Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 21, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 21, 2007

      Leisure

      "The apostles gathered around Jesus, and told him all
      that they had done and taught. He said to them, 'Come
      away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a
      while.' For many were coming and going, and they had
      no leisure even to eat. And they went away in the boat
      to a deserted place by themselves."
      Mark 6:3032

      Today's verses are the only place in the entire Bible
      where we find the word "leisure." It is a story some
      of us might not be familiar with, yet all busy people
      can relate to it. Crowds of people are coming and
      going. They are eager to experience and hear a famed
      speaker. They need healing and want to see miracles.
      They are hoping to get something they need, even if
      they cannot put their needs into words.

      The apostles are deeply involved with the demands from
      the noisy and needy crowds. The apostles were people
      deeply committed to Jesus and his message of faith,
      love, and hope. They are more frequently called
      "disciples" in other Bible stories. They "followed"
      Jesus and hungrily sought his teachings. In this
      story, Jesus sees his apostles are exhausted and
      hungry. They had no leisure to even eat. So he
      takes them away to a deserted place to rest a short
      while.

      Welcome to a moment of leisure. Webster's dictionary
      defines leisure as having freedom from responsibilities
      and duties. How often are we too busy with duties and
      responsibilities that we cannot pause to eat? Do we
      need to come and rest awhile in a quiet place? Let us
      take time to slow down today. In North America, we
      live in a culture of fast foods and drive-ins. Many
      of us eat on the run, in the car, and while continuing
      our work and play.

      Where are you in this story?

      God, bring us a few leisure moments today. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      Please visit our blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com