Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VIII, No. 10

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2007

      Vol. VIII, No. 10

      1. New 2008 Liturgical Calendar
      2. New Sterling Silver Pendants
      3. May We Suggest Stained Glass?
      4. "Christian with a Twist"

      1. New 2008 Liturgical Calendar!

      The new Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is out!
      The new Church Year starts with the first Sunday in
      Advent, December 2, 2007. Chi Rho Press’ annual
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary for 2007-2008 is
      back from the printer and ready to ship.

      The NEW 2007-2008 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary
      Year A is now on the Chi Rho Press Web site. You may
      view it and order it at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      The 2007-2008 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells
      for $11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      The Lectionary in the Liturgical Calendar is from the
      Revised Common Lectionary, widely used as the
      ecumenical consensus on readings for each Sunday and
      holy day in the three-year cycle of the church year.
      Our Liturgical Calendar is packed with useful
      information for planning worship and preaching in
      the local church. It is intended for use by pastors,
      musicians, altar guilds, teachers, theological students,
      and anyone using the Church Year as a basis for worship
      or education. The Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound
      so it can lie flat for easy use, in the popular 8 ½" x
      11" format.

      Featured in this new Liturgical Calendar are these
      sections: A Heading that identifies the day in the
      church year (for example, the first Sunday of Advent)
      with alternative descriptions where appropriate.
      The Revised Common Lectionary readings, including
      a brief summary of each reading. (These are intended
      as only a very brief overview to identify general
      themes as an aid to worship planning. We do not
      represent them as anything approaching a thorough
      exegesis.)

      The First Reading is usually from the Hebrew Testament,
      but there are exceptions, such as the use of readings
      from Acts during the Easter season. These are sometimes
      selected thematically to fit the Liturgical Calendar,
      but often are simply being read through key passages
      over a series of weeks. This is followed by a Response,
      usually a Psalm. The Epistle Reading is next, like the
      Hebrew Testament Reading typically a series of key
      passages from the same book being read over a number
      of weeks. Finally the Gospel Reading follows the story
      of Jesus through the Christmas and Easter cycles, plus
      the teachings of Jesus the rest of the year.

      Next is a section called "Worship Planning." This
      includes suggestions for decorations or symbols for
      special seasons, such as Advent wreaths; the
      liturgical color for the day; etc.

      Rev. Witt has added lots of Notes in the Worship
      Planning section, which serve to explain in more
      detail information about the time of the church
      year, provide resources for further study and
      information, and develop liturgical themes to make
      your worship experience more rich and meaningful.

      Then comes a section called "Special Events," which
      includes any special events occurring that day or that
      week that you may wish to commemorate, such as World
      AIDS Day, and some special occasions for celebrations
      of diversity, such as celebration days for specific
      cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and special days for
      the GLBT community (e.g., a day of remembrance for
      Matthew Shepard).

      As a special added section, we have included
      alternative readings for the five Sundays of
      Pride-Tide (June) prepared by the Rev. Gordon
      McCoy. The five sets of readings for Pride-Tide
      may be used at any time in the year that the faith
      community celebrates LGBT Pride. The standard
      Revised Common Lectionary readings are included
      for the five Sundays in June as well.

      The 2007-2008 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful
      aid for anyone involved in planning worship, as well
      as a useful resource for all who want to know more
      about the Church year and the rich liturgical life
      of the Church Universal. We think you will like
      this Liturgical Calendar.

      Order the 2008 Calendar today at this new link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      The 2008 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells for
      $11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      2. Sterling Silver Pendants

      We totally sold out of our first two orders of Sterling
      Silver MCC crosses and logos! Our silver smith is
      working now to create a new order for us. They will
      be ready soon! Order now, but be patient! Real
      craftsmanship sometimes takes time.

      A Gay jewelry artist has cast the traditional MCC
      Chi Rho cross and the newer MCC logo in Solid
      Sterling Silver for Chi Rho Press.

      The traditional MCC Cross with the overlapped Greek
      letters Chi and Rho in the center (a traditional
      monogram for Christ, being the first letters in the
      Greek word Christos) and the Greek letters Alpha and
      Omega on the cross bar (the first and last letters
      in the Greek alphabet, signifying the Jesus is the
      Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end).
      On the reverse of the cross is the dove of the Holy
      Spirit. The Solid Sterling Silver crosses are 13/16
      inches wide and 1 inch tall, and sell for $19.95 each,
      plus shipping and handling. Six or more are $14.95
      each, plus shipping and handling. Chains are extra.

      The new MCC logo on a round pendant with the flame
      of the Holy Spirit intersecting the stylized globe.
      The Solid Sterling Silver MCC logos are 7/8 inch in
      diameter, and sell for $24.95 each, plus shipping
      and handling. Six or more are $18.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling. Chains are extra.

