Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 25, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 25, 2007

      Spiritual success

      "In the morning, while it was still very dark,
      Jesus got up and went out to a deserted place,
      and there he prayed."
      Mark 1:35

      "Without silence, there is no solitude."
      - Richard Foster

      Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a famous Lutheran pastor
      who lived in Nazi Germany during World War Two.
      He actively worked with the underground resistance
      in an effort to remove Hitler from power. He
      passionately believed we need both solitude and
      community for spiritual success. Both are essential.

      There is an inseparable connection between inner
      silence and inner solitude. Masters of the interior
      life have often written of this profound truth. The
      purpose of silence and solitude is to be able to see
      and hear. They are powerful inner disciplines and
      help us know when to speak and when to refrain from
      words. There "is a time to keep silence and a time
      to speak" (Ecclesiastes 3:7). "A word fitly spoken
      is like apples of gold in a setting of silver"
      (Proverbs 25:11).

      God, give us spiritual success through silence and
      wise speech, solitude, and community. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our new blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com