Chi Rho Connection, Vol. VII, No. 10

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2006

      Vol. VII, No. 10

      1. Episcopal Church, like MCC, to be Headed
      by a Woman!
      2. Children Retell Familiar Bible Stories
      3. May We Suggest Chi Rho Cards?
      4. Step Number 4: "Face and Deal with your
      5. "Christian with a Twist"
      6. Sanctoral Cycle
      7. Adam's Last Word

      This issue's Quote:

      In the Anglican Book of Common Prayer, in the service
      used to ordain a bishop, has these prophetic words,
      "Let the whole world see and know, that things which
      were cast down are being raised up, and things which
      had grown old are being made new." Amen.

      1. Episcopal Church, like MCC, to be Headed
      by a Woman!

      Has the Metropolitan Community Church once again
      spoken a Word of prophesy to the Church Universal
      with the election of the Rev. Elder Nancy Wilson
      as Moderator of the largely LGBT denomination? It
      seems so, with the election of the Right Rev.
      Katharine Jefferts Schori, bishop of Nevada, as
      the presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church in
      the United States.

      Congratulations to the new "PB," as American
      Episcopalians like to call the head of their
      denomination, as well as to the Episcopal Church
      which continues to reject the theology of exclusion
      and "purity" that its more conservative members
      keep trying to foist on the American branch of the
      Anglican Communion. That notion of purity includes
      opposition to the ordination of Gay and Lesbian
      people; their elevation to the episcopacy (becoming
      a bishop), like the Rt. Rev. Gene Robinson; but also
      includes notions of biblical inerrancy, opposition
      to interfaith worship, women priests and bishops,
      and remarriage after divorce. In other words, these
      conservatives totally embrace the logic of all purity
      movements, which is to exclude people who are different.

      The delicious irony, of course, is that these
      disgruntled conservatives turn to none other than
      the notorious homophobe, misogynist, and crypto-
      fascist Peter Akinola, the Primate of Nigeria.
      Archbishop Peter fancies himself the true Archbishop
      of Canterbury, which he has mistakenly places
      somewhere in Nigeria, and is eager to serve as
      bishop over the disgruntled (and wealthy) American,
      Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, and even English
      Anglican Churches who hate the idea of Gays, Lesbians,
      Women, and God only knows who else becoming priests
      and bishops.

      Never mind the suspect theology of the Nigerian branch
      of the Anglican Communion on such issues as polygamy,
      not to mention the role of women in ministry and the
      savage oppression of Gay and Lesbian people. Never
      mind the traditional proscription in the world-wide
      Anglican Communion of Bishops meddling in the affairs
      of other dioceses. Never mind the fact that Jesus
      always sided with the oppressed and marginalized and
      outcast. Archbishop Peter has his eyes on the prize
      and the prize is control of the world-wide Anglican
      Church and the imposition of his repressive, un-
      Christian, and hateful theology on everyone else.
      Never mind.

      Bishop Jack Iker, of the Fort Worth, Texas diocese
      has already appealed to the Archbishop of Canterbury
      to take his diocese out of the American church and
      under the Episcopal oversight of another, more
      acceptable (meaning male) Bishop. Other conservative
      dioceses and churches will likely follow.

      It looks as if the majority of delegates at the
      Episcopal Church's General Convention in Columbus,
      Ohio, have voted to remain pure and true to the
      teachings of Jesus Christ, not the likes of Bishop
      Iker and Archbishop Akinola. Jesus taught about
      inclusion, not exclusion, about tolerance, not
      discrimination, about love, not hate. And we
      have a right to celebrate with our brothers and
      sisters in the Episcopal Church in the US not only
      over their overwhelming vote to be led by Bishop
      Jefferts Schori, but over their willingness to stand
      up for a Gospel of Inclusion and Acceptance.

      As the Book of Common Prayer says in the service of
      consecration of a bishop, "Let the whole world see
      and know, that things which were cast down are being
      raised up, and things which had grown old are being
      made new." Amen and Amen.

      2. Children Retell Familiar Bible Stories

      Gleaned from the Internet, with no attribution.
      These may have been floating around the ether for
      a while and we apologize if you have read them
      before, but we found them amusing.

      STORY OF ELIJAH. The Sunday school teacher was
      carefully explaining the story of Elijah the Prophet
      and the false prophets of Baal. She explained how
      Elijah built the altar, put wood upon it, cut the
      steer in pieces, and laid it upon the altar. And
      then, Elijah commanded the people of God to fill
      four barrels of water and pour it over the altar.
      He had them do this four times "Now, said the
      teacher, "can anyone in the class tell me why the
      Lord would have Elijah pour water over the steer
      on the altar?" A little girl in the back of the
      room started waving her hand, "I know! I know!"
      she said. "To make the gravy!"

