Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 14, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 14, 2007

      Spiritual empowerment and our human bodies

      "Do you not know that you are God�s temple and that
      God�s Spirit dwells in you?"
      1 Corinthians 3:16a

      How we relate to our bodies profoundly influences
      our spirituality, our inner wellness. Our bodies
      affect how we live and how we relate to one another.
      Spiritual empowerment involves living with our bodies
      one day at a time. We are embodied beings in need of
      sacred space. We have many emotions that are part of
      our body experience. For wholeness, our deep feelings
      need to be acknowledged, honored, and heard with loving
      discernment. When our feelings are too deep for words,
      they can help us pray. When we are teased, rejected,
      criticized, stressed, and exhausted, our bodies show
      symptoms and reflect a spiritual concern.

      As a minister in the United States, most people that I
      encounter, young and old, sick or well, rich or poor,
      gay or straight, male or female, single or married, do
      not love their bodies. This is a significant spiritual
      concern. Our bodies are a sacred trust, but negative
      self-images often lead to subtle and overt acts of
      self-hatred. Our bodies need loving care and attention.
      We need to cherish and nurture our bodies physically,
      mentally, emotionally, and spiritually in order to
      thrive and live up to our fullest human potential.
      Our bodies are God's gift to us. In sickness and in
      health, they help us pray. It is in God that we live
      and move and have our being. Our bodies require
      responsible stewardship for they are our portable
      chapels. Our bodies reflect a sacred trust. We are
      God's temples. God's Spirit lives in each of us. Try
      praying today about your body and your many feelings.

      Many people do not realize that learning to live
      peacefully with our imperfect bodies can help us grow
      in inner wellness and personal empowerment. Often our
      first memories and awareness involve our bodies with
      feelings of pleasure, shame, or other emotions. We
      were never meant to live as disembodied people. Our
      bodies can help us get grounded and centered.

      "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple
      and that God's Spirit lives in you?" (1 Corinthians
      3:16).

      God, help us love and nurture our bodies as precious
      gifts from you. Help us experience spiritual
      empowerment as embodied people. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our new blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com