Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 22, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 22, 2007

      Grief

      "Now when Jesus heard this, he withdrew from there
      in a boat to a deserted place by himself. But when
      the crowds heard it, they followed him on foot from
      the towns."
      Matthew 14:13

      Jesus went to a private and solitary place to grieve
      the death of beloved John the Baptist. John had
      baptized Jesus at the beginning of his earthly
      ministry, referred his disciples to Jesus, and
      courageously called people to repentance. John
      clearly understood he was not worthy to untie even
      the thongs on Jesus' sandals. John was a great
      prophet. He was also a friend, cousin, and colleague.
      Jesus would miss him. We see a picture of good grief.
      Jesus withdrew to a private place to grieve before
      the crowds would surround him with their neediness
      and demands on his time.

      Jesus reveals his vulnerability in his mourning and
      offers us a healthy example of self-care. He did
      not pretend everything was fine. He sought some
      privacy. We need moments of privacy and solitude
      with our deep feelings. Sometimes we all need to
      get away for a time and sit with our emotions.

      The crowds, eager to see and hear Jesus, learn of
      his whereabouts and travel on foot from many towns
      to find him. How will Jesus respond to them in his
      raw grief?

      Help us find private places to pray for a few minutes
      today, God. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com