Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VII, No. 15

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2006

      Vol. VII, No. 15

      1. 2007 Liturgical Calendar
      2. Stained Glass for Christmas!
      3. Step Number 7: "Find Positive Supportive
      Scripture"
      4. May We Suggest Easy Christmas Shopping?
      5. The Order of Saint Luke

      This issue's Quote:

      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter
      don't mind."
      Dr. Seuss

      1. 2007 Liturgical Calendar

      The 2006-2007 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary Year C
      is now on the Chi Rho Press Web site. You may view it and
      order it at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa06_07.html

      The 2006-2007 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells
      for $11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      The Lectionary in the Liturgical Calendar is from the
      Revised Common Lectionary, widely used as the ecumenical
      consensus on readings for each Sunday and holy day in the
      three-year cycle. Our Liturgical Calendar is packed with
      useful information for planning worship and preaching in
      the local church for each Sunday and Holy Day of the Church
      Year. It is intended for use by pastors, musicians, altar
      guilds, teachers, theological students, and anyone using
      the Church Year as a basis for worship or education. The
      Liturgical Calendar is spiral bound so it can lie flat for
      easy use, in the popular 8 ½" x 11" format.

      Featured in this new Liturgical Calendar are these sections:
      A Heading that identifies the day in the church year (for
      example, the first Sunday of Advent, or Proper 20) with
      alternative descriptions where appropriate. The Revised
      Common Lectionary readings, including a brief summary of
      each reading. (These are intended as only a very brief
      overview to identify general themes as an aid to worship
      planning. We do not represent them as anything approaching
      a thorough exegesis.) The First Reading is usually from
      the Hebrew Testament, but there are exceptions, such as
      the use of readings from Acts during the Easter season.
      These are sometimes selected thematically to fit the
      Liturgical Calendar, but often are simply being read
      through key passages over a series of weeks. This is
      followed by a Response, usually a Psalm. The Epistle
      Reading is next, like the Hebrew Testament Reading
      typically a series of key passages from the same book
      being read over a number of weeks. Finally the Gospel
      Reading follows the story of Jesus through the Christmas
      and Easter cycles, plus the teachings of Jesus the rest
      of the year.

      Next is a section on Worship Planning, including the
      liturgical Color of the day, Symbols and decorations
      that can be used to enhance the worship experience, and
      Special Events for the week which the congregation may
      want to remember and commemorate on Sunday.

      Rev. Witt has added lots of Notes in the Worship Planning
      section, which serve to explain in more detail information
      about the time of the church year, provide resources for
      further study and information, and develop liturgical
      themes to make your worship experience more rich and
      meaningful.

      The last section for each Sunday is called Following
      God's Footprints and is the unique contribution of
      Raye-Anne Dorn, a former Roman Catholic priest (before
      her transition). For every day of the year, Raye-Anne
      gives us a traditional saint, with a brief overview of
      an important theme for which the saint is remembered
      and what that particular saint can teach us. Some
      Diversity Dates are also included, special occasions
      for celebrations of diversity, such as special celebration
      days for specific cultures (e.g., Cinco de Mayo) and
      special days for the GLBT community (e.g., a day of
      remembrance for Matthew Shepard).

      As a special added section, we have included alternative
      readings for the four Sundays of Pride-Tide (June) prepared
      by the Rev. Gordon McCoy. The four sets of readings for
      Pride-Tide may be used at any time in the year that the
      faith community celebrates LGBT Pride. The standard
      Revised Common Lectionary readings are included for the
      four Sundays in June as well.

      The 2006-2007 Liturgical Calendar will be a helpful aid
      for anyone involved in planning worship, as well as a
      useful resource for all who want to know more about the
      Church year and the rich liturgical life of the Church
      Universal. We think you will like this new Liturgical
      Calendar.

      Order the 2007 Calendar at this new link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa06_07.html

      The 2007 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary sells for
      $11.95 each, $9.50 each for six or more copies, plus
      shipping and handling.

      2. Stained Glass for Christmas!

      Like books, stained glass makes wonderful holiday gifts.
      The stained glass elf has been busy in the Chi Rho
      Press workshop (or should that be stained glass bear?).

      Check out the stained glass section of our Web page at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html.
      There are pictures of all five stained glass pieces:

      The clear cross (usually with a red center) for $12.00;

      The LGBT rainbow flag for $18.00;

      The red AIDS ribbon for $7.50;

      The rainbow cross for $18.00;

      And the rainbow Star of David for $18.00, all plus
      shipping and handling.

      Use our handy shopping cart and pay with your credit card!
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/stainedglass.html

      Put the stained glass bear to work!

      3. Step Number 7 "Find Positive Supportive Scripture"

      Step Number 7 in the "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," by the Rev. Dr. Rembert Truluck, is to "Find
      Positive Supportive Scripture."

      Here is the introductory material from chapter 12 of
      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," in which Dr.
      Truluck outlines the seventh step needed to recover
      from Bible abuse.

      The Seventh Step: Find Positive Supportive Scripture.

      Make a list of the Bible passages that especially speak
      to you and give you hope and encouragement.

      John 3:16-17 is a good beginning, "God so loved the
      world [YOU] that God gave God's only begotten child,
      Jesus, that whosoever [YOU] believes in Jesus should
      not perish [throw away your life], but have eternal
      life. For God did not send Jesus into the world to
      condemn the world but that the world through Jesus
      should be set free [saved]."

      See also Psalm 100; the Book of Ruth; the story of
      David and Jonathan in 1 Samuel 18:1 through 20:42 and
      2 Samuel 1:1-27; John 14 through 17; Matthew 28:1-20;
      Galatians 3 through 6; 1 Peter 3 through 5; Romans
      5:1-11; 8:1-4, 14-39; 15:1-7; and all of Romans 5
      through 8.

      Many other Bible passages are helpful and encouraging
      to people who are abused, misunderstood, outcasts, and
      oppressed. Discuss the Bible in your group and
      encourage people to suggest Bible passages that have
      helped them.

      Buy the complete book, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," on the Chi Rho Press Web site, at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html

      4. May We Suggest East Christmas Shopping?

      What if we could point you to a store that is open
      24 hours a day, seven days a week; where you can shop
      in your pajamas if you want; where you can buy books,
      stained glass, music, and even stocking stuffers; and where
      shipping within the United States is free for orders
      over $100! Of course, we are talking about our own
      Web site, http://www.ChiRhoPress.com.

      Books make great gifts! Titles such as Steps to
      Recovery from Bible Abuse, Living as the Beloved,
      Christian with a Twist, The Bible and Homosexuality,
      two different Lenten studies, Come Home!, Called OUT!,
      Positively Gay, My Memory Book, the new 2007 Liturgical
      Calendar and Lectionary, The Road to Emmaus, and
      Together in Love are all available and ready to ship.
      Plus we have audio and video tapes, CDs, five different
      stained glass designs, rainbow key chains and
      bracelets, and more!

      *****

      We have designed gift certificates that can be made out
      for any amount you care to give.

      These are not yet available on our Web site, so send your
      check with a note indicating that you are buying a Gift
      Certificate and we will make up an attractive Gift
      Certificate for the amount of your check for you to give
      along with a copy of our catalog.

      Chi Rho Press Gift Certificates make excellent gifts!
      Order some today at Chi Rho Press, P.O. Box 7864,

      Come shop at Chi Rho Press!

      5. The Order of Saint Luke

      In October I was privileged to attend the Annual Retreat
      of the Order of Saint Luke near Pittsburgh, PA. There I
      professed by vows as a Brother in the Order before the
      Brother Abbott Mark Stamm. (Brother Abbott Stamm is a
      liturgy professor at Perkins School of Theology in
      Texas.)

      The Order of Saint Luke is dedicated to sacramental
      and liturgical scholarship, teaching, and practice.
      As a religious order, we are a dispersed community in
      diaspora, made up of women and men, lay and clergy,
      from many different denominations, who are seeking to
      live a sacramental life. The Order is Wesleyan and
      Lukan in its spirituality, Methodist in its origins,
      sacramental in its practice, and ecumenical in its
      outlook. Please explore our Web site at
      http://www.saint-luke.org.

      This year we celebrate our 60th anniversary, having
      begun in 1946. There are over 750 members of the
      Order scattered in 43 of the US states and in a number
      of other countries. Sixty-nine brothers and sisters
      gathered for the Annual Retreat this weekend, beginning
      on the Feast of St. Luke on October 18th. I was one of
      three people professing vows for the first time. My
      pastor, the Rev. Dr. Rob Taylor, was with me this
      weekend as I professed my initial vows. He is a long
      time member of OSL.

      The Rule of the Order of Saint Luke is simple, yet
      profound.

      We affirm the apostolic hope;
      We live for the Church of Jesus Christ;
      We seek the sacramental life;
      We promote the corporate worship of the Church;
      We magnify the sacraments;
      We accept the call to service.

      I am very pleased to have joined this ecumenical Order
      and invite you to review the Web site, and to celebrate
      with me on this important step in my spiritual path.
      For those of you who are more sacramental in your
      liturgical preferences, I strongly encourage you to
      join the Order, which you can do by e-mail. Please
      let me know if you are interested in doing this, so I
      can assist you to become a member. Write me at

      We have been remiss in getting out new issues of the
      Chi Rho Connection for the past little while, for
      which I apologize. There is a lot going on and I
      am eager to get fully back in the saddle at Chi Rho
      Press.

      *****

      We have a couple of needs, and perhaps some of our
      readers will be able to help.

      Our exemplary volunteer Web minister, the Rev. Clay
      Witt, is really and truly retiring and wants to lay
      down those duties by the end of the year. So we are
      looking for a new volunteer Web minister. If you have
      those skills and gifts and would like to take on this
      role, please contact me at Adam@....

      If you are in the Washington DC area, we also would
      benefit by a couple of volunteer office workers to
      help get things better organized here in my home
      office. Since I work a full-time secular job, I am
      looking for volunteers in the evening and on weekends.
      Write me at Adam@... if you are interested.

      *****

      I have recently been elected one of the two lay
      delegates at my home congregation, Open Door MCC,
      Boyds, MD (Website: http://www.opendoormcc.com).
      This is a great honor for me and I look forward to
      representing my congregation at international and
      regional conferences of MCC over the next two years.
      I also serve on the altar guild, one of the worship
      teams, head the HIV Support Group, and am chair of
      the Outreach Committee.

      *****

      Shipping and Handling Tip: When you are ordering
      from the Chi Rho Press Web site, be sure to tell us
      your preferred shipping method. The way the shopping
      cart is set up, the shipping method defaults to United
      Parcel Service. This is NOT the most economical way
      to ship for orders under seven pounds. If you want
      the most inexpensive shipping (within the United
      States) it is usually best to pick USPS (United
      States Postal Service Domestic Parcel Post) for
      packages weighing under seven pounds. UPS (United
      Parcel Service) Ground is more economical for packages
      heavier than seven pounds. The shopping cart will
      tell you how much your order weighs in the box right
      next to your order amount and price. There is a link
      there to change your shipping method as well.

      When I order one copy of the Liturgical Calendar and
      allow the default UPS Ground shipping method, the
      shipping cost is almost as much as the book, $10.11!
      But if I change the shipping method to USPS Parcel
      Post shipping is only $6.28, and it is $6.46 for USPS
      Priority Mail.

      Also do not forget that shipping from Chi Rho Press
      is FREE for orders over $100. Sometimes all you need
      do is add another book or two to get free shipping,
      saving even more money.

      Be smart shoppers and choose your shipping options
      carefully to avoid paying too much!

      *****

      I am very happy to be a brother in the Order of Saint
      Luke and I encourage you to explore joining the Order
      as well. Check out the Web site at http://www.saint-luke.org.

      *****

      I really encourage you all to become Guardian Angels
      of Chi Rho Press. This will help us a lot as we
      prepare our next books for publication. Just $150
      for a year will make you an important participant in
      this ministry.

      Thank you!

      *****

      Finally, as the holidays approach, please know that I
      wish you a very blessed holiday season. Thanksgiving
      (here in the US), Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, and
      New Years all bring with them great opportunities for
      joy, but also much sadness for many people in the LGBT
      community.

      Suicides and suicide attempts increase during the holiday
      season, especially for many LGBT people whose families
      have deserted them or who are single and alone. Please
      remember those who are alone this holiday season and try
      to include them in your festivities. Even a card, a
      small gift (from Chi Rho Press, of course!), or an
      invitation to dinner or a party, can mean so much to
      someone for whom the holidays are not always filled
      with blessings and joy.

      And please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers
      as we move through the stately dance of thanksgiving to
      the birth of our Savior and the coming new year. May
      you be filled with every good thing now and always.

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      Brother R. Adam DeBaugh, OSL
      Director, Adam@....

      Please visit http://www.ChiRhoPress.com. You may

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com.