Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 2, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of July 2, 2006

      Jesus and Beelzebul

      "Then a blind and dumb demoniac was brought to Jesus,
      and Jesus healed him, so that the dumb man spoke and
      saw. And all the people were amazed, and said, 'Can
      this be the Son of David?' But when the Pharisees
      heard it they said, 'It is only by Be-el'zebul, the
      prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.'
      Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said to them, 'Every
      kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and
      no city or house divided against itself will stand;
      and if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against
      himself; how then will his kingdom stand? And if I
      cast out demons by Be-el'zebul, by whom do your sons
      cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges.
      But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out
      demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.'"
      Matthew 12:22-28

      The crowds continued to be amazed by Jesus. They
      wondered if he was the one of whom the prophet
      Isaiah spoke. Jesus mystified and intrigued them.
      Who was he? The crowds wondered out loud if he
      could possibly be the Messiah, the "Son of David."
      But the Pharisees disagreed and conspired for his
      death. They accused Jesus of being the evil ruler
      of demons before the marveling crowds. Jesus knew
      their thoughts and spoke with tremendous insight.
      A kingdom divided against itself cannot survive.
      Evil cannot cast out evil. Only the Spirit of the
      living God can cast out evil. If Jesus is casting
      out demons by God-power, then God is in our midst.

      I have always wondered what the newly healed
      formerly blind and mute man believed about Jesus.
      Surely his first spoken words were of deep gratitude.
      He probably would have been horrified to realize
      religious authorities were planning to destroy his
      compassionate healer. His miracle was obviously
      from God.

      Could God be in our midst today? Do we need new eyes
      and new ears to experience the Spirit of God in our
      lives? Where are we in the story? Perhaps we
      identify with the blind and mute individual.
      Perhaps we identify with the Pharisees and resist
      God's voice when it extends beyond our religious
      understandings. The Pharisees were spiritually
      blind and obtuse when it came to Jesus, the
      compassionate Healer.

      God, give us new eyes and ears of faith to experience
      Jesus Christ. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free