Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 4, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 4, 2007

      **********

      The 2008 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      now available. Read about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

      "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength
      of [God's] power. Put on the whole armour of God,
      so that you may be able to stand against the wiles
      of the devil. For our struggle is not against
      enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers,
      against the authorities, against the cosmic powers
      of this present darkness, against the spiritual
      forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore
      take up the whole armour of God, so that you may
      be able to withstand on that evil day, and having
      done everything, to stand firm."
      Ephesians 6:10-13

      As followers of Christ, we will experience spiritual
      warfare. We live in a world full of good and evil.
      Evil comes in many forms and disguises, and attempts
      to extinguish the light of God within us. Evil can
      be subtle and easy to miss. Evil can wear us down
      like a pebble in a shoe. We are in a struggle that
      is not against flesh and blood, but a struggle that
      is cosmic in nature. The struggle may come in the
      form of reasonable compromise or may be quite obvious,
      such as great movements of evil in world history.

      How can we be strong in God? We can live in the
      strength of God's power and withstand evil by
      wearing the whole armor of God. Partial armor
      is not enough. Years of military experience
      reveal that the enemies will always look for a
      weak link in the line of defense. The enemy
      will study their opponent's weaknesses and when
      least expected, will attack and slaughter without
      mercy.

      What is the whole armor of God? We put on our
      armor while standing firm in our faith. Wear
      your belt of truth. Put on the breastplate of
      righteousness. Wear shoes that will prepare you
      to proclaim the Gospel of peace. St. Francis
      reminds us to preach the Gospel at all times
      and if necessary, to use words. Hold on to your
      shield of faith. Wear the helmet of salvation
      and sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
      Pray in the power of the Holy Spirit at all times
      in every prayer. Pray alertly and frequently for
      other Christians in their struggles against the
      evil one. Our best ammunition against evil and
      doubt is prayer. Praise the Lord and pass the
      ammunition!

      I used to have a bookmark that said something like
      this, "When we reach up, God is reaching down."
      When we clothe ourselves with the whole armor of
      God, we can be confident that God is standing
      alongside us. God is greater than all the combined
      forces of evil. One plus God is a majority. We
      need to pray for each other to succeed in our
      Christian lives. Through our prayers, we can help
      others put on their spiritual armor when they are
      battle fatigued and unprepared.

      Many people say sexual minorities cannot be
      Christians, but the word of God invites seekers
      from all sexual orientations who are interested
      in Christ into the family of God. This is an
      important part of our armor. Without this
      understanding, we are vulnerable to the attacks
      of the evil one who delights in defeating us with
      lies and deceptions.

      So praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! Wear
      the full armor of God. Remember, the Bible invites
      without discrimination all, whosoever, anyone, and
      everyone to a full and triumphant life in God.

      God, thank you for your word, which so empowers us
      for spiritual warfare. Help us stand firm and stand
      tall in your armor. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com