Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 6, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of May 6, 2007

      **********

      Please see our new Sterling Silver pendants at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/silver_jewelry.html

      Non-hypocritical prayer

      Jesus said, "And whenever you pray, do not be like
      the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in
      the synagogues and at the street corners, so that
      they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they
      have received their reward."
      Matthew 6:5

      As an ordained minister, public prayer is one of my
      occupational hazards. I publicly pray in a number
      of local churches, ecumenical and interfaith events.
      Jesus' message is for all who pray, not just
      professionals. It is easy to pray flowery speeches
      to impress and please our listeners with poetic prose
      that is disguised as prayers. It is easy to be more
      concerned with content and delivery than to honor
      prayers of the heart. It is easy to be in love with
      the sound of our own voice. I have been guilty of
      all of these failings.

      How do we publicly pray? Carefully. Humbly.
      Thoughtfully. Prayerfully. Wisely. Respectfully.
      My wise father insisted on brevity! Public prayer
      is both an art and a sacred responsibility.

      At times I write down my prayers in advance and at
      other times they pour out of me straight from my heart.
      I have studied public prayers from different religious
      traditions. There are times and places to pour out
      one's heart before God at great length. There are
      also public prayer times when this is inappropriate
      and we must be aware of the occasion and others' time.
      Flowery speeches disguised as prayers can actually
      hinder the prayers of other listeners.

      God, teach me how to pray sincerely. Help me pray
      non-hypocritical prayers. Amen.

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com