Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 31, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 31, 2006

      Let this child teach us on New Year's Eve

      "And Jesus went down with [his parents] and came to
      Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother
      kept all these things in her heart. And Jesus
      increased in wisdom and in stature, and in favor
      with God and people."
      Luke 2:51-52

      It is New Year's Eve. For many this is a time for
      celebrating the New Year. Some will party, others
      attend retreats, church prayer vigils, and worship
      services while many will chose to stay home and avoid
      the drunk drivers. I usually enjoy this particular
      evening at home with friends and loved ones. It is
      an enjoyable way to reflect on the old year and
      anticipate the new with good food and friends.

      This used to be a very painful evening for me. Many
      years ago, a very dear friend of mine was killed on
      New Year's Eve. He was my best friend and I had
      almost married him. His death was sudden and totally
      unexpected. He died doing what he loved when his
      parachute never opened. He crashed into the earth
      and never regained consciousness. I was paralyzed
      with grief, along with his many friends and family.
      As a result, I live in keen awareness of the frailty
      and preciousness of life. Each day is a gift. I
      frequently tell my beloved friends and family members
      that I love them. I often say, "God bless you." I
      try and live each day as if it might be my last,
      asking forgiveness when needed, making peace when
      possible and not letting the sun go down on my anger.
      Yes, I go dancing, clogging, at every opportunity.

      My beloved grandmother taught me to honor the memories
      of dear departed ones by thanking the good Lord for
      all the good memories while living one day at a time.
      I treasure cherished memories of my deceased friend,
      Bob. As long as we remember, we honor the lives,
      lived with love, and they still live on within our

      A bookmark of mine shows a little girl at life's
      crossroad. The road signs point in different
      directions. One sign points to "Your life." The
      other sign points to another path significantly
      named, "No longer an option." The old year is
      almost finished. This is a great time to reflect
      on your life and what is no longer an option. It
      is a wonderful opportunity to reflect inward, upward,
      and outward. What kind of year has it been for you?
      Do you have any treasured memories? What was good,
      bad, beautiful, and ugly? How have you grown? Where
      has God been present in your life? What are your
      resolutions, hopes, and dreams for the New Year?

      For next year, consider letting the teachings of Jesus
      help you in the days, weeks, and months ahead. Jesus
      grew from a remarkable child into the greatest
      spiritual teacher our world has ever known. His
      words are full of wisdom, helpful for walking with
      God and our neighbors, one step at a time when one
      day feels overwhelming. The Gospels offer many
      wonderful words of life. Never underestimate their
      power to help you and those you love. Jesus will
      always be God's show and tell. Through the Gospel
      stories, we experience God's loving heartbeat.

      Live as God's beloved people. Have a happy New Year.
      As we close the year, an old Gaelic blessing comes to
      mind, "And may the Lord hold you in the hollow of God's
      hand." God bless you.

      God, accept our gratitude for this past year. Bless
      us in the New Year. Help us be loved all our days.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank

      And visit our new blog at http://chirhopress.blogspot.com