Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 3, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of December 3, 2006

      Solved by Walking

      "But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their
      strength,
      they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
      they shall run and not be weary,
      they shall walk and not faint."
      Isaiah 40:31

      Walking is good for our souls. Many walk for love
      and wisdom. A local hospice program owns a large
      portable labyrinth and calls their ministry, "walking
      the trail of wisdom." By facilitating a number of my
      own labyrinth walks and retreats, I have learned
      walking helps us break old patterns of thinking,
      doing, and being. Walking helps us honor body and
      spirit. Everything instructs as we slow down and
      see, listen, taste, feel, pause, and grow.

      Walking helps release hurtful and negative feelings.
      Walking is known as the perfect total-body exercise.
      Here are four great reasons to walk: it brightens
      your mood; it strengthens your body; it energizes
      your mind; it burns calories (Fenton, Mark and the
      Editors. "Walking: The New Walker's Logbook," p.
      67). Oprah Winfrey has often said, "I've been
      through every diet under the sun, and I can tell
      you that getting up, getting out, and walking is
      always the first goal."

      Age-old wisdom reveals that aging people who remain
      active maintain the vigor and strength of someone
      ten to fifteen years younger. I looked at a walking
      journal the other day, and it specifically mentioned
      that we use more of our body's 650 muscles and 208
      bones when we walk, than when we run. Walking also
      helps prevent osteoporosis (age-related bone loss).

      Step by step, we can breathe peace with every step.
      By breathing a little slower and deeper, we enjoy
      placing one step in front of the other. People
      walk for all kinds of reasons. We walk for peace,
      justice, civil rights, health and wellness, and
      many other social causes. We walk and talk, walk
      and meditate. We walk for our physical health,
      so why not walk for our spiritual health?

      The venerable Thich Nhat Hanh reminds us that
      "everything depends on our steps. We struggle
      in our mind and body, and don't touch the peace
      and joy that are available right now the blue
      sky, the green leaves, the eyes of our beloved"
      (Hanh, Thich Nhat. "The Long Road Turns to Joy,"
      p. 5). He calls us to be deeply mindful and in
      touch with the present moment. Our understanding
      of what is going on will deepen, and we can begin
      to be filled with acceptance, joy, peace, and love.
      Thich Nhat Hanh encourages everyone to begin to
      practice walking meditation. Because it might
      be new, we may feel unbalanced, like a baby
      learning to walk. He says this, "Follow your
      breathing, dwell mindfully on your steps, and
      soon you will find your balance. Visualize a
      tiger walking slowly, and you will find that
      your steps become as majestic as his" (Ibid., p.
      49).

      Walk and find strength with God.

      God, help us build our strength by walking,
      walking with You. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank