Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 30, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 30, 2006

      So dull

      "But Peter said to him, 'Explain the parable to us.'
      And Jesus said, 'Are you also still without
      understanding?'"
      Matthew 15:15-16

      I love Peter. I love his faith, courage,
      impulsiveness, and even his dullness. I can
      relate to him in many ways. He is so very human.
      As a teacher, I recognize his request for yet
      another explanation. Sometimes we ask repetitive
      questions even though we know the answers. The
      deeper knowledge and truth becomes a mixed blessing.
      If we truly learn a new lesson, then we might be
      required to change our ways. Change is something
      many people often fear, fight, resist, avoid, and
      delay. Peter speaks for all seekers who cautiously
      explore a fuller understanding of deeper commitment
      and the ensuing consequences of following and serving
      Jesus.

      Knowledge can empower. Knowledge can also threaten
      our security. Fuller understanding might cause
      change and totally disrupt our comfort zone. We
      may need to leave the comfort and security of our
      birth and cultural religions in order to follow
      Jesus with more alertness. It is easier to remain
      spiritually dull with the status quo.

      In my kitchen is a dull knife. It is practically
      useless. I need to sharpen it so it can be useful.
      At the moment, it only takes up space and can barely
      slice through soft butter. It is dull from my neglect
      and probably from overuse. Our spiritual lives can
      also become dull through unconscious neglect and
      fatigue resulting from overuse. We can also become
      dull through exhaustion, stress, and abusive religious
      practices that can stifle God's creative spirit in us.

      Jesus wants us to be sharp, that is, alert and
      attentive to his teachings. We are to be
      intentionally open to God. And guess what? We
      might be surprised with God. Our lives could be
      transformed. We could find ourselves being used
      by God for great things. Are you ready?

      Show us where we are spiritually dull, God.
      Help us become alert and sharp-witted in our
      understanding of your words. Sharpen us. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free