Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VIII, No. 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2007

      Vol. VIII, No. 2

      1. Pastors, Please Help up Out!
      2. 2007 Liturgical Calendar
      3. Step Number 10: "Develop Your Support
      System"
      4. New Chi Rho Press Blog
      5. May We Suggest Two Lenten Studies?

      Please put the following in your bulletin, church
      newsletter, Web site, or where ever you communicate
      with your parishioners and members.

      Chi Rho Press is YOUR LGBT Christian publishing
      house, as a part of MCC for over 16 years. For
      those who are not subscribers to the Chi Rho
      Connection/Reflection, please subscribe! Just
      send blank e-mail to ChiRhoPress-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

      You will receive a Reflection every week usually
      late Saturday night or Sunday, and the Chi Rho
      Connection, our twice monthly newsletter. That's
      it, usually six e-mails a month. Some times fewer!

      You can also read the weekly Reflection on our blog
      each week at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com

      Thanks so much!

      2. 2007 Liturgical Calendar

      The new liturgical year has begun. There is still time
      to purchase your copy of the new Liturgical Calendar and
      Lectionary, Year C, December 2006 through November 2007,
      compiled by Raye-Anne Dorn and the Rev. Clay Witt.
      $11.95 each, six or more copies, $9.50 each, plus
      shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa06_07.html

      The Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound so it can lie
      flat for easy use, in the popular 8 ½" x 11" format.

      The 2006-2007 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful
      aid for anyone involved in planning worship, as well
      as a useful resource for all who want to know more
      about the Church year and the rich liturgical life
      of the Church Universal.

      You may now order the 2006-2007 Liturgical Calendar
      and Lectionary on the Chi Rho Press Web site at this
      link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa06_07.html

      The Liturgical Calendar is $11.95 each, six or more
      copies are $9.50 each, plus shipping and handling.

      3. Step Number 10 "Develop Your Support System"

      Over the past few issues of the Chi Rho Connection,
      we have been highlighting the steps from the book,
      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," by the Rev.
      Dr. Rembert Truluck. Each step has four lessons
      with it, and the book provides a huge wealth of
      information and assistance for people dealing with
      others who use the Bible as a weapon to cut down
      and destroy and hate, rather than as a source of
      comfort and joy.

      Step Number 10 in the "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," by the Rev. Dr. Rembert Truluck, is to
      "Develop Your Support System."

      Here is the introductory material from chapter 15 of
      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," in which Dr.
      Truluck outlines the tenth step needed to recover
      from Bible abuse.

      Develop Your Support System

      Find accepting and affirming people who can encourage
      you and share in your spiritual life and recovery.
      Others also need your support. Start your own
      Spiritual Recovery Group.

      "We who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of
      those without strength and not just please ourselves.
      . . . Therefore accept one another just as Christ
      also accepted you to the glory of God."
      Romans 15:1, 7

      All recovery programs include a time and place for
      people in recovery to meet and share with others
      who are dealing with the same issues and problems.
      You need and can help others who are facing and
      dealing with recovery from abusive and oppressive
      religion. You can learn from the experiences of
      others and they can learn from you.

      Finding an appropriate and supportive group can be
      difficult. Churches usually are indifferent or even
      hostile to gay and lesbian people who are dealing
      with how the church has hurt them. Some churches,
      such as the Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC)
      and a growing number of traditional churches, are
      reaching out in love and acceptance of gay people
      without judgment or condemnation.

      You can start your own group. You do not have to
      have a large group of people to begin. Two people
      can develop a time and place for dialogue and sharing
      that will be encouraging and supportive to them. Do
      not be discouraged if you never move beyond two or
      three people in your group. Keep it simple.

      Jesus met with his group of close friends outdoors,
      in homes, and in a variety of places. Meeting in a
      home or in a public place like a coffee shop or at
      local gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered
      centers are some of the various settings for many
      kinds of recovery programs. As in all recovery
      programs, the purpose of a group is not to preach
      or promote any organization but to be open, accepting,
      and nonjudgmental. Creating an atmosphere of mutual
      respect and acceptance encourages growth, self-esteem,
      and healthy, healing dialogue.

      Buy the complete book, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," on the Chi Rho Press Web site, at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html

      4. New Chi Rho Press Blog

      Thanks to our Virtual Personal Assistant, Ronald,
      Chi Rho Press now has a Blog, at
      http://chirhopress.blogspot.com

      Our goal is to be adding things periodically like
      personal thoughts and new articles, the weekly Chi
      Rho Reflection; a link to this lengthier, twice
      monthly newsletter, the Chi Rho Connection;
      announcements of new publications; book reviews;
      and all kinds of stuff.

      Yesterday, we posted a Blog called Potentially
      Hazardous. The response has been excellent.

      One reader wrote, "Adam! Congratulations! Great
      look! Excellent material, but that's no surprise,
      just remember who's the author/'compositor'! PLUS,
      ultra-accessible, some of these joints I can never
      find my way around, even if they offer a site-map
      (which some of 'em have to!)"

