Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 16, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 16, 2007

      **********

      We are now taking advance orders for the 2008
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary. Read about
      it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa07_08.html

      Hard times

      Jesus said, "So when you see the desolating sacrilege
      standing in the holy place, as was spoken of by the
      prophet Daniel (let the reader understand), then
      those in Judea must flee to the mountains; someone
      on the housetop must not go down to take what is in
      the house; someone in the field must not turn back
      to get a coat. Woe to those who are pregnant and
      to those who are nursing infants in those days!
      Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a
      sabbath. For at that time there will be great
      suffering, such as has not been from the beginning
      of the world until now, no, and never will be. And
      if those days had not been cut short, no one would
      be saved; but for the sake of the elect those days
      will be cut short. Then if anyone says to you,
      'Look! Here is the Messiah!' or 'There he is!'
      do not believe it. For false messiahs and false
      prophets will appear and produce great signs and
      omens, to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.
      Take note, I have told you beforehand."
      Matthew 24:15-25

      Famous scholars disagree about the meaning of some
      Bible passages. Depending on which commentaries and
      study notes you refer to, you will find a number of
      wide ranging interpretations on these verses.

      There are some areas of agreement. Most of the
      resources I consulted agreed that Jesus was referring
      to prophetic passages in Daniel 9:27; 11:31; 12:11
      (Bruce, F. F. General Editor. "The International
      Bible Commentary with the New International Version.")
      Many people believe Jesus was speaking of a double
      reference to the catastrophic event when the Roman
      army would destroy the Jerusalem temple in A.D. 70
      and to the Antichrist (Hendriksen, William. "New
      Testament Commentary. The Gospel of Matthew," pp.
      860-861). One commentary suggests the Sabbath
      reference was clearly a Jewish perspective by the
      Gospel author Matthew (Guthrie, D., and J. A. Motyer,
      Editors. "The New Bible Commentary," p. 845). The
      author of Matthew was Jewish. It would have been
      against the Jewish law to travel on the Sabbath.
      Another scholar states that this horrible disaster
      that affected Israel was limited in scope and had
      a definite end. History continued. The events
      were "catastrophic but not apocalyptic" (ibid).
      They were not the end of world history.

      This passage remains very difficult to interpret
      and understand. What I clearly understand is this:
      Jesus has told us ahead of time that there will be
      many false Christs and prophets. I do not have to
      be deceived. The Gospels are our standard of
      measurement for when the going gets tough.

      Rather than be fearful of the end times, get to know
      Jesus through reading the Gospels of Matthew, Mark,
      Luke, and John. Get to know him personally and be
      spiritually empowered for whatever life brings your
      way. Jesus´┐Ż words and wisdom are timeless for your
      era of world history and global culture. We can be
      secure in the words of Christ and know truth when
      deceit surrounds us. So take courage and rest in
      Christ.

      God, sometimes the Bible is difficult to understand.
      We live in a world where fearful and distressing
      events occur locally and globally. Give us insight
      and discernment as we strive to know Jesus, sometimes
      in the midst of chaos and confusion. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com