Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 11, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11 4:27 AM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of March 11, 2007

      When blessing is denied

      "Then Esau said, 'Have you not reserved a blessing
      for me?'"
      Genesis 27:36d

      The concept of blessing is ancient and found in
      many cultures. We can learn and appropriate the
      Jewish tradition of blessing for our own use in
      modern Western cultural contexts. If we get a
      blessing from our parents, we can be a source of
      blessing to others and ourselves. Families that
      withhold or deny blessings are very hurtful to
      their children.

      Blessing is well documented in the Middle East.
      In ancient Jewish culture, blessing was part of
      daily and weekly life. Before children could
      walk, they received blessings from their parents,
      on the Sabbath, and other holy days. It was
      actually the duty of parents to bless their
      children. It was then the duty of the rabbis
      to bless the children on Sabbath, feast, and
      other holy days. A family blessing is important
      to communicate a sense of identity, meaning,
      love, and acceptance. Many orthodox Jewish
      families give their children a weekly blessing
      by candlelight. They speak special words of
      love and acceptance for each child.

      I have listened to many people over the years
      when their families reject them. I wonder if
      parents truly understand the pain caused when
      a blessing is denied their children. People
      are denied parental blessing for many reasons.
      Perhaps a desperate woman had an abortion, or
      another has taken drugs. Many parents from
      abusive homes never received a blessing
      themselves and pass on their destructive
      behaviors to the next generation. Denied
      blessing can lead to desperate and destructive
      behaviors as people look for love in all the
      wrong places.

      The six most healing words in the world are "God
      bless you" and "I love you." When was the last
      time we spoke those words to someone in our family?
      When was the last time we shared these words with
      friends? Have we denied someone their blessing
      through our words or actions?

      God, even if others may have denied me a blessing,
      help me bless them. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our new blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com