      "The rest could learn a lesson or two about blogs
      and blogging from your example, Adam, and about
      GLBT folk and our concerns, of course!"

      Another loyal reader wrote, "Your new Chi Rho blog
      site is a lovely design and I enjoy reading it very
      much."

      Other comments are being added to the article too!
      Thanks for the grand response!

      At some point I will start posting my "Tales from
      a Micro-Press," about the process of how Chi Rho
      Press runs and functions.

      I invite your comments and please post to the Blog.
      Let us know what you think!

      http://chirhopress.blogspot.com

      5. May We Suggest Two Lenten Studies?

      Lent begins on Wednesday, February 21, just a few
      days away, and Chi Rho Press is very proud of our
      two books of Lenten devotions. Here is a description
      of each one.

      "'You Need Only To Be Still:' Using the Hebrew Scriptures
      to Journey Through Lent," by Randy Jedele. Spiral bound,
      5½" x 8½", 100 pages. A book of daily devotions for Lent,
      in which author Randy Jedele takes us on a journey through
      the Old Testament. A lay Christian Education minister in
      the United Church of Christ in Iowa, Randy Jedele has drawn
      on his strong Protestant and Congregationalist background
      to enliven the Hebrew Testament for us in new ways in these
      Lenten devotions. View it on our Web site at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevYouNeedOnlyToBeStill.htm

      In "You Need Only to be Still," each of the 40 days of
      Lent, starting with Ash Wednesday, features a Hebrew
      Testament passage, followed by two questions for your
      consideration to bring the passage into our own lives.
      Then Randy provides his own "Thoughts for Meditating,"
      a few paragraphs reflecting on the ancient Bible story
      in which he offers some background information where it
      is needed and his own thoughts on the two questions.
      On the right hand page for each day in Lent there is
      space for the reader to write his or her own "Personal
      Reflections," an opportunity for the reader to respond
      and record thoughts and feelings. Each day concludes
      with a prayer, a personal moment between the reader
      and God. For each Friday, Randy has chosen a passage
      from the Psalms.

      The six Sundays of Lent in "You Need Only to be Still"
      have a very different format with two blank pages for
      each Sunday, one for "Reflections from the Past Week"
      and one for "Opportunities to Seek in the New Week."
      Randy writes, "I have chosen the Sunday format for a
      couple of reasons. First of all, I have chosen not
      to have a Scripture passage for Sundays because I did
      not want to interfere with the scripture passages used
      in the regular lectionary for the day. Secondly, it is my
      practice to do just as I have suggested on Sundays. I
      spend my devotional time on Sundays to reflect on the
      events of my past week and contemplate on opportunities
      that may lie before me in the new week. I think it is
      important for us to remind ourselves of the lessons we
      have learned, the joys we have known, and the pains that
      have pierced our hearts. It is also good for us to make
      plans for the days that come before us. Reflecting is truly
      a time of quiet meditation and being still before God."

      The title, "You Need Only to be Still," comes from
      Exodus 14:13-14, "Moses answered the people, 'Do not
      be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance
      the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see
      today you will never see again. The Lord will fight
      for you; you need only to be still.'" Randy Jedele
      writes, in the Introduction, "Too often we Christians
      ignore the Hebrew Scriptures and build our relationships
      with God on the New Testament. However, as I have
      journeyed through the Hebrew Scriptures through the
      years, I have always marked passages that spoke to me.
      It has not surprised me to discover a wealth of
      spiritual wisdom throughout the Hebrew Scriptures.
      It is my hope and prayer that those who use this
      devotional as they journey through Lent will also
      discover the richness of the God of the Hebrew
      Scriptures. Truly, there is much to be learned as
      we discover the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,
      the God of Hannah, Ruth, and Esther, a God who was
      a powerful source in the lives of those who learned
      to seek the presence of the living God and to live
      in the stillness of God's grace."

      "Over and over, God calls us to be still, so that God
      can minister to our hearts and prepare us to journey
      each day as a new day. . . . I have envisioned that
      [this devotional] will mostly be a personally journey,
      a quiet time each day when the readers will, on their
      own, seek the stillness of God. . . . As you read,
      meditate, and pray through this devotional, may God
      bless and enrich your life. It is my prayer that
      each of you will find God in the stillness of your
      busy lives and that God will provide you with wisdom,
      fill you with peace, and shower you with love."

      We know you will be blessed by this book of devotions
      for Lent. You may order it on our Web site at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevYouNeedOnlyToBeSt
      ill.htm
      $10.95 each, six or more copies for $8.95 each, plus
      shipping and handling.

      *****

      Our other book of Lenten Meditations was "For
      Another Flock," written from a Gay Roman
      Catholic point of view. "For Another Flock: Rainbow
      Meditations and Study Guide for Lent," by Jeffrey Lea.
      ($10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.) View it on our Web site at:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevForAnotherFlock.h
      tm

      Written out of the deep faith and learning of a
      gay practicing Roman Catholic and from a Catholic
      perspective, "For Another Flock" includes daily
      meditations for all the days of Lent and Holy Week,
      beginning with Ash Wednesday (which this year is Feb.
      9), and ending with Easter Sunday. Scripture readings
      are provided for every day in Lent and Holy Week followed
      by a reflection from a uniquely gay and Catholic point of
      view and a prayer.

