Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VII, No. 12

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2006

      Vol. VII, No. 12

      1. "The Journey is Our Home:" Sharing Our Faith
      Journeys. On Silence, by the Rev. Jeremy
      2. Become a Guardian Angel of Chi Rho Press
      3. May We Suggest "Come Home"?
      4. Step Number 6: "Confront the Scripture Used
      Against You"
      5. "Christian with a Twist"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      This issue's Quote:

      "Gray hair is a crown of glory: it is the reward for
      virtuous living!"
      Proverbs 16:31"

      1. "The Journey is Our Home:" Sharing Our Faith
      Journeys. On Silence, by the Rev. Jeremy.

      Back in September 2002 we started soliciting our
      readers and authors to contribute essays for a series
      in the Chi Rho Connection in which people tell part
      of the story of their faith journeys. The title of
      this column, "The Journey is Our Home," comes from a
      wonderful contemporary hymn by Ruth Duck, called
      "Lead on, O Cloud of Yahweh." The whole second
      verse reads,

      Lead on, O fiery pillar,
      We follow yet with fears,
      But we shall come rejoicing
      Though joy be born of tears.
      We are not lost, though wandering,
      For by your light we come,
      And we are still God's people,
      The journey is our home.

      We would like to resume this series, publishing a
      new faith story in each issue of the Chi Rho
      Connection. Our writers will be well known and
      not famous at all, clergy and lay people, LGBT
      people and non-gay people, people from all walks
      of life, and even Christians and non-Christians.

      If you would like to contribute the story of your
      faith journey for inclusion in 'The Journey is Our
      Home,' please try to limit your story to 500 words.
      Write us at Connection@... with your
      submission.

      Here's a bit of the faith journey of my good friend,
      Father Jeremy, a retired Roman Catholic priest who
      lives in the "tundra," as he likes to call it, of
      New England. Fr. Jeremy offers us a reflection on
      silence today.

      I've been sitting here in "the great silence alone"
      reflecting on just that, with the nearing and
      distancing purr of the lawn mower.

      I read this today, "Each soul must meet the morning
      sun, the new, sweet earth, and the great silence
      alone."
      -- Charles Alexander Eastman.

      For me, reading these words recreates a period of my
      life when there was a goodly amount of silence in my
      daily life, oftentimes silence in community.

      Interspersed throughout the day were the communal
      prayer times of chanting psalms, listening to
      readings and then sitting in silence, communally
      alone.

      During the day starting with Vigils in early pre-dawn,
      at noontime, and again at Vespers/evening prayer we
      observed a half hour for this silent prayer, where
      we just sat in silence together, often without even
      the rustle of garments.

      At the daily Eucharist, after all of us had been fed
      with the Body and Blood of the Lord, an action binding
      brothers and sisters more closely, we then sat in
      communal silence for about 20 minutes, allowing the
      Presence to penetrate, nourish, and draw into Unity
      our separate hearts and souls. We ended this with
      the final prayers of the Mass.

      The entire day was blessed with this silence. Then
      after the final prayer-time (Compline) we entered
      into what was known as "the grand silence" which
      ended the next day after breakfast, during which
      time we didn't communicate, except if absolutely
      necessary.

      To further aid this inner silence, there was the
      custom called "custody of the eyes" where we just
      didn't gawk around watching others and their comings
      and goings with nosey curiosity. The bodily
      outwardness enabled an inner openness of the heart,
      to God, to myself, to the whole world.

      By our world's business, one would think such silence
      might engender anti-social or isolationist attitudes.
      It may have in some, I don't know. But I do know my
      experience brought me into a deep, deep relationship
      with my brothers and sisters, a bond so different
      from noisy nervous chatter and surface interaction.
      I was always surprised by the knowledge of one another
      we had, due to "the silent life."

      And now in semi-retirement I live alone, with Chazz
      (Fr. Jeremy's beloved dog) of course, who is a good
      contemplative as he sits and observes the world about
      him. My life is blessed by this "great silence alone."