      LOT'S WIFE. The Sunday School teacher was describing
      how Lot's wife looked back and turned into a pillar of
      salt, when little Jason interrupted, "My Mummy looked
      back once, while she was driving," he announced
      triumphantly, "and she turned into a telephone pole!"

      GOOD SAMARITAN. A Sunday school teacher was telling
      her class the story of the Good Samaritan, in which
      a man was beaten, robbed and left for dead. She
      described the situation in vivid detail so her
      students would catch the drama. Then, she asked
      the class, "If you saw a person lying on the roadside,
      all wounded and bleeding, what would you do?" A
      thoughtful little girl broke the hushed silence,
      "I think I'd throw up."

      DID NOAH FISH? A Sunday school teacher asked, "Do
      you think Noah did a lot of fishing when he was on
      the Ark?" "No," replied David. "How could he, with
      just two worms?"

      HIGHER POWER. A Sunday school teacher said to her
      children, "We have been learning how powerful kings
      and queens were in Bible times. But, there is a
      higher power. Can anybody tell me what it is?"
      One child blurted out, "Aces!"

      MOSES & THE RED SEA. Nine-year-old Joey was asked
      by his mother what he had learned in Sunday school.
      "Well, Mom, our teacher told us how God sent Moses
      behind enemy lines on a rescue mission to lead the
      Israelites out of Egypt. When he got to the Red Sea,
      he had his army build a pontoon bridge and all the
      people walked across safely. Then, he radioed
      headquarters for reinforcements. They sent bombers
      to blow up the bridge and all the Israelites were
      saved." "Now, Joey, is that really what your teacher
      taught you?" his mother asked. "Well, no, Mom. But,
      if I told it the way the teacher did, you'd never
      believe it!"

      THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD. A Sunday School teacher
      decided to have her young class memorize one of the
      most quoted passages in the Bible; Psalm 23. She
      gave the youngsters a month to learn the verse.
      Little Rick was excited about the task, but, he
      just couldn't remember the Psalm. After much practice,
      he could barely get past the first line. On the day
      that the kids were scheduled to recite Psalm 23 in
      front of the congregation, Rick was so nervous. When
      it was his turn, he stepped up to the microphone and
      said proudly, "The Lord is my Shepherd, and that's
      all I need to know."

      LITERAL TRANSLATION. Sunday after church, a Mom asked
      her very young daughter what the lesson was about.
      The daughter answered, "Don't be scared, you'll get
      your quilt." Needless to say, the Mom was perplexed.
      Later in the day, the pastor stopped by for tea and
      the Mom asked him what that morning's Sunday school
      lesson was about. He said, "Be not afraid, thy
      comforter is coming."

      3. May We Suggest Chi Rho Cards?

      Chi Rho Cards: A line of Gay and Lesbian greeting
      cards from Chi Rho Press.

      We are bringing back our line of greeting cards,
      originally made available in 1993. With original
      artwork by talented New York artist Timothy Leetch,
      Chi Rho Cards are designed by and for the Lesbian
      and Gay community. Chi Rho Cards are printed on
      100% recycled paper and are affordably priced,
      selling single cards (for $1.49 each), in packs
      of five of one design (for $6.95), packs of ten
      of one design (for $12.95), and in a sample pack
      of two of each of the eight cards (for $16.95).

      Women's Relationship Card. A religiously-themed card
      for a Lesbian couple, suitable for Holy Unions,
      Anniversaries, legal marriages, or just to celebrate
      their relationship. On the cover, a dove of peace
      holding entwined female symbols is superimposed over
      the cross. Inside: "God's Blessings on Your

      Men's Relationship Card. A religiously-themed card for
      your favorite Gay male couple, suitable for Holy Unions,
      Anniversaries, legal marriages, or just to celebrate their
      relationship. On the cover, two men stand hand in hand in
      a grand cathedral. Inside: "God's Blessings on Your

      Lesbians' Anniversary Card. Two women, very much in love,
      silhouetted on a seashore, make this a striking card for a
      Lesbian couple's anniversary. Inside: "Happy Anniversary!"

      Gay Men's Anniversary Card. An intimate scene of a Gay male
      couple's bathroom decorates our card to celebrate your
      favorite Gay couple's anniversary. "His and His" towels
      are next to a steamed up mirror on which is written, "I
      luv U" in a heart. Inside: "Happy Anniversary!"

