Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 24, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 24, 2007

      Doubt, faith, and encouragement

      "Now when Jesus had finished instructing his twelve
      disciples, he went on from there to teach and
      proclaim his message in their cities. When John
      heard in prison what the Messiah was doing, he
      sent word by his disciples and said to him, 'Are
      you the one who is to come, or are we to wait for
      another?' Jesus answered them, 'Go and tell John
      what you hear and see: the blind receive their
      sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed,
      the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor
      have good news brought to them. And blessed is
      anyone who takes no offence at me.'"
      Matthew 11:1-6

      We see today an honest picture of doubt by a real
      spiritual giant. John the Baptist was a great
      prophet and messenger of Jesus Christ. He was a
      man of great faith. Because of his prophetic
      messages, he was imprisoned. We find him
      languishing in prison. Even the strongest can
      experience doubt through isolation and loneliness.
      John has a very human response to his situation.
      He sends his loyal followers to find Jesus and
      ask a question that demonstrates his vulnerability
      and inner doubt. Is Jesus God's Sent One? Or
      should they wait for someone else?

      Jesus offers a sensitive and encouraging reply to
      their earnest questions. Rather than chastise
      John's doubt, he sends them back with a blessing
      for the imprisoned prophet. John is given freedom
      to doubt and ask very honest questions through his
      painful ordeal. We have much to learn from this
      story.

      God, give us the honesty of John the Baptist.
      Bless our doubts, increase our faith, and
      encourage us when we are languishing in
      isolation. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com