      2. Become a Guardian Angel of Chi Rho Press

      As you may already know, all contributions to Chi Rho
      Press are fully tax deductible. If you are able to make
      a financial gift to this ministry, we would welcome your
      support. Gifts and contributions of any size are welcome
      and appreciated!

      We are committed to reviving our Guardian Angel program.
      Our Guardian Angel Individual Sponsors program starts
      with a minimum gift of $150 a year and our Guardian
      Angels receive discounts on Press publications, free
      gifts during the year, and special other perks.

      You may contribute on line, paying with your credit
      card at http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html or
      send your check or money order to Chi Rho Press, P.O.
      Box 7864, Gaithersburg, MD 20898.

      Thanks for your support!

      3. May We Suggest "Come Home"?

      A loyal reader, Gary, writes, "I just finished reading
      the book this weekend. The book is very well written.
      Chris Glaser has many profound insights. I strongly
      recommend reading the book."

      "Come Home! Reclaiming Spirituality and Community as
      Gay Men and Lesbians," second edition, by Chris Glaser.
      First published in 1990 by HarperCollins, the second
      edition was published in 1998 by Chi Rho Press with
      the addition of five new chapters to the original 20.

      "Come Home!" is perhaps Chris Glaser's best book. It
      is divided into five sections, each with five chapters.
      The five sections are entitled, "Welcoming God's
      Acceptance," "Receiving Our Inheritance," "Discerning
      Our Call," "Making Our Witness," and "Declaring Our
      Vision."

      Bishop John Shelby Spong called "Come Home!" "powerful,
      sensitive, and provocative. . . . Glaser stands inside
      his own humanity as a gay male and hears the word of
      God through the Bible. Christians, gay and straight,
      need this book if we are to be the body of Christ."

      This is a brilliant and important book by perhaps the
      best-known Gay Christian writer in the U.S. today.

      The Rev. Carter Heyward called "Come Home!" "an
      enthusiastic compelling testimony to the power of
      faith in the lives of many gay and lesbian Christians."

      Virginia Ramey Mollenkott said, "If courage, honesty,
      and insight are beautiful, then this is one beautiful
      book. . . . I rejoice that in this book all the gay
      men and lesbian women who have been robbed of their
      spirituality are issued an urgent invitation: Come
      home!"

      "Come Home!" by Chris Glaser offers a vision of faith,
      hope, and affirmation inviting gay men and lesbians to
      come home to their spirituality through Christian faith
      and community. Order your copy today!

      "Come Home!" is available for $19.95 each, $14.95 each
      for six or more copies, plus shipping and handling.
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevComeHome.html

      4. Step Number 6: "Confront the Scripture Used
      Against You"

      Step Number 6 in the "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," by the Rev. Dr. Rembert Truluck, is to
      "Confront the Scripture Used Against You."

      Here is the introductory material from chapter 11 of
      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," in which Dr.
      Truluck outlines the sixth step needed to recover
      from Bible abuse.

      The Sixth Step: Confront the Scripture Used Against
      You.

      Learn the facts about homosexuality and the Bible.

      The truth will set you free.

      Jesus said, "You search the Scriptures, because you
      think that in them you have eternal life; but it is
      these that bear witness of me. . . . You will know
      the truth and the truth will set you free" (John 5:39;
      8:32).

      Jesus frequently showed how the Bible had been used
      incorrectly to hurt people. In Matthew 5:17-48,
      Jesus said that he had come to fulfill the Law, not
      that he had come to force you to keep the Law! In
      this passage Jesus corrected several mistakes in the
      Old Testament by saying repeatedly, "you have heard
      it said, but I say unto you." Things that Jesus
      corrected were based on quotations from the Bible.
      Jesus corrected mistakes in the Bible.

      Jesus spent most of his time dealing with abusive
      and oppressive religion and showing how he had come
      to replace law with love. He taught his disciples
      to think objectively and logically about their
      relationships with God and with other people.

