Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 19, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 19, 2007

      What must I do?

      "And behold, one came up to him, saying, 'Teacher,
      what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?'"
      Matthew 19:16

      A wealthy person wants to know from Jesus what he
      has to do to get eternal life. The Teacher answered
      his question with a question, and the two have a
      profound conversation. It does not matter if we
      are rich or poor, old or young, male or female,
      lesbian or gay or heterosexual. It is a question
      we all have. What do we have to do to get eternal
      life? How can we live forever?

      Jesus and the wealthy man engage in respectful
      conversation. You have to obey the commandments,
      replied Jesus. Which ones, asks the Jewish seeker.
      Jesus cites only six of the Ten Commandments. Oh,
      the Jewish man exclaimed in relief. I have done
      all those. What do I lack?

      We are told that the rich man's face became very
      sad when he heard the Teacher's answer. Jesus
      bluntly told him to give all his possessions to
      the poor. He would then have treasure in heaven.
      This nameless, wealthy man then received a personal
      invitation by Jesus to come and follow him. The
      young man had great wealth and left saddened. All
      his money could not buy, barter, or bribe God into
      giving him eternal life.

      Does this story mean we each must give away all our
      possessions before following Jesus in discipleship?
      Of course not! But perhaps there are possessions,
      wealth, or relationships that we worship and honor
      more than God in our lives. What might they be?
      Are they hindering our life with Jesus? What must
      we do for eternal life? Salvation is free.
      Discipleship is a lifetime of following Jesus.
      This includes how we use our money.

      Richard Foster wrote, "Our study of money leads us
      to one inescapable conclusion: we who follow Jesus
      Christ are called to a vow of simplicity. This
      vow is not for the dedicated few but for all. It
      is not an option to take or leave depending on our
      personal preference. All who name Christ as Lord
      and Savior are obliged to follow what he says, and
      Jesus' call to discipleship in money can best be
      summed up in the single word simplicity. Simplicity
      seeks to do justice to our Lord's many-faced teachings
      about money light and dark, giving and receiving,
      trust, contentment, and faith. Simplicity means
      unity of heart and singleness of purpose. We have
      only one desire; to obey Christ in all things . . .
      we have only one use for money: to advance his kingdom
      upon the earth" (Richard J. Foster. "The Challenge
      of the Disciplined Life: Christian Reflections on
      Money, Sex, and Power," p. 71).

      God, where are we in this story today? What does
      this mean in our lives? Are we willing to follow
      Jesus? Teach us how to use our money for you. Help
      us give with generous hearts. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com