Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 1, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 1, 2007

      Reading a Gospel for the first time

      "Since many have undertaken to set down an orderly
      account of the events that have been fulfilled among
      us, just as they were handed on to us by those who
      from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of
      the word, I too decided, after investigating everything
      carefully from the very first, to write an orderly
      account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that
      you may know the truth concerning the things about
      which you have been instructed."
      Luke 1:1-4

      One of the questions most frequently asked of me is,
      "Just what is a Gospel?" Millions of people throughout
      world history have asked that important question.
      Gospels are the Jesus stories that have brought hope
      to people throughout the centuries. Each Gospel lesson
      teaches spiritual empowerment. One does not have to be
      a Christian to read them or live by these life-
      nourishing principles.

      The Gospel writers are Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
      None attended formal seminary, yet each individual
      writer brings his unique perspective and understanding
      of the amazing spiritual leader named Jesus Christ.
      Quite frankly, Jesus turned their earthly world upside
      down and they had to share these adventures with God.
      So they wrote about his birth, life, ministry, death,
      and amazing return from the dead. These stories have
      transformed lives in every culture, language, and
      country over the past two millennia. People have
      joyously gone to their deaths as martyrs of the
      Jesus faith rather than betray or deny this amazing
      teacher, healer, preacher, friend, beloved companion,
      and prophet.

      All the Gospels are good reading. Matthew writes
      from an orthodox Jewish perspective and includes
      many of the major teachings of Jesus. Mark's Gospel
      is shorter and written for people without a Jewish
      background. Luke is a non-Jewish physician who
      carefully researched the Jesus stories for a two-part
      series. The Gospel of Luke is written to describe
      Jesus as the Great Physician while the book of Acts,
      also attributed to Luke, is an adventure account of
      the early church. John's Gospel is written from the
      heart about beloved Jesus.

      The Greek meaning of the word gospel means "good
      news." Gospels are written accounts by four writers
      who shared what they knew about Jesus' teaching,
      about the Jesus way of life. The Gospels are a
      carefully gathered selection of stories and teachings
      by people, called disciples, who followed Jesus.
      Disciples are spiritual apprentices who study the
      teachings and life of their spiritual leader. They
      share these teachings and lifestyles with others.
      Christian discipleship begins with two simple words
      uttered by Jesus, "Follow me."

      God, help us be spiritual apprentices as we begin
      our reading adventure with you! Begin a spiritual
      revolution in our lives today. Show us what it means
      to follow Jesus. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com