      The burden of proof concerning Bible condemnation
      and rejection of gay people is upon those who use
      incorrectly translated and out-of-context passages
      to hurt people who were not intended in the original
      texts. Frequently I have been asked to prove that
      the Bible does not condemn homosexuals. That
      question is backwards.

      No word for "homosexual" exists in biblical languages.
      No reference to sexual orientation exists in the Bible.
      Of the six Bible passages used against gays, three of
      them, Genesis 19:5; 1 Corinthians 6:9; and 1 Timothy
      1:10 are translated incorrectly, and three, Leviticus
      18:22; Leviticus 20:13; and Romans 1:26-27 are taken
      out of their correct context of condemning idolatrous
      religious practices and applied incorrectly to people
      of the same sex who love each other. The Bible nowhere
      condemns love, affection, or sex between people who
      love each other. In fact, no word for "sex" exists
      in the Bible.

      When the verses that are used to condemn people for
      their sexual orientation are examined carefully in
      their context and with the accepted methods of
      academic research and logic, there is no evidence
      that the Bible says that gay people are evil and
      hated and rejected by God. No evidence exists in
      the Bible to prove God's rejection of gay men and
      women. The case against gays and lesbians is
      dismissed for a lack of evidence.

      Jesus never mentioned homosexuals or any issue
      related to sexual orientation. If you follow
      Jesus, you accept everyone equally. Jesus is
      proof that God loves and accepts all people,
      including you.

      Author's note: This material on the Sixth Step w
      as the most difficult part of the book to write.
      When the Rev. Chuck Larsen first invited me to begin
      research, writing, and teaching Bible studies for
      gays and lesbians at First Metropolitan Community
      Church (MCC) Atlanta in 1988, he suggested that we
      look at the positive use of the Bible to help
      encourage and strengthen the spiritual life of
      our people and call the studies, "The Bible as
      the Friend of Lesbians and Gays," which was the
      first title of the material in this book.

      Most of this book is about the positive use of the
      Bible as a guide to Jesus and the good news of God's
      love for all of us. Dealing with the abusive misuse
      of the Bible against gay people is necessary, however,
      because much of the oppression of gay men and lesbians
      springs from the errors and mistakes that have been
      read into the Bible in six obscure and questionable
      passages, and none of it comes from the life and
      message of Jesus. The basic problem in answering
      the verses that are used against us is that it is
      a negative task. We have to show what the passages
      do not say, partly because the six verses used
      against us do not make any reference to sexual
      orientation and partly because the verses all are
      relatively obscure and are usually used only as a
      weapon to attack gays.

      Jesus said nothing against gay people, though
      homophobic legalists have looked long and hard
      trying to find something. The bottom line is that
      if Jesus is our true and only reliable guide to
      understanding the Bible, there is no evidence at
      all in the Bible to condemn us for our sexual
      orientation. Praise God!

      Buy the complete book, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," on the Chi Rho Press Web site, at this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevStepsToRecovery.html

      5. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major book of
      reflections, "Christian with a Twist: Reflections
      on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive, a bit
      more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by the
      late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "The Gifts of Wisdom"
      from the Pentecost and Ordinary Time section of
      "Christian with a Twist."

      Please read Proverbs 8:1-4, 22-31

      I love today's passage. It gives me a chance to vent
      about one of my pet peeves. Oh no, not again, you may
      be thinking. But seriously, I think that wisdom and
      understanding are too much ignored and even sometimes
      discouraged in our religious lives. Many people seem
      to park their brains outside the church door, and I
      wonder sometimes if they remember to pick them up on
      their way out.

      That is harsh and negative, I know, but so much talk
      of religion these days is negative. Our religious
      institutions have to accept some of the responsibility
      for that. I do not understand the conflict between
      science and religion. What better way is there to
      honor God's Creation than to study the intricacies of
      it? And does not each new thing that we discover
      lead to even more awe and wonder about the complexity
      of what God has done?

