Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 25, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 25, 2007

      **********

      The 2008 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      now available. Read about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      Jesus stopped for one person

      "Immediately her hemorrhage stopped; and she felt
      in her body that she was healed of her disease.
      Immediately aware that power had gone forth from
      him, Jesus turned about in the crowd and said,
      'Who touched my clothes?' And his disciples said
      to him, 'You see the crowd pressing in on you; how
      can you say, "Who touched me?"' He looked all round
      to see who had done it. But the woman, knowing what
      had happened to her, came in fear and trembling, fell
      down before him, and told him the whole truth. He
      said to her, 'Daughter, your faith has made you well;
      go in peace, and be healed of your disease.'"
      Mark 5:29-34 (NRSV)

      Even as the eager crowd pressed about him, Jesus felt
      his remarkable power reach out and heal someone. He
      stopped in his tracks while the excited crowd
      breathlessly awaited his words. Slowly surveying
      the crowd, Jesus asked them, "who touched my clothes?"
      His baffled inner circle of disciples were impatient
      at what they felt was a needless delay. Time was of
      the essence. "But Jesus," they probably responded,
      "with this enormous crowd, many people have been
      pressing against you. Perhaps we should hurry, for
      the sick little girl is near death and awaiting your
      healing touch."

      In fear and trembling, the formerly ill and desperate
      woman came forward. It was obvious to her that Jesus
      would not move on until she identified herself.
      Although it was considered highly improper for a
      Jewish woman to speak publicly to a man not her
      husband, she mustered every ounce of courage, and
      reluctantly came forward. While all eyes were
      riveted on her, she quietly shared the whole truth
      of her illness and suffering to Jesus and the gaping
      crowd. For a moment, time seemed to stand still as
      the pathos of her life touched their hearts.

      Jesus listened intently. He then kindly and publicly
      blessed her act of faith and restored the tremulous
      woman back into meaningful community. "Daughter,"
      said Jesus, "your faith has healed you. Go in peace
      and be freed from your suffering." By saying this,
      he spoke with an authority his listeners and critics
      alike would honor.

      Jesus respected the desperate woman's courage and
      gladly affirmed her healing, thus restoring her
      status as a religiously clean and healthy person
      to her local religious and social community. Her
      neighbors, friends, and family would no longer fear
      being near her. The healed woman could now entertain,
      experience meaningful touch by the people who loved
      her, and attend public functions in town and her
      synagogue. She was an outcast no longer. Jesus
      healed much more than her physical illness. He
      had healed the deepest needs of her soul.

      What can we take from this story and apply to our
      own lives? There are many lessons here. Perhaps
      the most important is that when one person reaches
      out to Jesus, he stops and compassionately listens.
      As he healed the deepest needs of this sick woman's
      soul, so he can heal our hurts and loneliness.
      Jesus continues even to this day, to bring isolated
      people into affirming community and deeper relationship
      with God. But first we must reach out in faith.

      Heal us, O Christ, as you have healed the deepest
      needs of this sick woman. May we too, experience
      healing faith and your peace, and experience freedom
      from our human sufferings. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com