Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VIII, No. 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2007

      Vol. VIII, No. 3

      1. May We Suggest Stained Glass?
      2. 2007 Liturgical Calendar
      3. Step Number 11: "Learn to Share Your Faith"
      4. Pastors, Please Help Us Out!
      5. Please Become a Guardian Angel

      1. May We Suggest Stained Glass

      We have on our Web site eight photos of stained glass
      windows made by resident stained glass craftsperson,
      Adam DeBaugh. Adam specializes in windows and also
      created the small pieces that Chi Rho Press sells.

      The stained glass pieces Chi Rho Press sells are the basic
      cross ($12.00), the gay/lesbian rainbow flag ($18.00), the
      red stained glass AIDS ribbon ($7.50), the rainbow cross
      ($18.00), and the rainbow star of David ($18.00). See
      them at http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html.

      Adam will create windows on commission. Glass is expensive
      and commissions generally are $75 a square foot. It takes
      up to 100 hours to make a two by three foot window, from
      design to framing. He uses the copper foil and solder
      method of stained glass. Each piece is cut to fit, then
      the edges are wrapped with copper foil to have something
      for the solder to adhere to, then the pieces are soldered
      together to make the window. Finally, the whole piece is
      outlined in zinc came and framed.

      Contact him at Adam@... for further information
      and to discuss commissions.

      The pictures of the windows on the Web site are at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass_custom.html.
      They include four windows commissioned for Holy Redeemer
      Metropolitan Community Church in College Park, Maryland.
      They are the Communion Window, the Holy Spirit Window, the
      Noah's Ark Window, and the Easter Lily Window. In addition
      are other windows made as gifts or hanging in Adam's home:
      Irises, Tulips in a Blue Vase (made for a wedding gift), a
      Hummingbird and Wisteria, and a Rocking Horse made on the
      birth of Adam's first nephew, Douglas.

      Please visit the Chi Rho Press Web site and take a look at
      the stained glass windows and buy some of the smaller pieces
      that are readily available.

      2. 2007 Liturgical Calendar

      The new liturgical year has begun. There is still time
      to purchase your copy of the new Liturgical Calendar and
      Lectionary, Year C, December 2006 through November 2007,
      compiled by Raye-Anne Dorn and the Rev. Clay Witt.
      $11.95 each, six or more copies, $9.50 each, plus
      shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa06_07.html

      The Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound so it can lie
      flat for easy use, in the popular 8 ½" x 11" format.

      The 2006-2007 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful
      aid for anyone involved in planning worship, as well
      as a useful resource for all who want to know more
      about the Church year and the rich liturgical life
      of the Church Universal.

      You may now order the 2006-2007 Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary on the Chi Rho Press Web site at this
      link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa06_07.html

      The Liturgical Calendar is $11.95 each, six or more
      copies are $9.50 each, plus shipping and handling.

      3. Step Number 11: "Learn to Share Your Faith"

      Over the past few issues of the Chi Rho Connection,
      we have been highlighting the steps from the book,
      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," by the Rev.
      Dr. Rembert Truluck. Each step has four lessons
      with it, and the book provides a huge wealth of
      information and assistance for people dealing with
      others who use the Bible as a weapon to cut down
      and destroy and hate, rather than as a source of
      comfort and joy.

      Step Number 11 in the "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," by the Rev. Dr. Rembert Truluck, is to
      "Learn to Share Your Faith."

      Here is the introductory material from chapter 16 of
      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," in which Dr.
      Truluck outlines the eleventh step needed to recover
      from Bible abuse.

      Learn to Share Your Faith

      Did someone help you to become a Christian? Have you
      ever helped anyone become a Christian? Have you shared
      with anyone else your experience of coming out as gay?
      These questions are important as you consider the
      Eleventh Step in recovery from Bible and religious
      abuse. Telling your good news can be fun. It is
      also a great challenge. These four lessons will help
      you think through and become better equipped to share
      your faith with other people. Write out your own
      experience with God and share it.

      "Always be prepared to explain to anyone who asks
      you a reason for the hope that is in you, yet with
      gentleness and respect" 1 Peter 3:15. This verse was
      on the cover of my earlier book on personal evangelism
      in our community, Invitation to Freedom (Chi Rho Press,
      1993, now out of print). Much of the material in
      Invitation to Freedom is also in this book.

      "Jesus said, 'Follow me, and I will make you fishers
      for people'" (Matthew 4:19). Later, Jesus repeated
      his need for helpers, "Seeing the crowds, Jesus felt
      compassion for them, because they were distressed and
      downcast like sheep without a shepherd, and Jesus said
      to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful but the
      workers are few, ask God to send out workers into God's
      harvest'" (Matthew 9:35-38).

      Read John 15:1-27 and John 17:18-23 as preparation for
      studying these lessons on finding and carrying out your
      mission of representing Jesus in your life and through
      your words.

      *****

      Buy the complete book, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," on the Chi Rho Press Web site, at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html

      Please put the following in your bulletin, church
      newsletter, Web site, or where ever you communicate
      with your parishioners and members.

      Chi Rho Press is YOUR LGBT Christian publishing
      house, as a part of MCC for over 16 years. For
      those who are not subscribers to the Chi Rho
      Connection/Reflection, please subscribe! Just
      send blank e-mail to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

      You will receive a Reflection every week usually
      late Saturday night or Sunday, and the Chi Rho
      Connection, our electronic newsletter which is
      published once or twice a month. That's it,
      usually no more than six e-mails a month.

      You can also read the weekly Reflection on our blog
      each week at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com

      Thanks so much!