      Today's passage says that God created wisdom at the
      very beginning of Creation, that wisdom was there
      when each and every thing came into being. Of
      course we can never understand it all, but it is
      all real and all of it is knowable, if only to God.
      There is a bit of God in each of us and we are each
      a part of all that is.

      We consist of body, mind, and spirit. We have
      hospitals and health clubs to maintain our bodies.
      We have schools and libraries to enrich our minds.
      We have churches and scripture to support our spirits.
      We would not think of accepting the level of health
      care or education of Jesus' time, but somehow we
      think that the level of spiritual development that
      was good enough then should be good enough now.

      Another of today's suggested readings is John 16:12-15
      in which Jesus promises to send to us the Spirit of
      Truth that will teach us what he could not in his time
      and place. I think that the Spirit of Truth that Jesus
      promised is not unrelated to the Wisdom spoken of in
      Proverbs. I think that God desires that all of
      Creation be alive and growing, certainly our part of
      it which God created in God's own image.

      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevChristianWithATwist.htm

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional saints listed in the 2006
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      *****

      Sat., Aug. 26, St. Genesius of Arles (Patron saint:
      actors). Love of the church: All of the martyrs
      loved the church even to death and when persecution
      did its worst they were certain of their final victory.
      They teach us by their example that by love and
      confidence in the church's teachings, we are truly
      redeemed and have a place in heaven.

      Diversity Date: Women's Equality Day

      Sun., Aug. 27, St. Monica. Perseverance in prayer:
      It is impossible to say what persevering prayer can
      do because it can do everything! It gives us a share
      in the divine omnipotence. St. Augustine's soul was
      bound in the chains of false philosophy and an
      unhallowed love, both of which by long habit had
      grown inveterate. His mother's prayers broke both.
      "We should always pray and not give up" (Luke 18:1).

      Mon., Aug. 28, St. Augustine of Hippo (Patron saint:
      brewers, theologians). The lives of saints: By
      reading about the lives of the saints you are
      gradually creating a society about you that in some
      measure will force you to raise the standard of your
      own daily life. "Ancient examples of faith, which
      both witness to God's grace and give strength, were
      set out in writing so that by the reading and
      remembering of them, God might be glorified and we
      strengthened." Passion of St. Perpetua and St.
      Felicity.

      Tues., Aug. 29, Bd. Juvenal Ancina. Brotherly love:
      Bd. Juvenal was a living example of his master St.
      Philip's principle to think nothing of life or
      reputation when it was a question of converting a
      sinner or drawing a soul to Christ. Juvenal knew
      who his murderer was and every circumstance necessary
      to convict him, yet he forbade his name be mentioned.
      "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down
      his life for his friends" (John 15:13).

      Wed., Aug. 30, St. Philip Benizi. Last things: Act
      like you would wish to have acted when you stand
      before Christ on your judgment day. This is the rule
      of the saints and the only safe rule for all. "My
      God, the nearer I come to you the greater need have
      I to humble myself in the dust," St. Philip Benizi.

      Thurs., Aug. 31, St. Aidan. Gentleness: It is the
      meek, the gentle, and the humble who spiritually
      conquer the world. The less we give way to
      impatience in our dealings with others, the more
      the spirit of God works in us and for us. We have
      to overcome inward feelings of pride and irritation
      as well as their outward expressions. "But the
      meek shall inherit the land and enjoy great peace"
      (Psalm 37:11).

      Fri., Sept. 1, St. Giles (Patron saint: homeless,
      disabled). The riches of poverty: The finest of
      chains can hold a small bird captive and prevent
      it from flying away. We cannot fully enjoy the
      blessings nor love that God has for us as long as
      one tiny single tie binds our hearts to sin.
      "Sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor yet making
      many rich; having nothing and yet possessing
      everything" (2 Corinthians 6:10).

      Diversity Dates: Hispanic Heritage Month
      Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month

      Sat., Sept. 2, St. Stephen of Hungary. With God
      all plans come to fruition: Saint Stephen was a
      man with a mission. This mission he managed to
      accomplish in the course of his life and the
      reforms he instituted lasted for centuries to
      come. His most important contribution, though,
      was to bring Hungary to the status of a nation.
      Though small, this country would come to effect
      Europe in some very important ways in future
      centuries.

