Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 22, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 22, 2007

      **********

      Please see our new Sterling Silver pendants at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/silver_jewelry.html

      Blessed are the merciful

      "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain
      mercy."
      Matthew 5:7

      Jesus taught a great deal about mercy (Matthew
      9:13, 27; 12:7; 15:22; 17:15; 18:21-35; 20:30,
      31). God is known as being "rich in mercy"
      (Ephesians 2:4). Jesus was a real person, a
      famous teacher who taught people to be merciful
      towards each other.

      Righteousness and mercy go hand-in-hand. We need
      them both. Perhaps being merciful is the key to
      avoiding a "holier than thou" reputation as a
      religious hypocrite.

      Just what is mercy, and what does it mean to be
      merciful? Mercy is compassion, kindness. In my
      kitchen hangs a saying, "Kindness, a language the
      blind can see and the deaf can hear." In being
      merciful we sympathize with someone else's feeling
      miserable. Our sympathy leads to involvement.
      Jesus was often moved to compassion and action.

      The opposite of mercy is vengeance and punishment.
      A television evening news program caught my
      attention the other day with a report about a
      remarkable event somewhere in the Middle East.
      A young man had murdered, and the authorities
      had caught him. According to Islamic law, he
      was sentenced to die by hanging in a public
      event. The murderer wept like a baby as the
      noose was hung around his neck. Thousands in
      the crowd began to cry out for mercy. The
      victim's father had the power of life or death.
      It was his decision. He hesitated and with emotion
      gave life to his son's murderer. The crowd erupted
      into ecstatic cries of "praise be to Allah the
      merciful."

      Mercy had occurred at significant emotional cost.
      We can only be merciful with the help of God who
      is rich in mercy.

      God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com