      5. Please Become A Guardian Angel

      Chi Rho Press has an active Guardian Angels program
      and we would love for you to become a member. We are
      looking for individuals, couples, or families who
      will become sponsors of the Press and more involved
      as partners in this ministry.

      Our vision of ecumenical, grass roots ministry really
      takes hold with the implementation of the Guardian Angel
      Individual Sponsor Program. Won't you become a part of
      this ministry? We are inviting you to become a Guardian
      Angel of Chi Rho Press today!

      Guardian Angels will

      1. Receive a welcome gift of your choice of one of the
      products on our Web site as a thank you for your support.

      2. Be listed as a Guardian Angel Sponsor in Chi Rho Press
      publications, press releases, eNewsletters, and on the Web
      page, with your permission.

      3. Receive an annual report prepared just for Sponsors.

      4. Be informed first about advance sales of publications
      from Chi Rho Press.

      5. And of course, you will remain in our prayers!

      And what do we ask from our Guardian Angels in return?
      Only three things,

      1. Please keep the ministry of Chi Rho Press in your
      prayers.

      2. A gift of at least $150 a year to Chi Rho Press from
      individuals, couples, or families.

      3. Keep your friends, family, co-workers, and churches
      informed about the resources available from Chi Rho Press,
      our Web site, and our eNewsletter, this Chi Rho Connection
      and the weekly Chi Rho Reflection.

      That's it. For just $150 a year, you can become a
      Guardian Angel Sponsor of this growing publishing house,
      serving the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and
      seeking community of faith. Chi Rho Press is reaching
      people with resources that are not available anywhere
      else, resources that are made especially for our LGBT
      community.

      "Even though we have managed to keep the costs of this
      special ministry very low, we need your support to grow
      and to expand our outreach. Won't you help?" asks former
      Board member and continuing supporter Steve Barchers.

      This program is now in place and we have welcomed our
      first Guardian Angels already. Please join us!

      Simply send your check for at least $150 to Chi Rho Press,
      ATTN: Guardian Angel Program, P.O. Box 7864, Gaithersburg,
      MD 20898. Or just go to our Web site at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html and click on the
      $150 contribution as a minimum to become a Guardian Angel.

      If you have specific questions about the Guardian Angel
      Program, you may e-mail us at Angels@..., or
      telephone us at 301/926-1208.

      Thank you for your support!

      Spring is lurking around the corner just about now in
      the Washington DC area, and not a moment too soon. As
      we move through Lent I hope you are using one or both
      of our books of Lenten reflections, "'You Need Only To
      Be Still:' Using the Hebrew Scriptures to Journey Through
      Lent," by Randy Jedele (http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevYouNeedOnlyToBeStill.htm) and, written from a Gay Roman Catholic
      point of view, "For Another Flock: Rainbow Meditations
      and Study Guide for Lent," by Jeffrey Lea (http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevForAnotherFlock.htm).
      Both are $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.

      *****

      Watch this space for news of some wonderful new things
      from Chi Rho Press. Here is a bit of a teaser!

      We are working on a new book by John McNeill, the well-
      known Gay Roman Catholic writer. The working title is
      Sex as God Intended it to Be!

      We are also waiting for our Web minister to finish putting
      up some new MCC pendants on the Web site. We will soon be
      selling Sterling Silver MCC crosses and MCC logos. We will
      let you know as soon as these are available!

      *****

      Chi Rho Press Blog! We have started a blog for Chi Rho
      Press! Please check out our new blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com

      *****

      We have a couple of needs, and perhaps some of our
      readers will be able to help.

      Our exemplary volunteer Web minister, the Rev. Clay
      Witt, is really and truly retiring and wants to lay
      down those duties by the end of the year. So we are
      looking for a new volunteer Web minister. If you have
      those skills and gifts and would like to take on this
      role, please contact me at Adam@....

      If you are in the Washington DC area, we also would
      benefit by a couple of volunteer office workers to
      help get things better organized here in my home
      office. Since I work a full-time secular job, I am
      looking for volunteers in the evening and on weekends.
      Write me at Adam@... if you are interested.

      *****

      Shipping and Handling Tip: When you are ordering
      from the Chi Rho Press Web site, be sure to tell us
      your preferred shipping method. The way the shopping
      cart is set up, the shipping method defaults to United
      Parcel Service. This is NOT the most economical way
      to ship for orders under seven pounds. If you want
      the most inexpensive shipping (within the United
      States) it is usually best to pick USPS (United
      States Postal Service Domestic Parcel Post) for
      packages weighing under seven pounds. UPS (United
      Parcel Service) Ground is more economical for packages
      heavier than seven pounds. The shopping cart will
      tell you how much your order weighs in the box right
      next to your order amount and price. There is a link
      there to change your shipping method as well.

      When I order one copy of the Liturgical Calendar and
      allow the default UPS Ground shipping method, the
      shipping cost is almost as much as the book, $10.11!
      But if I change the shipping method to USPS Parcel
      Post shipping is only $6.28, and it is $6.46 for USPS
      Priority Mail.

      Also do not forget that shipping from Chi Rho Press
      is FREE for orders over $100. Sometimes all you need
      do is add another book or two to get free shipping,
      saving even more money.

      Be smart shoppers and choose your shipping options
      carefully to avoid paying too much!

      *****

      I really encourage you all to become Guardian Angels
      of Chi Rho Press. This will help us a lot as we
      prepare our next books for publication. Just $150
      for a year will make you an important participant in
      this ministry.

      Thank you!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,