      Sun., Sept. 3, St. Pius X. Simplicity of living:
      Simplicity of life and spirit, humbleness and
      gentleness, carried St. Pius X to all of the world's
      hearts and thus God glorified him to the world. "I
      was born poor, I have lived poor, and I wish to die
      poor," St. Pius X.

      Mon., Sept. 4, St. Rose of Viterbo. Use of today:
      Rose died when she was seventeen but she died a
      saint. Many of us have lived much longer, yet
      with what result? Every minute of every day there
      is something we can do for God. Let us learn from
      St. Rose's example to be up and doing every single
      day. "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in
      the day of salvation I helped you" (2 Corinthians
      6:2).

      Tues., Sept. 5, St. Laurence Giustiniani. Seeking
      divine wisdom: "Why do you go about trying to
      satisfy your mind first with one thing and then
      another? Rest is to be found only in the boundless
      treasures of divine wisdom," St. Laurence Giustiniani.

      Wed., Sept. 6, St. Symphorosa. Suffering: History
      shows that Hadrian threatened to burn St. Symphorosa
      alive as a sacrifice to his gods. She told him this
      was beyond his power, if she was burnt, she would be
      offered up, not to demons, but to Christ the Son of
      God, and the fire that consumed her body would add
      light to her crown. Her trial is an example to us
      that no matter what comes our way, it is a means of
      consecrating ourselves anew to Christ.

      Thurs., Sept. 7, St. Tarbula. Guarding chastity:
      Whatever your state of life may be, you too are
      dedicated to Christ and bound to follow him in
      purity of body and soul. "But among you there
      must be not even a hint of sexual impurity, or
      of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because
      these are improper for God's holy people"
      (Ephesians 5:3).

      Fri., Sept. 8, St. Poemen. Kind judgments: We
      can never arrive at true purity of heart until we
      believe ourselves to be more worthless than anybody
      else. This is not difficult, for even if we were
      to see a murderer we could say, "He has only killed
      one person, while I have put my soul to death many
      times by my sins." "If we pass over people's faults
      in silence, God also will hide ours, but if we
      divulge them, God will make known our own," St.
      Poemen.

      Sat., Sept. 9, St. Peter Claver (Patron saint:
      African Americans). Our neighbor's needs: When
      we see someone in need, either for body or for
      soul, do not ask why someone else did not help,
      but be thankful for the opportunity to do it
      yourself. "Who is weak, and I do not feel weak?
      Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?"
      (2 Corinthians 11:29).

      Sun., Sept. 10, St. Nicholas of Tolentino. A good
      death: Would you die the death of the just? There
      is only one way of making sure of doing so. Live
      the life of the just. For it is impossible that
      one who has been faithful to God in life should
      make a bad or unhappy end. "I love life only
      because it leads quickly to death," St. Nicholas
      of Tolentino.

      Mon., Sept. 11, Bd. Charles Spinola. Death for
      Christ: So deeply was Bd. Charles steeped in the
      wisdom of the cross that he not only welcomed
      suffering in every way and bore it when most
      crushing, but even in the prison of Omura, more
      terrible as he said, than death by fire, he imposed
      mortifications on himself. "For to me, to live is
      Christ and to die is gain" (Philippians 1:21).

      Tues., Sept. 12, St. Guy. Reverence for the house
      of God: Jesus was nine months in Mary's womb,
      three hours on the cross, and three days in the
      grave, but sacramentally, he is in the tabernacle
      always. Does our reverence before him bear witness
      to this blessed truth? "Zeal for your house will
      consume me!"
      (John 2:17).

      Wed., Sept. 13, St. Francis di Girolamo. Attending
      to sermons: In spite of the wisdom and power with
      which St. Francis preached, his sermons were of no
      use to those who listened with hardened hearts. If
      we would hear preachers aright, we must examine our
      own conscience instead of criticizing what is being
      said. "They who hear the divine warning unmoved are
      not worthy to be healed," St. Augustine.

