Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 4, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of February 4, 2007

      The Lord's Prayer and lectio divina

      Jesus taught, "Pray then in this way: Our Father
      in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom
      come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in
      heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And
      forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven
      our debtors. And do not bring us to the time
      of trial, but rescue us from the evil one."
      Matthew 6:9-13

      "Do not pray by heart, but with the heart."
      -- Anonymous

      Jonathan Edwards, the Puritan theologian said,
      "Many pray with their lips for that for which
      their hearts have no desire." The Lord's
      Prayer is often prayed this way by many.
      When our hearts are not in our prayers, they
      lack spiritual power. One ancient way to
      experience spiritual empowerment is to reclaim
      sacred words that have become common. Many of
      us have memorized this prayer and can probably
      recite it by heart in sixty seconds. We can
      recite it without appreciating its full meaning.

      Every element of worship is found here. We
      are also given six simple prayer requests to
      change the world the way God wishes it to be.
      We experience worship, intercession, thanksgiving,
      and penitence. The Lord's Prayer is a spiritual
      heritage worthy of reclaiming for the new century.
      It will last throughout eternity.

      During the Middle Ages, monks used to practice a
      spiritual discipline called lectio divina (Hall,
      Thelma. "Too Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio
      Divina with 500 Scripture Texts for Prayer," p. 7.).
      It is one form of holy reading. They would read a
      passage of scripture slowly to savor the nourishing
      words. Then they would reread it with pauses of
      silence between readings. Sometimes a word or
      phrase would glimmer and catch a reader's attention.
      The reader would nurture that word throughout the
      day in the reader's heart and let it linger in
      the soul.

      Thoughtfully linger over these beautiful words
      from the Lord's Prayer. Reclaim your spiritual
      heritage with every sentence or perhaps just one
      sentence at a time.

      God, teach us to pray from our hearts. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our new blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com