Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 14, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 14, 2007

      **********

      The 2008 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      now available. Read about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      Honest to God

      "From noon on, darkness came over the whole land until
      three in the afternoon. And about three o'clock Jesus
      cried with a loud voice, 'Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?'
      that is, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'"
      Matthew 27:45-46

      Hour after agonizing hour went by. A strange and
      eerie darkness fell over the land. As Christ
      experienced the full pain of the curse of sin,
      darkness pervaded the earth. When the earth was
      at its darkest hour, Jesus cried out in despair,
      "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (quoting
      Psalm 22:1 NIV).

      Who among us has not experienced the darkness of
      despair, loneliness, betrayal, torment, ridicule,
      rejection, verbal and/or physical abuse, and
      suffering? The darkest despair of all is feeling
      forsaken and separated from God. Jesus, even Jesus,
      cried out in despair.

      I have listened to many suffering people cry out
      similar heartfelt words. Sometimes people of faith
      discourage this kind of spiritual honesty. "It's
      not nice to question God," these well-meaning
      comforters will say. "You need to have more faith,"
      they remind us. Even Jesus felt forsaken in his
      darkest moments before death. We too, can cry out
      and feel safe with our questions and doubts.

      My mother eventually lost her battle with cancer
      after years of chemotherapy and radiation. When
      she was on hourly morphine, she still struggled
      to breathe without pain. I would often hold her
      and rock her gently back and forth as she cried
      in pain. "Why is God doing this to me?" she often
      asked. I never knew what to say. I only know God
      cried with us and provided strength for the moment,
      sometimes one breath at a time. I had the privilege
      of being with her when she died and will never forget
      her last words. "God is calling my name," she
      struggled to say, "and I'm not afraid." Throughout
      her illness, she had been honest to God with her
      diagnosis and prognosis. God honored her spiritual
      honesty and provided her with the courage and faith
      she needed at the hour of her death.

      Jesus was honest to God on the cross. His words
      give us courage to share our doubts, questions,
      and fears with God. God can help us in our darkest
      hours when we feel abandoned, forsaken, and forgotten.
      Be honest to God. Your circumstances might not change,
      but you will be spiritually empowered.

      God, give us the spiritual honesty of Jesus as we
      struggle with darkness in our lives. Give us
      spiritual empowerment for one breath at a time.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com