Chi Rho Press' eNewsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , May 8 3:30 PM
      Chi Rho Press eNewsletter
      Vol. II, No. 10
      May 8, 2001

      *************************

      Welcome once again to the Chi Rho Press eNewsletter.
      Thank you for passing this eNewsletter on to others.

      mailto:ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Please
      visit our Web site at http://www.chirhopress.com to see
      our entire lines of books, handouts, tchochkas, and
      stained glass.

      Direct all other e-mail to Adam@.... See
      the end of this eNewsletter for a complete list of
      e-mail addresses at ChiRhoPress.com.

      1. Chi Rho Press is On the Road!
      2. 14 Rules of Functional Familes (and Churches!)
      3. Handouts Reprinted
      4. Second Printing of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse'
      5. Adam's Last Word: Traveling Bookstore, Writing
      Weekend

      1. Chi Rho Press is on the Road!

      This spring and summer we are taking Chi Rho Press on
      the road! Editor/Office Manager Kevin Stone Fries
      coined the phrase �Traveling Bookstore� and in
      February we had a very successful visit to Kevin�s
      home church, Open Door MCC in Boyds, MD.

      While visiting my brother and his family in March we
      worshiped at MCC Winston-Salem, NC and had a successful
      bookstore there. Then on April 27 and 28 we were at
      the UFMCC Mid-Atlantic District Conference in Hagerstown,
      MD, for another good bookstore.
      http://www.mcc-midatl.org/

      And last Sunday (May 6) we were at Vision of Hope MCC,
      Mountville, PA (near Lancaster). Interim Pastor the
      Rev. Deb Coggins was our host at the church,
      located at 130 East Main St., Mountville, PA.

      Now, thanks to Kevin�s hard work, we are gearing up for
      some more travel. We are available usually two weekends
      a month to travel in the nearby Mid-Atlantic region
      (since we drive to these �gigs�). Please write if
      you are interested in hosting the Chi Rho Press
      Traveling Bookstore at your local church or
      organization we are not limited to MCCs by any means!

      This coming weekend (May 12 and 13), I will be back in
      Winston-Salem and again at the MCC there for their
      6 pm service. The Rev. Ken Hull is our host and the
      church is located at 2315 Huff St., Winston-Salem,
      NC. http://www.mccws.org/

      June 10 we are going to MCC Baltimore and their parish
      extension in Columbia, MD. The Rev. David Smith is our
      host. MCC Baltimore meets at 10 am at the Waxter
      Center, 1000 Cathedral St., Baltimore, MD.
      MCC Columbia meets at 6:30 pm at the Oakland Mills
      Interfaith Center, �the end of Thunderhill Road,�
      Columbia, MD. http://www.mccbaltimore.org/
      123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
      June 23 and 24 we are visiting MCC Rehoboth, DE. Very
      clever of me to schedule a trip to this wonderful (and
      very Gay) beach resort town on my birthday, which
      is that Saturday! But we are also opening up our
      Traveling Bookstore after the Sunday service, at 9 and
      10:30 am at their new location at 21 Midway Center,
      Highway One, Rehoboth Beach, DE. My old and dear
      friend the Rev. Tom Bohache will be our host.
      http://www.mccrehoboth.org/

      July 21 and 22 we are going to New Life MCC in Norfolk,
      VA. The Rev. Marty Luna and the Rev. Maria Wolfe are
      our hosts. The church meets at 10:30 am at 4035 East
      Ocean View Ave., Norfolk, VA.
      http://www.newlifemcc.org/

      Let us know if you would like to have Chi Rho Press�
      traveling bookstore come to your church or organization!

      2. 14 Rules of Functional Familes (and Churches!)

      We saw this in �Seascapes,� the wonderful newsletter of
      the Metropolitan Community Church of Rehoboth, Delaware
      (editor, Wayne Juneau). MCC Rehoboth is not only
      celebrating its 10th anniversary this month, but they
      are moving into their new worship and ministry center
      at 21 Midway Center, Highway One, Rehoboth Beach, DE.

      My old friend and colleague, the Rev. Tom Bohache is
      pastor there.

      �Seascapes� often has fascinating articles and this one
      struck us as particularly important not only for our
      families (biological and intentional) but also for our
      churches. This could really be called �14 Rules of
      Functional Churches� as well. How many of these traits
      does your congregation have?

