Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 1, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 1, 2007

      God�s hope for the world

      "When Jesus became aware of this, he departed.
      Many crowds followed him, and he cured all of
      them, and he ordered them not to make him known.
      This was to fulfill what had been spoken through
      the prophet Isaiah:
      'Here is my servant, whom I have chosen,
      my beloved, with whom my soul is well pleased.
      I will put my Spirit upon him,
      and he will proclaim justice to the Gentiles.
      He will not wrangle or cry aloud,
      nor will anyone hear his voice inthe streets.
      He will not break a bruised reed
      or quench a smouldering wick
      until he brings justice to victory.
      And in his name the Gentiles will hope.'"
      Matthew 12:15-21

      Today's readings include the words of the prophet
      named Isaiah, who had spoken about Jesus centuries
      earlier. Jesus is God's beloved servant and chosen
      messenger. God is enormously pleased with Jesus.
      Jesus has a mission of bringing justice to the
      nations. He is God's hope for the world. Nations
      will hope in his name. Jesus came for all people,
      from every culture, nation, ethnic background,
      sexual orientation, and religious tradition.

      After the miraculous healing in the synagogue of
      a man with a shriveled hand, the Pharisees met and
      began plotting to destroy Jesus. Their response
      is in sharp contrast to the compassion of Christ.

      As Jesus left for a safer area, the eager crowds
      followed him. Even while in danger, Jesus stopped
      and cured all of them. As he healed people, he
      ordered them to keep quiet about his whereabouts.
      Jesus was no fool. He wisely chose to leave harm's
      way, in order to minister for another day. It was
      not his time to die.

      There is something to be learned from his example.
      Sometimes confrontation is immediately needed.
      At other times, we would be wise to assess the
      risks and possible dangers of the situation at
      hand. Wisdom, prudence, and common sense may
      lead us to hope, and to perhaps wait for justice,
      one more complete than is possible for people to
      deliver.

      Consider an experiment with God. Ask for new ears
      to hear the words of hope and justice that Jesus
      offers us. Ask for new eyes to see the wonder of
      Christ and for a compassionate heart for those who
      suffer. Expect the Spirit of God to bless you.

      God, help us pray with new awareness of Jesus in
      our lives. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com