Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 7, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2007
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of January 7, 2007

      Breath prayers

      "Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it
      with thanksgiving."
      Colossians 4:2

      Today I feel spiritually exhausted. I am weary of
      "doing prayer." Too many words feel like a grocery
      list to God. Why can I not simply be in holy
      presence without words? The ancients understood
      "God is closer than our breathing, nearer than our
      hands and feet" (Wuellner, Flora Slosson. "Prayer
      and Our Bodies," p. 36. Wuellner describes this as
      "beautiful words of an old prayer." She does not
      attribute the phrase to any particular person.)
      Perhaps answers are found in simple breath prayers
      of the heart. Sometimes all we can do is breathe.
      When life is chaotic, confusing, and painful,
      anything else is too difficult.

      I have heard it said that there is no such thing
      as a little prayer. Oh God, teach me to pray! I
      sometimes wonder if God hears and if prayers make
      a difference. I wonder how to pray, for often I
      feel so inadequate even though I own dozens of
      books about prayer. The Internet also offers
      many spirituality Web sites eager to tell me
      how to pray. Why must prayer be so confusing?
      How can it be simplified? I think the answer
      is through breath prayers.

      We must breathe everywhere we go. Breath prayers
      can travel with us everywhere, and help create an
      awareness of the inner chapel of our hearts.
      Through breathing, we can invite the Spirit to
      go deeper and help us in our prayers. By paying
      attention to our bodies through breathing, the
      healing breath of life from God can enter with
      each inhalation. Breath prayers help us hear
      our hearts beating with God.

      Meister Eckhart has been credited with saying,
      "If the only prayer we ever pray is thank you,
      that would be enough." Perhaps the secret of
      devoting ourselves to prayer with an attitude
      of thanksgiving is found through a breath
      meditation used by Thich Nhat Hanh when he is
      with little children. Wherever they go, he
      teaches them to breathe in the words, "Yes,
      yes, yes." And to breathe out, "Thanks, thanks,
      thanks" (Hanh, Thich Nhat. "The Long Road Turns
      to Joy: A Guide to Walking Meditations," p. 36.)
      He believes this prayer helps them respond to
      life, to society, and to the earth in a positive

      Yes, yes, yes. Thanks, thanks, thanks. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our new blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com