Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 2, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 2, 2007

      **********

      The 2008 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      now available. Read about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      Choose your companions carefully

      "Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the
      companion of fools suffers harm."
      Proverbs 13:20

      Many scripture readers overlook the book of Proverbs
      to their detriment. These pithy Middle Eastern
      sayings of wisdom are refreshingly timeless. It
      does not matter if we are gay or straight, young
      or old, male or female. There is something for
      everyone in the wisdom of these teachings.

      Today's proverb reminds us friends have great
      influence in our lives. We must choose our
      companions carefully. If we walk with the wise,
      we will become wise. Fools on the other hand,
      will eventually come to harm.

      What is a fool? Fools are people who have little
      to no judgment or common sense. Perhaps they act
      in rash and reckless ways, without good sense or
      wisdom. A fool's paradise is always a deceptive
      happiness based on illusions.

      We jokingly speak of God watching over children
      and fools. But if our companions are foolish,
      sooner or later, they will bring us to harm
      through their irresponsible behavior and life
      choices. Actions have consequences. Only
      fools go where the prudent and intelligent
      fear to tread.

      I remember one family whose youngest child drifted
      into the influence of foolish friends. Through the
      friends' foolish peer influence, their son dropped
      out of high school and became involved with drugs
      and alcohol. Before he knew it, the impressionable
      teenager was selling drugs to support his growing
      drug and alcohol addiction. Many of his friends
      stole from their own parents to support their drug
      habits. As a drug dealer, this young man hanged
      out with a rough crowd and thought he was invincible.

      Reality eventually caught up with him. He was beaten
      and left for dead in a drug deal that went badly.
      His life went downhill from there. By his thirties,
      he was sleeping on a couch in a gas station. His
      foolish friends were always ready to party, but
      none encouraged him to face his problems and turn
      his life around.

      Through God's grace, he met someone who saw his
      potential even when he hit rock bottom. With this
      person's encouragement and friendship, he now has
      a job, makes an honest wage, owns a modest home,
      has a lover and a bright drug-free future.

      I had a memorable conversation with him on his
      fortieth birthday. By this time, the majority of
      his former friends were either in prison or dead.
      He felt lucky to be alive and regretted those
      wasted years. He now chooses his friends with
      great care and strives to make every day a fresh
      start.

      Many people come to misfortune and grief through
      foolish friends. They care not for your welfare
      or best interests. Their thoughtless risk-taking
      can bring you into harm's way. So choose your
      friends with care. Search for wise friends with
      good judgment, understanding, and prudence. Do
      not suffer fools gladly.

      God, I thank you for the wisdom and caring of good
      friends who care deeply for my welfare. Help me
      reciprocate and be a wise, caring, and encouraging
      friend. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com