      All Purpose Anniversary Card. Our all purpose anniversary
      card is ideal to celebrate anniversaries of relationships,
      employment, sobriety, or any other special occasion. On
      the cover, festive cards pinned to spell out "Happy
      Anniversary." Inside: blank so you may write your own
      specific message.

      Get Well Card. Send our little bear to cheer up a friend
      who is ill, and speed their recovery. On the cover, little
      Aloysius the Teddy Bear in his sick bed. Inside: "I Can't
      Bear That You Are Ill. Get Well Soon."

      Sympathy Card. An empty chair poignantly calls to mind the
      loss of a loved one, through death or divorce. Inside:
      "Grieving With You at Your Loss. You are in my Prayers."

      Thank You Card. Our leaping figure celebrates all that we
      have to be thankful for. Express your gratitude with this
      joyous card. Inside: blank, write your own specific message.

      All Chi Rho Cards measure 4-1/4" wide by 5-1/2" high and
      come with plain white envelopes. Our packaging isn't fancy,
      to save you money.

      Order your selection of Chi Rho Cards now! Single cards are
      $1.49 each, packs of five of one design are $6.95, packs of
      ten of one design are $12.95, and a sample pack of two of
      each of the eight cards is $16.95; plus shipping and handling.

      Find them and see pictures of each card at

      4. Step Number 4: "Face and Deal with your

      Step Number 4 in the "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," but the Rev. Dr. Rembert Truluck, is to "Face
      and Deal with your Anger."

      Here is the introductory material from chapter 9 of
      "Steps to Recovery from Bible Abuse," in which Dr.
      Truluck outlines the fourth step needed to recover
      from Bible abuse.

      The Fourth Step: Face and Deal With Your Anger

      Anger toward people and toward God or yourself can
      delay your recovery. Resist seeing yourself as a

      Let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow
      to anger; for human anger does not achieve the
      righteousness of God.
      James 1:19-20

      How Jesus faced and dealt with his own anger is
      demonstrated in Mark 3:1-7, which is the basis for
      the first lesson in the Fourth Step. Jesus began
      dealing with anger by recognizing that he was angry
      and by taking appropriate steps to deal with it.
      The emotions of Jesus are given special attention
      in the Gospel of Mark. Read through Mark again and
      notice how often the human feelings of Jesus, such
      as compassion, grief, amazement, etc., are brought
      out. How Jesus handled his own feelings can be very
      instructive to us in equipping us to recover and heal
      from the abuses of sick, oppressive religion.

      Anger is a prevailing feature of the current gay
      lifestyle. Oppressed, abused people are usually
      frustrated, and anger is the natural outgrowth of
      frustration. The second lesson in the Fourth Step
      will explore the origins and dynamics of anger and
      suggest practical help in handling your anger.

      The words "mad" and "anger" are used to mean the
      same thing, because anger makes us at least "a
      little bit crazy" and sometimes makes us into raving
      maniacs. We cannot over emphasize the importance of
      gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered people
      learning to recognize and control their anger.
      Anger is a very natural and healthy emotion, but
      when it develops into a lifestyle or an expression
      of obsessive/compulsive behavior, anger kills.

      Additional Resources

      See a very helpful (and entertaining, with lots of
      cartoons) recent bestseller by Redford Williams, M.D.
      and Virginia Williams, Ph.D., "Anger Kills:" Harper,

      Buy the complete book, "Steps to Recovery from Bible
      Abuse," on the Chi Rho Press Web site, at this link:

      5. "Christian with a Twist"

      Here is a selection from our second major book of
      reflections, "Christian with a Twist: Reflections
      on Scripture that are a bit more inclusive, a bit
      more relevant, and with a bit of a bite," by the
      late William Gaston.

      "Christian with a Twist" is available for $19.95 each,
      $14.95 each for six or more copies, plus shipping and
      handling. You can read more about it and order it at

      As the subtitle suggests, Bill's writing has a bit
      of a bite, and we believe you will enjoy his sharp,
      but loving take on Scripture, life, and faith.

      Here is a selection entitled "Who Turned Out the Lights?"
      from the Pentecost and Ordinary Time section of "Christian
      with a Twist."

      Please read Genesis 1:1-4, Matthew 28:16-20, and 2
      Corinthians 13:11-13.

      Enough already! God created the earth and called it very
      good. God sent Jesus to teach the simple and honest truth
      of God's love. Paul established the church. It has a few
      warts and weaknesses, but still truth and beauty can
      certainly be found within it.

      God's kingdom is at hand, but still mostly we do not see
      the light. We look around waiting for someone to show us
      the way out of some darkness that we must be creating for

      People who have had near death experiences report seeing
      a blinding, beautiful light. I expect to be tired and
      wanting to close my eyes and rest when I die. I want to
      see God's light now while I am alive and awake.