      Following the daily meditations is a seven-week Lenten
      Bible Study Guide. Jeff Lea's introduction explores Lent
      as a penitential season, discussing penance and repentance.
      Each weekly Bible Study starts with a Gospel reading.
      There is a Lenten theme for each of the seven sessions.
      Week One is "An Ash Wednesday Ritual and Discussion of
      the Nature of Penance." Week Two is "The Nature of
      Temptation." Week Three is "The Meaning of Sin in our
      Lives." Week Four is "Faithfulness and Homosexuality."
      Week Five is "The Joy of Being Gay." Week Six is "The
      Meaning of Judgement." And the concluding session is
      "The Last Supper and the Mandatum" (New Commandment).

      Seven Appendices conclude the book: Solemnities and
      Feasts in Lent, Lectionary Cycle Calendar, The Books
      of the Old Testament of the Various Biblical Traditions,
      Small Group Study Guidelines, an Ash Wednesday Liturgy,
      a Maundy Thursday Liturgy, and a Bibliography.

      Jeff Lea writes, "Far too many gay women and men continue
      to view the primary Christian scripture, the Holy Bible,
      as a document hostile to people whose expression of
      intimate love is homosexual. Nothing can be further
      from the truth. While the Bible does condemn the
      ritualistic abuse of human sexuality it does not ever
      express a view of same-sex love as an abomination. In
      fact it affirms it in the love story of Jonathan and
      David.

      "The Bible's primary message is Love. To love God,
      ourselves, and each other as God has loved us. The
      Bible is not a handbook on how to hate sin. It is a
      transcript of the ongoing love story between God and
      the people of God.

      "Lent is the primary renewing and penitential season
      of the Church year. It is the time of personal
      examination and purification before we enter into the
      Paschal mystery on Easter Sunday. We are at the door
      to salvation during this time. Gay people are also at
      that door and we too have an experience of conversion
      and faith. These meditations present the point of view
      of a gay male Christian exploring the liminal experience
      of coming out gay, coming out Christian, and discovering
      affirmation in the Bible. The book provides both a
      daily meditation on the scriptural readings for Lent,
      and a seven-week group study that explores penance from
      a positive gay perspective."

      "For Another Flock: Rainbow Meditations and Study Guide
      for Lent" is spiral bound, 5 ½" x 8 ½", 104 pages, and
      sells for $10.95 each, $8.95 each for six or more copies,
      plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevForAnotherFlock.h
      tm

      New Blog! We have started a blog for Chi Rho Press!
      Please check out our new blog at
      http://chirhopress.blogspot.com

      *****

      We have a couple of needs, and perhaps some of our
      readers will be able to help.

      Our exemplary volunteer Web minister, the Rev. Clay
      Witt, is really and truly retiring and wants to lay
      down those duties by the end of the year. So we are
      looking for a new volunteer Web minister. If you have
      those skills and gifts and would like to take on this
      role, please contact me at Adam@....

      If you are in the Washington DC area, we also would
      benefit by a couple of volunteer office workers to
      help get things better organized here in my home
      office. Since I work a full-time secular job, I am
      looking for volunteers in the evening and on weekends.
      Write me at Adam@... if you are interested.

      *****

      Shipping and Handling Tip: When you are ordering
      from the Chi Rho Press Web site, be sure to tell us
      your preferred shipping method. The way the shopping
      cart is set up, the shipping method defaults to United
      Parcel Service. This is NOT the most economical way
      to ship for orders under seven pounds. If you want
      the most inexpensive shipping (within the United
      States) it is usually best to pick USPS (United
      States Postal Service Domestic Parcel Post) for
      packages weighing under seven pounds. UPS (United
      Parcel Service) Ground is more economical for packages
      heavier than seven pounds. The shopping cart will
      tell you how much your order weighs in the box right
      next to your order amount and price. There is a link
      there to change your shipping method as well.

      When I order one copy of the Liturgical Calendar and
      allow the default UPS Ground shipping method, the
      shipping cost is almost as much as the book, $10.11!
      But if I change the shipping method to USPS Parcel
      Post shipping is only $6.28, and it is $6.46 for USPS
      Priority Mail.

      Also do not forget that shipping from Chi Rho Press
      is FREE for orders over $100. Sometimes all you need
      do is add another book or two to get free shipping,
      saving even more money.

      Be smart shoppers and choose your shipping options
      carefully to avoid paying too much!

      *****

      I really encourage you all to become Guardian Angels
      of Chi Rho Press. This will help us a lot as we
      prepare our next books for publication. Just $150
      for a year will make you an important participant in
      this ministry.

      Thank you!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,