Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 4, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of June 4, 2006

      The cost of following Jesus

      "Now when Jesus saw great crowds around him, he gave
      orders to go over to the other side. And a scribe
      came up and said to him, 'Teacher, I will follow you
      wherever you go.' And Jesus said to him, 'Foxes have
      holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son
      of man has nowhere to lay his head.' Another of the
      disciples said to him, 'Lord, let me first go and bury
      my father.' But Jesus said to him, 'Follow me, and
      leave the dead to bury their own dead.'"
      Matthew 8:18-22

      This passage has been dear to my heart for many years.
      While studying for my masters in divinity, I cared for
      my mother as she struggled with advanced cancer. She
      died shortly before I graduated. It literally broke
      my heart to leave my grieving family to serve as a
      military chaplain on active duty so soon after her
      funeral. Years later as I struggled with ministerial
      loneliness while serving in a remote overseas area, I
      remember reading these verses again with fresh power
      and a new awareness of Jesus' own loneliness. Now, a
      decade later, I again pause and reflect on the personal
      cost of following Jesus in my life. Even after finishing
      a doctor of ministry program, I still need to sit with
      these verses as if for the first time and hear them with
      fresh new power and awareness. These verses contain a
      lifetime of spiritual lessons for all readers who desire
      to follow Jesus.

      Not all are called to leave everything to follow the
      Teacher. Sometimes we are called to stay home and be
      a local witness of God's truth in our lives. We may
      also be called to leave familiar surroundings and
      friends to serve overseas or relocate elsewhere.
      Following Jesus is not easy locally or globally.

      Jesus continues to call people to live remarkable lives
      of faithful obedience to his teachings. Following Christ
      involves listening and learning, alertness and practice.
      When we follow him, we can expect great moments of joy.
      Anticipate an adventure with God.

      Jesus, I will follow you all the days of my life.
      Show me how to begin today.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find
      this book on our Web site at

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free