      Jesus said I could and by the grace of God I shall.
      Anything that blocks my view will just have to get out
      of the way. The light was turned on a long time ago,
      and God did not give anyone the power to switch it off.

      6. Sanctoral Cycle

      As a regular feature in the Chi Rho Connection, we
      are offering up traditional saints listed in the 2006
      Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary from today until
      our next scheduled electronic newsletter.

      Thurs., June 29, St. Peter (Patron saint: fishers).
      The successors of Peter: St. Peter lives on in his
      successors and guides and feeds the flock committed
      to him. The reality of our devotion to him is the
      surest test of the purity of faith. "Where Peter
      is, there is the Church," St. Ambrose. "I will give
      you the keys of the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 16:19).

      Fri., June 30, St. Paul. Whole conversions: St. Paul
      complains in his letter to the Christians at the church
      of Philippi that all seek the things that are their
      own, and not the things that are of Christ. See if
      these words apply to you, and resolve to give yourself
      to God without reserve. "Wake up, O sleeper, rise
      from the dead, and Christ will shine on you" (Ephesians

      Sat., July 1, St. Isidore of Madrid. Simple faith:
      St. Isidore became a saint because he preferred prayer
      with God to conversation with other people, and because
      he trusted the divine power and goodness rather than
      any human aid. "Commit your way to the Lord; trust
      in God and God will do this; God will make your
      righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of
      your cause like the noonday sun" (Psalm 37:5).

      Sun., July 2, Bd. Peter of Luxemburg. Self-denial:
      Bd. Peter teaches us how, by self-denial, rank, riches,
      the highest dignities, and all this world can give may
      serve to make a saint, and that in extreme youth. "And
      Jesus said to his disciples, 'If anyone would come after
      me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow
      me'" (Matthew 16:24).

      Mon., July 3, St. Thomas (Patron saint: architects). The
      triumph of faith: Discard all notions, doubts, and
      uncertainties and learn to overcome old weaknesses as
      did St. Thomas, who "by his ignorance instructed the
      ignorant, and by his incredulity served the faith of
      all ages." "By his confession and touching of the wounds
      he taught us what we ought to believe. He saw one thing
      and believed another. His eyes beheld Christ alone, but
      by his faith he confessed God," St. Augustine.

      Tues., July 4, St. Elizabeth of Portugal (Patron saint:
      jealousy). Daily attendance at church: In the Eucharist,
      St. Elizabeth daily found strength to bear suspicion and
      cruelty patiently; and by that same holy sacrifice her
      innocence was proved. By neglecting opportunities of
      daily communion and church fellowship we lose opportunities
      for gaining strength.

      Wed., July 5, St. Antony Zaccaria. Fulfilling 'apostleship:'
      By his following of St. Paul's example in going out to all
      people, and by the use he made of the Apostle's letters,
      St. Antony Zaccaria gives us an example in turn. We must
      always be ready to help our fellow persons in every way
      that we can; and we should constantly re-read and ponder
      Paul's expositions of the Christian faith and life.

      Thurs., July 6, St. Maria Goretti. Triumph over sin:
      Maria Goretti had led a very ordinary life. But in spite
      of her simplicity, her great faith and love for God made
      her truly extraordinary. This was the triumph of the
      little girl who loved God and hated sin.

      Fri., July 7, St. Arsenius. Silence: Let us learn from
      the example of St. Arsenius that it is not enough to
      punish our bodies; we must also keep a careful watch
      over our hearts. Those who attend to the exterior alone
      are like statues that shine on the outside with gold and
      polish, but inside are full of dirt and rubbish. "God
      knows how much I love the brethren, but I cannot be with
      God and people at the same time; so I will not leave God
      to be with them," St. Arsenius.

      Sat., July 8, St. Odo of Canterbury. Brotherly corrections:
      In correcting we should use all possible gentleness and
      meekness, always remembering that, if similarly tempted,
      we should ourselves have fallen yet more gravely.

      Sun., July 9, St. Veronica Giuliani. Devotion to the
      passion: "Blessed be God! Everything seems little that
      is suffered for God's love. Blessed be the simple Cross!
      Blessed be pure suffering!" St. Veronica Giulani. St.
      Veronica teaches us that it is honorable and just to
      deny our own natural inclinations by being lovers of
      the Cross.

      Mon., July 10, St. Alban (Patron saint: refugees).
      Selflessness: When a persecution of the Christians in
      England broke out a certain cleric flying for his life
      took refuge in Alban's house. Alban sheltered him, and
      after some days, moved by his example, he received
      baptism. Later on, when the governor's emissaries
      came to search the house, Alban disguised himself in
      the cloak of his guest and gave himself up in his place.
      He was dragged before the judge, scourged, and, when he
      would not deny his faith, condemned to death.

      Tues., July 11, St. Benedict (Patron saint: kidney
      disease sufferers). Power of prayer: In all of the
      saints' lives, one thing is common to all of them:
      they never feared to do any work, no matter how
      menial or tiring, because they distrusted "self"
      and relied wholly on the power of prayer for support
      and assistance. "Whatever good work you begin to do,
      first ask God earnestly to bring it to a good conclusion,"
      St. Benedict.

      Wed., July 12, St. John of Gualbert. Forgiving your
      enemies: St. John of Gualbert's defining moment of
      heroism came when he forgave his enemies. We learn
      from him to never resolve our issues of anger or ill
      treatment by attempting to revenge ourselves in deed,
      in word, or in thought. "I cannot refuse what you ask
      in Christ's name. I grant you your life and I give you
      my friendship. Pray that God may forgive me my sins,"
      St. John of Gualbert.

      Thurs., July 13, St. Brigid of Kildare (Patron saint:
      healers). Mary as our role model: We all have to seek
      to resemble the mother of Jesus in purity of heart.
      This grace St. Brigid's prayers have obtained in a
      wonderful degree for the daughters of her native land
      (Ireland) and she will never fail to ask it of God for
      all those who turn to her. "If you love Mary and wish
      to please her, make her your model," St. Bernard.

      Fri., July 14, St. Camillus de Lellis (Patron saint:
      hospitals). Prayers for the sick: St. Camillus saw
      the sick as living images of Christ, and by ministering
      to them in this spirit atoned for the sins of his youth,
      led a life precious in merit, and from a troublesome
      soldier became a gentle, loving spirit. "Charity does
      not seek its own convenience. We must give the spur to
      this jade of a body of ours, to make it trot on and get
      forward. The good servant of the sick dies in the
      hospital," St. Camillus.

      Sat., July 15, St. Henry the Emperor. Offerings: St.
      Henry gave up and deprived himself of many things that
      his offerings could enrich the house of God. We spend
      money on ourselves and leave Jesus in poverty and neglect.
      "For here in the church all our wealth is treasured; here
      lies all our hope," St. John Chrysostom.

      Order the 2005-2006 Liturgical Calendar and Lectionary,
      complete with the entire year's Sanctoral Cycle, at
      this link:

      7. Adam's Last Word

      I had a wonderful birthday celebration the weekend of
      June 23 through 25. I turned 59, as I mentioned in the
      last edition of the Chi Rho Connection, or 15 Celsius.
      Of course in Queer Years, 59 is 35. I think every age
      over 35 is, well, 35. But I could be wrong.

      I took the actual day of my birthday off work from my
      secular job (Friday) and checked into a wonderful bed
      and breakfast just a few miles from my home. Check out
      the Gaithersburg Inn in Old Town Gaithersburg at
      http://www.gaithersburginn.com The owners are a
      delightful semi-retired straight couple who are very
      welcoming and accepting of LGBT folks. The B&B is in
      an 1892 Victorian house, fully and lovingly restored
      by Chris and Terry Kirtz.

      When I arrived Friday afternoon, Chris and Terry had
      tea laid for the three of us, and then I rested in my
      lovely upstairs room. My dear friend Barbara stopped
      by with a bottle of wine, which we shared with our
      hosts in the gazebo in their very large back garden.
      Then Barb and I walked a block and a half to a great
      little Thai restaurant in Old Town for a late dinner.

      Saturday featured a fabulous breakfast of waffles,
      sausage, and fresh fruit, and I spent the morning and
      early afternoon finishing up entering edits in Candace
      Chellew's excellent manuscript which we are getting
      ready for publication. Then my 12 guests started to
      arrive at the Inn for an old fashioned English tea,
      which was my birthday party. Terry and Chris continued
      to be gracious hosts and the tea was a great success.

      My son Patrick arrived Saturday evening and spent the
      night in the Inn, then after another excellent breakfast
      he went to church with me at Open Door MCC in Boyds,
      Maryland, my home congregation, followed by lunch with
      friends. In all it was a splendid birthday weekend!

      I really encourage you all to become Guardian Angels
      of Chi Rho Press. This will help us a lot as we
      prepare our next books for publication. Just $150
      for a year will make you an important participant in
      this ministry.

      Thank you!

      Gracia y paz,

      friends can order using credit cards on our Web page.
      Some of our books are also available through our Canadian
      distributor, MAP Enterprises, Mary Ann Pearson, at her
      Web page, http://www.christiangays.com