Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 28, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 28, 2007

      Praise

      "I will praise the Lord as long as I live; I will
      sing praises to my God all my life long."
      Psalm 146:2

      My spiritual director once asked what my spiritual
      resolutions were for the new year. I piously
      pondered and responded, "Years ago I used to read
      ten chapters of scripture a day. I haven't done
      that for years. I'd like to resume that spiritual
      discipline." Her eyes twinkled as she laughed.
      "Ten chapters of scripture a day?" She gasped
      with glee. "You need to sit with ten words of
      scripture a day. Try praying a few words or
      phrases. Hold them in your heart and enjoy God."

      How on earth can any of us truly enjoy God? Praise
      through singing is one good place to begin. When
      I baptized a little boy several years ago, I
      invited both his family and the church to teach
      this young child to sing before he got old enough
      to be self-conscious and worried about what other
      people think. Then we sang the beautiful hymn,
      "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells
      me so. Little ones to him belong. They are weak
      but he is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus
      loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. The Bible tells me
      so." (Osbeck, Kenneth W. "Amazing Grace: 366
      Inspiring Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions," p. 73.
      The author quotes Anna Warner's hymn, "Jesus Loves
      Me," written in 1860.)

      The apostle Paul reminded the first century Colossian
      church, "with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms,
      hymns, and spiritual songs to God" (Colossians 3:16c).
      Singing praises helps us pray more fully. I have
      often heard it said that those who sing pray twice.

      Any songs coming from our hearts are music to God's
      ears. Many enjoy singing scripture as a wonderful
      way to pray. So sing! Make up your own melodies.
      Sing in the shower. Sing in your car. Sing while
      cleaning bathrooms. Sing praises to God with gusto.
      God loves our joyful sounds. Sing for the rest of
      your precious lives. Enjoy God.

      God, let psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs make
      beautiful music in my heart. Bless each reader
      with many songs of joy, gratitude, love, and peace.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our new blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com