      We also have 24 inch chains in polished steel for
      $2.50 each and in Solid Sterling Silver for $10.00
      each, plus shipping and handling.

      Please see and order your MCC Crosses or MCC Logos
      at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/silver_jewelry.html

      3. May We Suggest Stained Glass?

      We have on our Web site eight photos of stained glass
      windows made by resident stained glass craftsperson,
      Adam DeBaugh. Adam specializes in windows and also
      created the small pieces that Chi Rho Press sells.

      The stained glass pieces made especially for Chi Rho
      Press are the basic cross ($12.00), the gay/lesbian
      rainbow flag ($18.00), the red stained glass AIDS
      ribbon ($7.50), the rainbow cross ($18.00), and the
      rainbow star of David ($18.00). See them at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html.

      Contact him at Adam@... for further
      information and to discuss commissions for larger
      works.

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site and take a
      look at the stained glass windows and buy some of
      the smaller pieces that are readily available.

      4. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our book of reflections,
      "Christian with a Twist: Reflections on Scripture
      that are a bit more inclusive, a bit more relevant,
      and with a bit of a bite," by the late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Blood Songs" from the
      Ordinary Time section of "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read John 6:53-57

      When I first turned to this passage I thought, "Oh,
      I do not want to go there!" But then I remembered
      a conversation I overheard among friends in which
      they were wondering aloud why some people objected
      to singing "blood songs" in church. I did not enter
      into the conversation the show was about to begin
      and God will sometimes use anything to shut me up.
      I needed to save my input and superior understanding
      as to just why people object until I had some time
      to think it through.

      It so happens that I quite merrily sing blood songs
      these days. They are some of our most rousing hymns
      and I probably show my age by wishing we sang the
      old standards more often. I do not mind saying,
      "The body and blood of Jesus," when I serve communion
      either. Sometimes though, I feel called to say, "The
      gifts from Christ's table," or "the bread of life and
      the cup of salvation." A little softer and gentler,
      perhaps?

      I want to say what people can hear, but only Jesus
      knows that. So I go with my feelings. Such a
      feeling one time motivated me to nudge a friend
      during one of the "blood songs" and say, "If we
      heard indigenous people in a dark jungle singing
      these words we would call them barbarians."

      And these words of Jesus would sound as cannibalistic
      as the ancient Aztecs to somebody who did not know
      that they were from the gospel. And they can perhaps
      be stumbling blocks for people on a certain part of
      their spiritual path.

      Some people seem to have no trouble with these things.
      They take the Bible and Christian beliefs as they
      find them on faith, I guess they say. I am not
      like that. Someone said to me once, "You question
      everything, don't you?" It was meant as a compliment,
      and yes I do.

      I take my beliefs apart and look at them long and
      hard. Usually I then find personal value in them
      and pack them back in the spiritual tool box that
      helps me face life.

      But if I find them to be excess baggage or overly
      cumbersome weight, I toss them at least for awhile.
      Sometimes Jesus brings them back to me and I will
      reconsider and accept them anew, but I can always
      say, "Yes," if somebody asks me, "Did you pack this
      yourself and keep watch over it?" If they ask if
      anyone gave me anything to carry, I can say, "Only
      Jesus, and he is my friend and is traveling with me."

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      Our annual Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary is
      now available!

      Please order now at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      *****

      Shipping and Handling Tip: This tip will be
      especially important if you are ordering one or
      two Liturgical Calendars!

      When you are ordering from the Chi Rho Press Web
      site, be sure to tell us your preferred shipping
      method. The way the shopping cart is set up, the
      shipping method defaults to United Parcel Service.
      This is NOT the most economical way to ship for
      orders under seven pounds. If you want the most
      inexpensive shipping (within the United States)
      it is usually best to pick USPS (United States
      Postal Service Domestic Parcel Post) for packages
      weighing under seven pounds. UPS (United Parcel
      Service) Ground is more economical for packages
      heavier than seven pounds. The shopping cart will
      tell you how much your order weighs in the box right
      next to your order amount and price. There is a link
      there to change your shipping method as well.

      When I order one copy of the Liturgical Calendar and
      allow the default UPS Ground shipping method, the
      shipping cost is almost as much as the book, $10.11!
      But if I change the shipping method to USPS Parcel
      Post shipping is only $6.28, and it is $6.46 for USPS
      Priority Mail.

      Be smart shoppers and choose your shipping options
      carefully to avoid paying too much!

      *****

      I really encourage you all to become Guardian Angels
      of Chi Rho Press. This will help us a lot as we
      prepare our next books for publication. Just $150
      for a year will make you an important participant in
      this ministry.

      Thank you!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,