Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 30, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2006
      Chi Rho Reflection for the Week of April 30, 2006

      **********

      Please become a Guardian Angel of Chi Rho Press.
      We need your prayers and your financial assistance.
      Go to http://www.chirhopress.com/sponsor.html.
      Thank you!

      Lusty eyes and straying hearts

      "But I say to you that every man who looks at a woman
      lustfully has already committed adultery with her in
      his heart."
      Matthew 5:28

      I find myself reflecting that it is easy to become
      obsessed with the details of sexually explicit acts.
      It makes news. Sex is powerful. But more importantly,
      how do we integrate our sexuality with our spirituality
      in a way that honors our body and spirit, and our God?

      According to Jesus, I am guilty of adultery. I have
      eyes that look at the world around me. I live in a
      twenty-first century American culture that is sexually
      sophisticated and lust saturated. I also live in a
      world full of lonely people, hungry to be loved and
      to love fully in return. John Milton is said to have
      written, "Loneliness was the first thing that God's eye
      named not good." Over the years, as a chaplain and
      minister, I have had many people come to see me as
      they agonized through extramarital relationships.
      People of all sexual orientations are deeply affected
      by adultery. Adultery is a spiritual concern.

      Adultery was actually a popular global topic of
      discussion as we closed the twentieth century with
      the infamous Starr Report. This Internet document
      gave the world instant information on the alleged
      sexual practices between President Bill Clinton and
      Monica Lewinsky. An entire generation of small
      children began asking parents many questions about
      adultery and oral sex.

      Jesus has a number of difficult teachings. This is
      one of them. If we harbor lusty eyes, we have
      straying hearts. Jesus cuts to the heart of the
      matter. Our inner sexual thoughts and practices
      affect our life with God.

      Read the other verses (Matthew 5:27-30) around this
      difficult teaching. Jesus continues his teaching by
      saying that if some part of your body causes you to
      sin, cut it off and throw it away. Please realize
      this is a figurative and not a literal saying. We
      are not called to self-mutilate our body parts or
      blind ourselves. We can cut out enticements that
      could lead us into adultery. On the Internet,
      pornography proliferates and comes to our e-mail
      boxes. Links can lead us into steamy cyber alleys
      of spiritual danger. In both virtual reality and
      in our daily lives with others, we are called to be
      pure of heart. It is the Jesus way.

      God, help us in our life today with this hard saying
      of Jesus. Help us to learn from it. Amen.

      "Living as the Beloved" is available for $20.95 each
      $15.75 each plus shipping and handing. You can find

      Subscribe to the Chi Rho Connection, our free