      Here�s the article, reprinted with permission:

      From Virginia Ramey Mollenkott, �Sensuous Spirituality:
      Out from Fundamentalism:� John Bradshaw, the
      psychologist and theologian lists fourteen
      characteristics of functional families. If you are a
      member of a synagogue or church, as you read these
      you might want to ask yourself how many are
      characteristics of your home congregation and the
      national structure to which your congregational belongs.
      According to Bradshaw:

      1. Problems in functional families are acknowledged
      and resolved [not just �studied� and �postponed�
      everlastingly].

      2. All members [are free to] express their perceptions,
      feelings, thoughts, desires, and fantasies.

      3. All relationships are dialogical and equal. Each
      person is of equal value as a person.

      4. Communication is direct, congruent, concrete,
      specific, and behavioral.

      5. All family members can get their needs met.

      6. Family members [are allowed to] be different [and
      are accepted that way].

      7. Parents [in the case of churches, church leaders and
      officials] do what they say. They are self-disciplined
      disciplinarians.

      8. Family roles are chosen [by the members themselves]
      and are flexible.

      9. The atmosphere is fun and spontaneous.

      10. The rules require accountability.

      11. Violation of the values of other family members
      leads to healthy guilt [and correction].

      12. Mistakes are forgiven and viewed as learning tools.

      13. The family system exists for the individuals [not
      the individuals for the system].

      14. The parents [or church leaders and officials] are
      in touch with their own [healthy] shame; [that is, they
      readily acknowledge their own limitations and correct
      their errors willingly].

      (Citing John Bradshaw, �Bradshaw On: The Family;�
      Deerfield Beach, FL: Health Communications, 1988,
      pp. 54-55)

      3. Handouts Reprinted

      Chi Rho Press is pleased to announce the full
      availability of its complete line of Handouts.
      Churches and other ministries can now order without
      delay the Handouts that have been out of print for
      some time, including 'Welcome to MCC' and 'What Do
      We Believe?'

      Three of our four Handouts are specifically designed
      for Metropolitan Community Churches, while the fourth,
      'Free to Be: A Brief Look at the Bible and
      Homosexuality,' is useful for everyone.

      The Chi Rho Press line of Handouts includes:

      'FREE TO BE LESBIAN/GAY: A Brief Look at the Bible
      and Homosexuality,' by the Rev. Michael England.
      A brief analysis of the Biblical passages traditionally
      used to condemn homosexuality. Based on his best
      selling book, 'The Bible and Homosexuality,' now in
      its fifth edition from Chi Rho Press, Michael England
      has distilled the most important information from the
      book into this convenient, pocket-sized Handout.

      'WELCOME TO MCC!' by R. Adam DeBaugh. Basic background
      information about the UFMCC. Useful for visitors to
      MCC churches or anyone interested in learning about MCC.

      'WHAT DO WE BELIEVE?' by R. Adam DeBaugh. An explanation
      of the UFMCC Statement of Faith, the creedal statement
      that binds MCC members together worldwide.

      'WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A MEMBER OF MCC?' by R. Adam
      DeBaugh. A description of the requirements for
      membership in MCC.

      The four Handouts are helpful ministry tools for
      membership classes, visitors' packets, Pride events,
      while traveling on church business, or during visits to
      friends in the community. All four Handouts clearly
      and quickly inform readers about issues important to
      MCC congregations.

      Chi Rho Press's Handouts are pocket size reference
      materials priced at $0.20 each, plus shipping and
      handling. Discounts are available for orders of very
      large quantities. Handouts are six inches high by 18
      inches long, and folded down to a handy, pocket-sized,
      six by three-inch brochure.

      In addition, Chi Rho Press offers other books useful
      to MCC's ministry: 'The UFMCC Mission Statement,' by
      Rev. Virginia G. Miles and R. Adam DeBaugh, and the
      '2001 Liturgical Calendar' specially designed for our
      churches by Rev. Tom Bohache of Rehoboth Beach,
      Delaware.

      The Press also offers two additional fun and
      informative MCC resources by Jean Gralley. Gralley's
      insightful cartoons collected in 'What a Fellowship'
      will add levity and meaning to the congregational life
      of any MCC. Also, Gralley's 'Whole Church Body Book'
      explains church history in a way that all members can
      enjoy, with special attention to the life and call of
      the laity in the church.

      Please visit our Web site at http://www.ChiRhoPress.com
      to learn about our full line of products that each
      celebrates the faith and sexuality of all people.

      Order materials from our Web site,
      http://www.ChiRhoPress.com, using a credit card and the
      fast and convenient shopping cart option. Or send your
      check or money order in the amount of the price of the
      materials plus shipping and handling to:

      4. Second Printing of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse'

      The second printing of one of our most exciting,
      important, and unique books is now available!

      'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' has only been
      improved with the second printing! The cover is now
      laminated and much more durable. The back cover
      features a bar code for easier handling by bookstores.
      This printing also includes the Library of Congress
      Cataloging-in-Publication information. And lastly,
      the author has written a short update that readers
      will enjoy.

      Sales of 'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' continue
      to be very strong. Ads for Dr. Truluck's book have
      appeared in the Advocate, and we are running
      advertisements in upcoming issues of The Other Side
      and Open Hands magazines.

      'Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse' continues to be
      our fastest-selling title. It is still available for
      only $24.95, or $18.75 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.

      This has been a very busy spring for us here at Chi Rho
      Press. The weather in Maryland has been spectacular!

      Our prayers have been with our sisters and brothers in
      other parts of the country where things have been more
      trying. Floods in the Midwest seem to have subsided and
      I hope all of our friends there are safe and dry. Power
      shortages and �rolling blackouts� have plagued California.
      And it�s the beginning of tornado season!

      As we pray for our friends in other parts of the US and
      around the world, we also give thanks for our good
      fortune. Maryland is a great place to live, though a
      study announced yesterday has Washington DC the home of
      the fourth worst commute in the nation!

      Sales have been wonderful for our newly reprinted
      Handouts, as well as the new printing of �My Memory
      Book� and the second printing of �Steps to Recovery
      from Bible Abuse.�

      March had our second highest volume of sales on our Web
      site, second only to December, for which we are very
      grateful. And it looks as if April was right
      up there as well! Thanks to all of you who shop at
      ChiRhoPress.com. We never close!

      Dr. Rembert Truluck is going to New Orleans to be with
      Soulforce as a witness at the Southern Baptist
      Convention in early June. Ads for his book �Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse� will be appearing in the
      New Orleans Times-Picayune and in Ambush, the local
      LGBT newspaper. Dr. Truluck will be at a book
      signing at Faubourg Marigny. Watch for our next
      eNewsletter for a detailed scheduled of events.

      As you read in our first article, we are taking our
      Traveling Bookstore on the road more frequently.
      Our visit to Vision of Hope MCC, Mountville, PA last
      Sunday was very pleasant! Many thanks to the Rev.
      Debbie Coggin, Interim Pastor, for her gracious welcome.

      On a personal note, I am taking a few days off to do some
      writing. I am going back to Winston-Salem, North
      Carolina, to a wonderful bed and breakfast in Old Salem
      called the Augustus T. Zeveley Inn,
      http://www.winston-salem-inn.com/.

      Kevin Fries and I stayed there the end of March when
      we went down to visit my brother and his family and
      innkeeper Todd Sanders was a gracious and generous
      host.

      I am going by myself to spend four days and nights
      writing. Sunday I will be worshiping at MCC Winston-Salem
      and setting up our Traveling Bookstore. But the rest of
      the long weekend will be spent working on my book (maybe
      two different books), reading, praying, and relaxing.
      I am looking forward to a comfortable and productive
      four-day weekend of writing. Please keep me in your
      prayers!

      Blessings on you all this Spring! Thanks for being
      with us at Chi Rho Press.

      If you've received our eNewsletter as a result of the
      good offices of someone passing it along to you (which
      we certainly encourage) and would like to receive it
      directly from us, please follow the directions at the
      end of our eNewsletter to subscribe.

      To order, please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com/. You
      may pay by credit card on our web page or we will ship
      order. Include your e-mail address, mailing address,
      and telephone number please.

      If you have questions, please write to
      Question@.... For comments and suggestions
      about this eNewsletter, please write
      eNews@....
      For all other correspondence, please write

      Our Canadian friends can order using credit cards on our
      Web page or through our Canadian distributor, MAP
      Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, Box 340, Odessa,
      ONT, Canada, K0H 2H0; e-mail:
      mailto:mapenterprises@...; phone or fax:
      1-613-386-5711; or toll free (leave a message)
      1-877-245-9569.

      Kevin Stone Fries, Editor/Office Manager,
      Kevin@....