Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 26, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 26, 2007

      Hosanna!

      "And when they drew near to Jerusalem and came to
      Beth'phage, to the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent
      two disciples, saying to them, 'Go into the village
      opposite you, and immediately you will find an ass
      tied, and a colt with her; untie them and bring them
      to me. If any one says anything to you, you shall
      say, "The Lord has need of them," and he will send
      them immediately.' This took place to fulfill what
      was spoken by the prophet, saying, 'Tell the daughter
      of Zion, Behold, your king is coming to you, humble,
      and mounted on an ass, and on a colt, the foal of
      an ass.' The disciples went and did as Jesus had
      directed them; they brought the ass and the colt,
      and put their garments on them, and he sat thereon.
      Most of the crowd spread their garments on the road,
      and others cut branches from the trees and spread
      them on the road. And the crowds that went before
      him and that followed him shouted, 'Hosanna to the
      Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name
      of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!' And when he
      entered Jerusalem, all the city was stirred, saying,
      'Who is this?' And the crowds said, 'This is the
      prophet Jesus from Nazareth of Galilee.'"
      Matthew 21:1-11

      Jesus was at a crossroads. Some might call this
      fate or destiny. Others would say he is at a divine
      appointment. At the crossroads, he consciously made
      the choice to courageously go forward to his death
      on the cross. The disciples and cheering crowds
      had no idea of what was to come. This was why Jesus
      was born. He knew and accepted his divine fate.
      In doing so, Jesus forever changed the world.

      Everything he did was with intention and obedience
      to prophecy. The donkey symbolized humility, peace,
      and Davidic royalty (Zechariah 9:9). The very large
      crowds spread their cloaks as an act of royal homage
      (2 Kings 8:28). "Hosanna" means both prayer and
      praise. Jesus was being recognized as a king, a
      leader, and a prophet from God. For a moment he
      enjoyed the accolades of adoring crowds. The soon
      to be fickle crowds enthusiastically cheered Jesus.
      The entire city was stirred. Many asked, "Who is
      this?" Perhaps you have the same question, Who is
      this Jesus?

      Usually we read this passage (commonly called "the
      Triumphal Entry") for Palm Sunday. But the drama
      of the gospel is appropriate anytime of the year.
      Other Gospel accounts of this dramatic event are
      located in Mark 11:1-10, Luke 19:29-38, and John
      12:12-15. If today were Palm Sunday, we would
      begin what the Christian Church calls "Holy Week"
      with special Maundy Thursday and Good Friday worship
      services. This is the week when people of faith
      around the world remember the cross, death, burial,
      and resurrection of Jesus. Easter celebrates the
      empty tomb.

      We need to remember King Jesus, Son of David, the
      Messiah, is the Christ. He not only rode into
      Jerusalem on a donkey, but even today Jesus
      wishes to ride into our hearts and live with us
      forever.

      The crowds cried, "Hosanna!" They blessed Jesus
      publicly as he rode by. We would do well if we
      followed their example. So the questions beg
      asking. Who is this Jesus? Who is he to you?
      Have you praised and blessed him with the adoring
      crowds? Or are you still wondering who he really
      is?

      Lord Jesus Christ, Son of David, Child of God,
      Hosanna! Blessed are you!

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com