Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 6, 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2008
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 6, 2008

      Spiritual stress busters

      "For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every
      languishing soul I will replenish."
      Jeremiah 31:25

      Stress can be physically, emotionally, and yes,
      even spiritually exhausting. Commuting tensions,
      work pressures, family worries can make us want
      to howl with frustration and anxiety. By now many
      of our New Year's resolutions have already been
      broken, leading to feelings of guilt and personal
      failure. Many of us have not exercised or dieted.
      Others may have sworn off cigarettes, alcohol, or
      drugs with the best of intentions and have miserable
      results after a week. Or perhaps we had a fight
      with someone and feel terrible about it.

      People need healthy stress busters. Releasing
      constant worries and tensions from our bodies
      might prevent early strokes and heart attacks,
      nervous breakdowns, migraine headaches, and
      ulcers. Ignoring our bodies often results in
      physical and emotional symptoms that persistently
      cry out for our attention. When feeling frantic,
      slow down and take a mental health break before
      your stress breaks you.

      Human beings also need the spiritual stress busters
      of rest, unscheduled time, and rejuvenating sleep.
      North American society and culture hurries us on
      the inside and the outside. We need God's sense
      of time to prevent spiritual fatigue. We need
      moments of holy leisure. We need moments where
      we literally refrain from productive activity to
      rest. Perhaps we need to remember that sleep is
      sacred. Rest is a holy word. The words of an
      ancient Jewish prophet invite us into God's rest,
      "I will satisfy the weary, and all who are faint,
      I will replenish" (Jeremiah 31:25).

      Consider making time for adequate sleep and taking
      naps throughout the year as part of your spiritual
      stress buster strategy. Listen to your body and
      honor your spirit. Rest securely in the presence
      of God. Let yourself be inwardly replenished with
      healing rest and you will find your stress levels
      significantly reduced.

      May our sleep be healing and restoring, dear God.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com