Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 26, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of November 26, 2006

      Just believe

      "While he was still speaking, there came from the
      ruler's house some who said, 'Your daughter is dead.
      Why trouble the Teacher any further?' But ignoring
      what they said, Jesus said to the ruler of the
      synagogue, 'Do not fear, only believe.'"
      Mark 5:35-36

      It is every parent's worse nightmare, to lose a
      child through death. Parents should not outlive
      their children, parents should not bury them.
      Jairus had experienced such high hopes when Jesus
      had earlier agreed to accompany him to his home.
      The synagogue ruler had hoped against hope that
      they would arrive in time for a miracle. Now it
      was too late. Crushed in spirit and teary eyed,
      he listened to his advisors who suggested he not
      bother Jesus any longer.

      Jesus seemed to read Jairus' chaotic and grief
      stricken thoughts. He quietly ignored the advice
      of Jairus' servants and spoke with holy boldness,
      "Do not be afraid, Jairus, just believe."

      Jairus was heartbroken. How could this be
      happening? Jairus was one of the few religious
      Jewish leaders open to the teachings of Jesus.
      What was Jairus, or anybody, for that matter,
      supposed to believe? Was he to believe that
      Jesus would perform his greatest miracle yet
      and bring his cherished daughter back from the
      dead? This was humanly impossible.

      Or was it divinely possible? In the midst of
      this grieving father's broken heart, a faint
      glimmer of hope refused to be extinguished.
      All he had to do was just believe without
      fear, that Jesus would do something remarkable
      and supernatural. Jairus had just seen with
      his own eyes how Jesus had miraculously healed
      a chronically ill woman. He comforted himself
      with the memory of Jesus' earlier promise to
      come to his house and heal his beloved daughter.
      Obviously, Jesus was a wonder worker with
      amazing powers to cure the sick. But could
      this remarkable healer overcome death itself?

      It seemed too much to believe yet hope grew with
      every step towards his home. This concerned father
      did not know what Jesus was going to do, but he
      obeyed the best he could while trying to control
      his fear. Jairus placed his trust and confidence
      in the remarkable Healer, while fervently praying
      for a miracle. He knew Jesus possessed remarkable
      powers that could only come from God.

      Faith does not occur in a vacuum. Although we know
      very little about Jairus, we do know he was a ruler
      in a synagogue. He was well acquainted with theology
      and the Jewish hope for a future coming Messiah.
      Could Jesus be the long awaited Messiah? Being
      steeped in the Jewish scriptures since birth, Jairus
      was familiar with the encouraging words from the
      psalmists and prophets from so long ago. During
      the long walk back to his home, it is possible that
      he was even comforting himself by reciting sacred
      words he had memorized from childhood. "Even though
      I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I
      will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and
      your staff, they comfort me" (Psalm 23:4). "The
      Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears from all
      faces; [God] will remove the disgrace of [God's]
      people from all the earth. The LORD has spoken"
      (Isaiah 25:8).

      By using our holy imaginations, we become part of
      these sacred stories. If you were Jairus, what
      would you be hoping and praying for? Would you
      be afraid or could you place your full confidence
      and trust in this remarkable Healer, named Jesus?
      In your own life faith journey, has faith in Jesus
      empowered you to overcome fear in the face of
      overwhelming troubles? Can you, with Jairus,
      just believe?

      Oh God, help our unbelief. Give us faith and
      courage to overcome the fears we face in our
      lives. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank