Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 1, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 9:48 PM
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of October 1, 2006

      Christ suffered in silence

      "Now the chief priests and the whole council were
      looking for false testimony against Jesus so that
      they might put him to death, but they found none,
      though many false witnesses came forward. At last
      two came forward and said, 'This fellow said, "I am
      able to destroy the temple of God and to build it
      in three days."' The high priest stood up and said,
      'Have you no answer? What is it that they testify
      against you?' But Jesus was silent. Then the high
      priest said to him, 'I put you under oath before the
      living God, tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son
      of God.' Jesus said to him, 'You have said so. But
      I tell you, From now on you will see the Son of Man
      seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the
      clouds of heaven.' Then the high priest tore his
      clothes and said, 'He has blasphemed! Why do we
      still need witnesses? You have now heard his
      blasphemy. What is your verdict?' They answered,
      'He deserves death.' Then they spat in his face
      and struck him; and some slapped him, saying,
      'Prophesy to us, you Messiah! Who is it that
      struck you?'"
      Matthew 26:59-68

      Jesus chose to be silent while many came forward
      and lied about him. Finally two came forward and
      intentionally distorted his words. Their testimony
      gave the high priest what he so ardently sought. A
      blasphemy charge would put Jesus to death according
      to their religious traditions and laws. I find it
      utterly incomprehensible that these religious leaders
      were so hateful and intent on destroying Jesus. Yet
      world history reveals horrific brutality and terrible
      suffering has been inflicted on millions through
      centuries of well-intentioned and zealous (un)holy
      wars, inquisitions, and religious crusades.

      Jesus remained silent throughout this travesty of
      justice. Chaos erupted as the chief priest and the
      assembly of spiritual leaders unanimously issued
      their verdict of blasphemy. They began to physically
      attack and brutalize the Silent One. They spit in
      his face, slapped him, and beat him with their fists.
      The horrible ordeal was just beginning.

      Years later, Peter would recall the prophetic ancient
      words spoken centuries earlier as he wrote these
      encouraging words to suffering fellow believers
      about his beloved Jesus, "To this you were called,
      because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an
      example, that you should follow in his steps. 'He
      committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his
      mouth' [Isaiah 53:9 NIV]. When they hurled their
      insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he
      suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted
      himself to God who judges justly. He himself bore
      our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might
      die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds
      you have been healed. For you were like sheep going
      astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and
      Overseer of your souls" (1 Peter 2:21-25 NIV).

      Our souls need this Shepherd. His courage and
      dignity in the face of hatred and violence can be
      ours. Let us follow in his steps, and likewise
      entrust our souls to God who is just.

      God, bless me with the spiritual empowerment that
      comes from Christ alone. Amen.

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free twice
      Reflection, our weekly meditation, by sending blank