Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of Sept. 9, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of September 9, 2007

      Be very careful

      "Woe to you, blind guides, who say, 'Whoever swears
      by the sanctuary is bound by nothing, but whoever
      swears by the gold of the sanctuary is bound by the
      oath.' You blind fools! For which is greater, the
      gold or the sanctuary that has made the gold sacred?
      And you say, 'Whoever swears by the altar is bound
      by nothing, but whoever swears by the gift that is
      on the altar is bound by the oath.' How blind you
      are! For which is greater, the gift or the altar
      that makes the gift sacred? So whoever swears by
      the altar, swears by it and by everything on it;
      and whoever swears by the sanctuary, swears by it
      and by the one who dwells in it; and whoever swears
      by heaven, swears by the throne of God and by the
      one who is seated upon it."
      Matthew 23:16-22

      I believe it was Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
      who said, "Be very careful what you set your heart
      upon, for you will surely have it." Set your heart
      upon loving and serving God. Honor your oaths, vows,
      and promises to God. Today's verses remind us to
      be very careful indeed. Are we serving as blind
      spiritual guides? Does money blind us? Or have
      we blinded others by our own idolization of money?
      Have we valued anything more than our vows, oaths,
      and promises to God? Have we compromised our
      spiritual integrity for personal greed?

      Life is a spiritual marathon. A photograph of a
      blind man running a marathon with a sighted partner,
      which I saw in a running magazine with an advertisement
      for the Marine Corps Marathon, deeply influenced me
      many years ago. The blind man wore a large sign
      pinned to his chest that said, "BLIND." I marveled
      at his courage and faith in his running partner to
      run 26.2 grueling miles. He trusted his partner's
      clear vision as well as his faithful and protective
      presence. The blind man could not have run the race
      with a sightless guide in that jostling crowd of
      thousands of fellow marathoners. He needed a sighted
      guide to finish the race.

      In much the same way, we benefit by having clear
      sighted and reliable spiritual guides who offer us
      their experience and wisdom. Be selective and seek
      guides known for their integrity and trustworthiness.
      However, even the best spiritual mentors can
      disappoint. But Jesus Christ will never let you
      down or abandon you when the going gets tough.
      Whatever your circumstances, follow his guidance
      and you will find sure footing along with growing
      spiritual clarity and perception. You might be
      astonished at how God might bring seekers and
      believers into your life, seeking your experiences
      in the spiritual life, drawn to you because Christ
      is your guide in life.

      God, give us eyes to see this warning. Give us
      spiritual insight to respond to it. Help us heed
      the words of Christ today and be wise spiritual
      guides. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com