Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 6, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of August 6, 2006

      Stumbling blocks

      "From that time Jesus began to show his disciples
      that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things
      from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and
      be killed, and on the third day be raised. And Peter
      took him and began to rebuke him, saying, 'God forbid,
      Lord! This shall never happen to you.' But Jesus
      turned and said to Peter, 'Get behind me, Satan!
      You are a hindrance to me; for you are not on the
      side of God, but of people.'"
      Matthew 16:21-23

      What has happened? In the preceding verses, Peter
      has made a great statement of faith, and Jesus
      promises to build his church with Peter. Now,
      just minutes later, Jesus confuses Peter and the
      other disciples. To their dismay, he begins
      teaching them that he must suffer and be killed
      by their religious leaders. Impulsively Peter
      takes Jesus aside and rebukes him for saying such
      negative and frightening things.

      Jesus instantly turns to Peter and tells him to back
      off. He calls Peter a "stumbling block" and "Satan."
      He chastises Peter for having in mind the things of
      people instead of the things of God. How confusing
      this must have been for poor Peter. Elevated by
      profound spiritual insight one moment and severely
      rebuked by Jesus with the next breath.

      Are we experiencing a spiritual stumbling block like
      Peter? What is keeping us from having God's point
      of view and perspective? What is Jesus saying to
      us through this story?

      God, how are we like Peter? What are the spiritual
      stumbling blocks in our lives? Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free