Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 11, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 11, 2007

      The 2008 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      now available. Read about it and order it at

      The grace of giving money

      "We want you to know, brothers and sisters, about
      the grace of God that has been granted to the
      churches of Macedonia; for during a severe ordeal
      of affliction, their abundant joy and their extreme
      poverty have overflowed in a wealth of generosity
      on their part. For, as I can testify, they
      voluntarily gave according to their means, and
      even beyond their means, begging us earnestly for
      the privilege of sharing in this ministry to the
      saints and this, not merely as we expected; they
      gave themselves first to the Lord and, by the will
      of God, to us, so that we might urge Titus that,
      as he had already made a beginning, so he should
      also complete this generous undertaking among you.
      Now as you excel in everything, in faith, in speech,
      in knowledge, in utmost eagerness, and in our love
      for you, so we want you to excel also in this
      generous undertaking. I do not say this as a
      command, but I am testing the genuineness of your
      love against the earnestness of others. For you
      know the generous act of our Lord Jesus Christ,
      that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he
      became poor, so that by his poverty you might
      become rich."
      2 Corinthians 8:1-9

      Today's Bible verses encourage the generosity of
      God's people to give financially to those in dire
      need. The inspired author of this material is
      the apostle Paul, writing to the first century
      Corinthian church in Greece. Paul's timeless
      words of encouragement to complete the collection
      of money for famine relief are appropriate today.
      World hunger should be a Christian concern locally
      and globally, wherever people routinely go to bed
      hungry, and children perish daily from starvation.

      Christians must be generous in giving their money
      for hunger relief, teaches Paul, because of the
      example of grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus
      was supremely generous and gave his all for humanity,
      so we could experience the riches of God. We are to
      follow the generous example of Jesus and share our
      abundance with others in need.

      Paul understood Jesus was very concerned with world
      hunger and suffering people. But the Corinthian
      church was more concerned with their own needs and
      was neglecting their earlier promise of famine relief
      to the Jerusalem church in far away Israel. Perhaps
      we too, need this refresher course in the grace of
      giving money today.

      God loves a cheerful giver and is pleased when we
      share our resources generously with suffering
      humanity. Christians are to excel in many graces
      in speech, knowledge of God, sincerity, and love
      for the saints. Christians are also expected by
      God to give willingly from their abundance. When
      in doubt of how much to give, consider the supremely
      generous act of Christ going to the cross, and be
      inspired to give without any hidden agenda or
      expectations of payback, with or without interest
      or profitable gain.

      People of faith are often uncomfortable when the
      subject comes to money. Paul expands his teachings
      through chapters 8 and 9 in this letter to the
      Corinthians. We are to give freely from the heart
      and never reluctantly or under compulsion. As we
      give generously to others in need, many will give
      thanks and honor God as a result.

      The grace of giving financially is one very practical
      aspect of our confession of faith. Sometimes we have
      to put our money where our mouth is. Talk can be
      very cheap. It takes money to feed the starving,
      clothe the poor, shelter the homeless, help the
      orphan, and reach out with the compassion of Christ.
      A church that is not giving is not living up to its
      fullest God-given potential to make an impact in the
      world. When in doubt, give more and not less.

      All Christians, gay and straight alike, rich and poor,
      are expected to open their wallets and pockets to
      assist others less fortunate. This is the heart of
      today's Bible verses.

      Teach us, O God, to give generously to others in need
      locally and globally. Help us be very concerned with
      world hunger and act accordingly. May we always be
      inspired through the generous act of giving,
      demonstrated by our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com