      Thurs., Sept. 14, St. Speratus. Perseverance: Beg
      God for the gift of perseverance. Do not hesitate,
      do not look back, do not listen to suggestions
      against faith nor virtue. Go forward day by day
      along the road which you have chosen, to God who
      is your lover forever. "But they that stand firm
      to the end will be saved" (Matthew 24:13).

      Fri., Sept. 15, St. Catherine of Genoa. Purgatory:
      St. Catherine said that the bitterness of the
      suffering of Purgatory could not be expressed or
      understood. Frequent reflection on Purgatory will
      help us to escape it, by avoiding the least
      imperfection that hinders our approach to God.
      "Yet God was merciful; and forgave their iniquities
      and did not destroy them" (Psalm 78:38).

      Sat., Sept. 16, St. Cornelius. Compassion: The
      surest way of keeping our souls in God's grace is
      to have a humble compassion for those who have
      fallen, remembering our own sinfulness. "I tell
      you that in the same way there will be more
      rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents
      than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do
      not need to repent" (Luke 15:7).

      *****

      Order the 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      this link:
      http://www.chirhopress.com/products/product_details/BookRevLiturgicalCa05_06.html

      Summer wanders to it's close. I have been awash
      with social events, which has kept me very happy!
      July had two weddings and a funeral, two occasions
      for joy, and one for great sadness. August has
      featured barbeques, dinners, and lots of time with
      good friends. I hope that your summer (if you are
      one of our friends and readers here in the Northern
      Hemisphere, that is) has been filled with delight.
      I pray that the high temperatures over the last
      couple of months have not burdened you over much,
      and that the exorbitant price of gasoline has not
      caused too much financial suffering. It sure has
      beaten me soundly about the head and shoulders!

      But most of all, I hope that summer has been a
      blessed time for you all. And for our friends
      in the Southern Hemisphere, well, winter is
      surprisingly near for us. It will come sooner
      than we think, or like! And you will bask in
      the summer heat soon.

      *****

      Financial strain is a difficult thing to deal with
      and I have had my share this year. As you may
      recall, I was out of work full time for a few
      weeks in November and part time for most of
      December, as a result of a badly injured lower
      back. Workman's compensation, after first telling
      me they would pay for the hours I was unable to
      work after I went back to work part time at
      doctor's orders, later reneged and refused to
      pay me. I would have been better off not working
      at all!

      As a result, I have fallen woefully behind on some
      credit card debts. The Press has had a slow year
      as well, so we are struggling on both fronts. I
      have talked to my excellent financial advisor, Ms.
      Renee Green at Ameriprise Financial Services, and
      she has helped me immensely. If you are in need
      of a financial advisor, may I recommend Renee to
      you? She is an out Lesbian and her company used
      to be American Express Financial Services. She
      has been doing this for a long time and she is
      excellent. Call her at 1-800/573-1759, no matter
      where you are in the US, or write her at
      Renee.L.Green@.... I strongly recommend her!
      And tell Renee that Adam sent you please!

      Part of Renee's help has been to hook me up with
      Clearpoint Financial, who I am working with to
      have them take over my outstanding credit card
      debt, renegotiate interest rates, and make
      payments. Of course, I won't be able to use
      those credit cards any more, which will probably
      be a very good thing for me! But financial
      reverses being what they are, any contributions
      you may feel moved to make will be gratefully
      received. You may make financial gifts to me
      through Chi Rho Press on line at our Sponsors
      site at http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html
      and note that the gift is for me! That way,
      anything you care to give to help out will be
      tax deductible.

      Of course, the Press also needs your gifts, and
      more importantly your purchases!

      *****

      I really encourage you all to become Guardian Angels
      of Chi Rho Press. This will help us a lot as we
      prepare our next books for publication. Just $150
      for a year will make you an important participant in
      this ministry.

      Thank you!

      *****

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com