's visit to New Orleans will be the first
      time the author has officially teamed up with Rev.
      White's Soulforce, Inc., an organization dedicated to
      spiritual justice for lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and
      transgendered (LGBT) people. The Laguna Beach, CA
      organization bases its activities on the teachings of
      Mahatma Ghandi and Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.

      The Southern Baptist Convention is the largest non-Catholic
      religious body in the United States with membership of
      about 16 million people. Every year representatives of
      Southern Baptist Churches meet to in to decide on policies
      of the church. Southern Baptists have taken anti-gay
      positions for many years and continue their policies of
      misinformation.

      �[The Southern Baptists] believe sincerely that [LGBT
      people] are both sick and sinful; that the so called
      �gay agenda� threatens the American family; that our call
      for the rights/rites of marriage will undermine that
      �sacred institution;� that we should not be allowed to
      adopt or foster parent, to teach or coach children, to
      serve in the military, let alone be ordained for Christian
      ministry,� according to a recent Soulforce communication.
      The organization discusses specifics of its planned
      demonstration, scheduled for June 11-13, in a May 7 news
      release available on the Soulforce web site,
      http://www.soulforce.org.

      Chi Rho Press, Inc., an LGBT publishing house founded in
      1990 and located in Maryland, is affiliated with the
      Mid-Atlantic District of Metropolitan Community Churches.
      The Press published Dr. Truluck's book in January 2000,
      and as of March 2001, the book is already in its second
      printing and is our fastest-selling title.

      2. 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse'

      The second printing of one of our most exciting,
      important, and unique books is now available! We
      urge Southern Baptists especially to buy and read
      this important book.

      'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' has only been
      improved with the second printing! The cover is now
      laminated and much more durable. The back cover
      features a bar code for easier handling by bookstores.
      This printing also includes the Library of Congress
      Cataloging-in-Publication information. And lastly,
      the author has written a short update that readers
      will enjoy.

      Sales of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' continue
      to be very strong. Ads for Dr. Truluck's book have
      appeared in the Advocate, The Other Side, Open Hands,
      and Ambush and the Times Picayune in New Orleans.

      'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' continues to be
      our fastest-selling title. It is still available for
      only $24.95, or $18.75 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.

      3. Chi Rho Press is on the Road!

      This spring and summer we are taking Chi Rho Press on
      the road! Editor/Office Manager Kevin Stone Fries
      coined the phrase "Traveling Bookstore" and Adam DeBaugh�s
      visit to MCC Winston Salem was a wonderful time. What a
      great choir they have! And what an enthusiastic bunch of
      book lovers were there to great Adam and Chi Rho Press.
      Many thanks to Pastor Ken Hull II and all the good people
      at MCC Winston-Salem.

      We are continuing to gear up for some more travel. We are
      available usually two weekends a month to travel in the
      nearby Mid-Atlantic region (since we drive to these
      'gigs'). Please write if you are interested in hosting
      the Chi Rho Press Traveling Bookstore at your local church
      or organization we are not limited to MCCs by any means!

      June 10 we are going to MCC Baltimore and their parish
      extension in Columbia, MD. The Rev. David Smith is our
      host. MCC Baltimore meets at 10 am at the Waxter
      Center, 1000 Cathedral St., Baltimore, MD.
      MCC Columbia meets at 6:30 pm at the Oakland Mills
      Interfaith Center, 'the end of Thunderhill Road,'
      Columbia, MD. http://www.mccbaltimore.org/

      June 23 and 24 we are visiting MCC Rehoboth, DE, opening
      up our Traveling Bookstore after the Sunday service, at 9
      and 10:30 am at their new location at 21 Midway Center,
      Highway One, Rehoboth Beach, DE.
      http://www.mccrehoboth.org/

      July 21 and 22 we are going to New Life MCC in Norfolk,
      VA. The Rev. Marty Luna and the Rev. Maria Wolfe are
      our hosts. The church meets at 10:30 am at 4035 East
      Ocean View Ave., Norfolk, VA.
      http://www.newlifemcc.org/

      Let us know if you would like to have Chi Rho Press'
      traveling bookstore come to your church or organization!

      Spring is here in the Washington area, though this week
      has brought its share of rain.

      My writing weekend in Winston-Salem, NC, was a wonderful
      four days. I am proud to say that I was very productive!
      And the stay at the Augustus T. Zeveley Inn in Old Salem
      was truly wonderful, thanks to their capable staff.

      It�s a busy time here at Chi Rho Press. March and April
      were high sales months on the Web page shopping cart, for
      which we are grateful. The Traveling Bookstores are a
      wonderful opportunity to travel, meet lots of our
      supporters, and of course, sell books!

      We hope this spring is a time of refreshment and renewal
      for you all!

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of our eNewsletter to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com/. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@.... For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      eNews@....
      For all other correspondence, please write

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our
      Web page or through our Canadian distributor, MAP
      Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, Odessa,
      ONT, Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail:
      mailto:mapenterprises@...; phone or fax:
      1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message)
      1-877-245-9569.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....